Some things to think about to improve your skills

@critical-limit
You could edit your first post and add spoiler tags under seperate headings and include everything you posted there as well for easy access. Keep up the awesome work .

I guess you can apply that theory to a select amount of characters. Kung laos spin for example, the recovery time is so fast. You can just destroy players with his juggles and what not because that move links so well and after you pull off the spin kung lao continues like nothing happened. Its pretty unpunishable if its blocked too, its totally safe to pull off

LOL. Kung Lao's Spin. Holy fukn shit.

Can someone who has the game please find a way to counter Kung Lao's Spin.

You're opponent cannot link anything if you block it though.

I love the post. Pros & cons for each character would be great. Also details like what works best for anti air for each character, ect. The prima strat completely sucked, so it seems there's lots of people turnin to the ol interweb for strategies. I found better combos on my own than the strat had. I do a 50% mid screen combo with Ermac, when I implament the Xray, its like 38% without it, & I can do it flawlessly under pressure. I can do about the same with Sub-Zero, but Subs is alittle sluggish. Anyway, my point is we need better strats ppl, let's do it! Heh. I'm a decent player, I've been down since MK1 & have won a handfull of local MK & Street Fighter tournaments. ill help.

Kabal is my main, and from my (limited) PSN experience I have had issues with people spamming projectiles. I'm not whining or anything, as I take it as a personal flaw in my own game I can't effectively counter these kinds of people on a consistent basis. Do any more experienced players have any tips? There's always the option of jumping over them like hurdles into an air punch+combo, but this seems like an inefficient way to counter "spammers." Saw blades somewhat work, but it seems that all this effort closing this distance on someone spamming shadow slide leaves me with like 30% knocked off.

heya man, this post is awesome...i have pretty much only used reptile since day of this game being out so would be glad to help

Kabal is my main, and from my (limited) PSN experience I have had issues with people spamming projectiles. I'm not whining or anything, as I take it as a personal flaw in my own game I can't effectively counter these kinds of people on a consistent basis. Do any more experienced players have any tips? There's always the option of jumping over them like hurdles into an air punch+combo, but this seems like an inefficient way to counter "spammers." Saw blades somewhat work, but it seems that all this effort closing this distance on someone spamming shadow slide leaves me with like 30% knocked off.
Heya man, lots of people spam projectiles and tbh i do see it as a bit of a cheap shot and a flaw in them as they dont have the confidence to actually face you head to head properly but as your main is kabal you have a huge advantage...the nomad rush is one of the quickest attacks and cant immobilise the opponent however your timing will need to be perfect...as soon as that projectile hits your block you launch the nomad dash and even if they clip you but the rush lands, they will still be dizzy by the time you get up...hope it helps a bit man

After facing a GREAT player online in a set of matches. (First time I've been legitimately beat in MK in months). He gave me some tips.

I jump too much, he said I rely on the jump punch too much for my combo starter.
Also I have this horrible habit of jumping before using Sektor's teleport punch, I do it every time.

I try to break myself but I just keep doing it.

I need more training.

After facing a GREAT player online in a set of matches. (First time I've been legitimately beat in MK in months). He gave me some tips.

I jump too much, he said I rely on the jump punch too much for my combo starter.
Also I have this horrible habit of jumping before using Sektor's teleport punch, I do it every time.

I try to break myself but I just keep doing it.

I need more training.

What a nice guy to give you advice. most people at high level have a good mindset so they tend to be somewhat nice people as long as you are being a respectful loser. Glad you learned something from fighting someone better. To be fair to yourself though, If he's the first guy to beat you in so long, you should really consider that your habits you formed worked against all the bad players you played against really well so you come to feel safe doing it. You should've added that guy to friends list and asked him if you could challenge him again.

What you experienced against that guy is parallel to what I mentioned in my first post about fighting people better than you.
Playing against someone WAY better. Now although you may not get as many opportunities to practice combos, or do mind games, because this player is always 2 steps ahead of you. These fights are necessary to play so you can learn what you thought "works" You find out it does not work. For instance, Lets say you always teleport punch a certain move and it worked on your evenly matched opponent. A Pro is way less forgiving and better at execution. That evenly matched player might have just been 4 frames off from doing the correct input each time and gave up trying that input thinking it doesn't work. A Pro will make it work every time. Playing a pro is the best way to teach you what works/doesn't work. a Pro will also make your habits/patterns painfully obvious. You may not realize you jump too much fighting against evenly matched people or newbs. but if you get countered 6 times when you jump the pro is TEACHING you that your jumping is predictable and you need to try something else. Or when you do a getup special attack EVERYTIME you're knocked down. A Pro will call you out on it and read your patterns, and start blocking when you get knocked down.

===============

Have you tried jumping straight up to dodge it and then before you hit the ground(as low as possible) shoot your projectile?
Have you tried just blocking, then releasing block dash in, then get ready to block again. Be wary of their jump when you dash, also be weary of their dash back. IF they keep dashing back. Then well Keep at it you'll eventually get him in a corner which will give you massive damage when he's finally go no where to go except either into you, or jumping into your anti air(watch for their jump.)

Sorry I never touched kabal out of story mode so I don't know his answers i'm just theorykombating at the moment.

Last edited:
If he's the first guy to beat you in so long, you should really consider that your habits you formed worked against all the bad players you played against really well so you come to feel safe doing it.

Yeah, all of my friends and family suck at MK, all FPS lovers.

I actually listened to his advice in the next match I played.
I did better than usual.

I have a strange "fear", that if I stay on the ground, I'll get hit by a wakeup attack or something.

But going by his strategy, I've realized that not everyone is a mind reading punishing fiend.

I've most likely developed this habit from playing MK AI my whole life instead of good players.

BTW his gamertag was wrecklessKANE if ou want to try him.

Yeah, all of my friends and family suck at MK, all FPS lovers.

I actually listened to his advice in the next match I played.
I did better than usual.

I have a strange "fear", that if I stay on the ground, I'll get hit by a wakeup attack or something.

But going by his strategy, I've realized that not everyone is a mind reading punishing fiend.

I've most likely developed this habit from playing MK AI my whole life instead of good players.

BTW his gamertag was wrecklessKANE if ou want to try him.

I'm a PS3 player, so if you're online I imagine you're X-box. So I don't think I could play him.

If you expect a wake up attack, Try just blocking. (Or for some characters ducking). Most wake up attacks from specials are punishable. Don't get me wrong there are a few safe ones. Raiden's teleport comes to mind. IF you see raiden teleport I usually instinctively hit the grab button then spam square incase he grabs me first. Raiden has little lag after teleport so he's a bit scary when he uses it. But you can hit him as soon as he arrives if you time it right. Wake up attacks can be scary but if you punish them enough you'll eventually force him to stop it and try something else.

Heya man, lots of people spam projectiles and tbh i do see it as a bit of a cheap shot and a flaw in them as they dont have the confidence to actually face you head to head properly but as your main is kabal you have a huge advantage...the nomad rush is one of the quickest attacks and cant immobilise the opponent however your timing will need to be perfect...as soon as that projectile hits your block you launch the nomad dash and even if they clip you but the rush lands, they will still be dizzy by the time you get up...hope it helps a bit man

In fighting games, you have to have a sense of accountability. Don't fault others for using projectiles when you have have problems getting around them.

Really good stuff guys. And yeah, PSN is making it difficult to improve atm, but I've since been hammering home dash canceling and sneaking more charges in. Just waiting on Sony now.

easy wanna get to be a better fighter,,,,send $50 to my mk training class,,ill teach u everything u need to know,,,$50 membership includeds dvd,personal training from me,and a tshirt just ask backbackback lowpunch how great my class is ,,,hes one of my favorite students

In fighting games, you have to have a sense of accountability. Don't fault others for using projectiles when you have have problems getting around them.
true and if you read i never said i can't get round them, they just ruin a perfectly good game...main reason you play a game is to have fun and are you saying that a fun match is too stay at opposite ends of the arena and just hurl projectiles coz that sounds like a crap match to me...ppl who spam projectiles just ruin a match or cry like a ***** if you play as a fighter that can reverse like kratos' golden fleece for example.

Great advice.!!

it's a shame that 90% of online matches are a lag fest.. so all that advice about timing/mind games/set ups etc goes out of the window... :(