IGN Second opinion on Mortal Kombat

Who cares about someone else's opinion? I don't get why people get so mad over what SOMEONE ELSE thinks. He has just as much of a right to an opinion just like *gasp* the rest of you do.

I agree and disagree. If this guy actually did the review he would probably give it a really bad score and to the eyes of the casual fans who just wants to check it out it does matter when it costs $65. But if your'e an MK fan like all of us yea it doesn't matter because we still going to buy it anyways.

I agree and disagree. If this guy actually did the review he would probably give it a really bad score and to the eyes of the casual fans who just wants to check it out it does matter when it costs $65. But if your'e an MK fan like all of us yea it doesn't matter because we still going to buy it anyways.

What does the cost have to do with it? Opinions are opinions, it's as simple as that. Just because a bunch of people say a game is awesome/sucks doesn't make it true. If someone is going to hold back on buying a game because of an opinion, that is their problem, and if someone is going to shell out the cash on a game people say is great but isn't actually enjoyable to the buyer, that is their problem. It's best to find out for yourself and if you are on edge about spending money on a game you may not like, there is always the option of renting or borrowing from a friend ;)

Maybe it is just me but I am against taking the advice of people who do reviews. I would rather play it myself and judge.

What does the cost have to do with it? Opinions are opinions, it's as simple as that. Just because a bunch of people say a game is awesome/sucks doesn't make it true. If someone is going to hold back on buying a game because of an opinion, that is their problem, and if someone is going to shell out the cash on a game people say is great but isn't actually enjoyable to the buyer, that is their problem. It's best to find out for yourself and if you are on edge about spending money on a game you may not like, there is always the option of renting or borrowing from a friend ;)

Maybe it is just me but I am against taking the advice of people who do reviews. I would rather play it myself and judge.

Well i think it does matter somewhat if its from an legitiment site that review games, for example i never been a fps fan and when i saw the 1st modern warfare reviews i decided to buy the game cause it was getting high 9's across the board so i wanted to check it out. For some pple it doesnt matter that it cost $65 but for some it does. And not everyone wants to rent a game. Either way i'm just saying critics have a lot to do wit the casual pple but not for pple who already made up their minds that they going to get it anyways. But at the end it's all about word of mouth that wins anyways.

Eh, thing is I know very few people (if at all) that only look at one site for a review. Plus, an 8 is still a great score anyways.

Eh, thing is I know very few people (if at all) that only look at one site for a review. Plus, an 8 is still a great score anyways.
8.5 is a great score. Anything below is considered a marketing "failure" for many big companies (I'm talking EA, Ubisoft etc).

Reviews actually impact sales in a big way. A game that has 9/10 average will sell 10 times more copies than 8/10 average. That literally represents millions of dollars. That's why some shit/average games get crazy high scores sometimes: big companies are willing to pay a lot of money to review sites to give their games a higher score.

Who cares about someone else's opinion? I don't get why people get so mad over what SOMEONE ELSE thinks. He has just as much of a right to an opinion just like *gasp* the rest of you do.

Is that a picture of you with a lampshade on your head? :-D

Personally, I believe that the people who comment on someone else's opinion are merely sharing that which is their own. But I get creative when I'm bored, and not being able to sleep at 4am helped me come up with this flowchart that pretty much sums up my opinion of them. http://i53.tinypic.com/14lht76.png

LOL WOW You hit the nail right on the head, dude. And **** this Ign guy/guys. I love the game, I'll spread that by word of mouth. Don't need a shitty biased site to spread the word.

Mark Ryan is so trash.
"Its a fighting game for people who don't like fighters."

You sir are an idiot. First off, MK did what SF was too scared to do. It had gore, mayhem, a story that was actually EASY to follow, secret kontent etc etc.

No one disagrees, SF paved the way. But just because MK came after doesn't make it a ripoff. When it was released it made people say "HOLY CRAP!" in the arcades because no one had ever seen anything like it before.

Your Capcom fanboyism is shining bright.

Tool

A rip off, a fighter for people who hate them. Who is this moron? He knows nothing of people who love beat em up's. I played beat em up's since well before I gained pubes. This 'review' is an insult to a gamer who's followed the series and many other like me.

Least they can all see NRS is taking the right step with this game.

Other then that, I don't care much for their opinion.

Least they can all see NRS is taking the right step with this game.

Other then that, I don't care much for their opinion.

+1 I totally agree...

To me IGN in any case has been biased and had some shitty reviews on a lot of games.
Which I end getting anyways and then to me personally it turns out to be one of the best games ever played.

They are entitles to their opionions just like everyone else, they say their say...take it with a pinch of salt, and get and try it for yourself first. Just my 2C

This bit from Brian Altano is a joke:
Really? Another Mortal Kombat game? Haven't we spent enough time revisiting that stupid franchise?

Yet they will bum the milked franchise of Call of Duty.

Pathetic.
Who played this game and can't consider this a huge trolling? lol.

The game is too good to deny, anyone in the gaming business that tries to say otherwise will pretty much lose automatically his credibility as a reviewer. Specially if they do it like a 12 year old talking.

And these are not "SF Fanboys", SF is not the main reason why they wrote these "opinions". Their stupidity is.
I wonder who is dumb enough on IGN to allow this kind of childish people to be there.

The one that blows my mind is from Brian Altano. His review summerized: "There's a great new MK and I'm mad because of it". He doesn't even talk about the game. Only 1 of them does, and it's the one that gave it an A. Now figure that out...

2 of them said this game is straight up garbage

When I first saw Mortal Kombat, I thought:
A) Now is the time! The legacy is born again!
B) This could be promising. I'll see how it plays.
C) I'll pass. I'd take Street Fighter any day.
D) This is straight-up garbage.
Executive Editor Mark Ryan Sallee: B
Not gonna lie, I've never been into Mortal Kombat. It always seemed like a juvenile knockoff of Street Fighter, even when I was a juvenile. But I've got some good friends that would swear by the first few Mortal Kombat games, so I was definitely open to a new game that harkens back to the originals. Skeptical, but open.

Executive Editor Greg Miller: B
I have fond memories of Mortal Kombat parties in Mike Boylan's basement, so seeing a game that was a return to what was awesome definitely intrigued me.

Executive Editor Scott Lowe: A
I was so pumped about Mortal Kombat prior to launch. I'm not much of a fighting game enthusiast, so I'm usually only in it for the mutilation and carnage, which the new Mortal Kombat has in spades.

Editor Brian Altano: D
Really? Another Mortal Kombat game? Haven't we spent enough time revisiting that stupid franchise? Nothing echoes the sentiments of a creatively bankrupt medium like a modernized recreation of a (mostly dumb) fighting game I played in arcades nearly two decades ago. You know, the one with poorly digitized actors and a cast of characters comprised mostly of nonsensical fighting game stereotypes and palette swapped ninjas in karate pants.

Surely those design decisions will be forsaken by a newer generation trained to enjoy the more refined offerings of today, right? Right!? Well, wrong, as it turns out...

Associate Editor Jack DeVries: D
I'll be honest, I've been burned so much by Mortal Kombat over the last decade, that my initial reaction to the game was negative. I remember seeing the banners hanging at E3 and saying to someone "F**k that, I'm not doing it again."

dumb asses it seems they only dish out good scores for c.o.d.
dumb asses(Ign)

I like gamesradar(Cheat planet) better that is were i learned of god of war and as you all know I am a fan boy and proud

Last edited: