Altered Timeline or Original Timeline?

Which timeline is better (so far)?

• Total voters

EnXess

Well, here we go! Haven't seen this thread around so I might as well go for it.

Altered Timeline Pros -
- Deception's Mary Sue and Armageddon's underwhelming plot is never going to happen - or at least in the same way
- All mistakes are now undone
- Cyber Sub-Zero is a very cool character and rather powerful too
- Shake-ups in the character's loyalty
- Some characters have been explored far more
- Much richer look into the MK universe (and helped me learn a lot more than the originals did)
- Characters that appeared in the last-generation trilogy still exist and have the potential to be done justice.

Altered Timeline Cons -
- May be hard to get around the story arks of Armageddon and Deception given that Taven, Daegon, Blaze and Onaga will still exist and ignoring them would raise a lot of eyebrows
- Everything we've followed now effectively means nothing (just kidding)

I can't really think of any cons but I'm sure some of you will. So, I'm voting for the altered timeline, can't wait to see what you guys come up with as you know the MK universe far better than I do

Last edited:
Spoiler:
The only thing is that if they continue with this story is that we'll only have Raiden, JC, Sonya, Quan Chi and Shinnok. The rest will have to be post umk3 chars or completely new. (or perhaps all of them make a liu kang zombie return?) I mean... A new game without Sub-Zero and the rest of the crew? uuh... I don't know. Call me old fashioned but i want all my old characters to survive! ;}

Death in Mortal Kombat doesn't mean anything, how many times have people died and come back to life? lol

I don't like the new timeline because I don't like Cyber Sub Zero, no offense to anyone who does like him, but I don't care for him and I hope he reverts back to his human self.

Death in Mortal Kombat doesn't mean anything, how many times have people died and come back to life? lol

I don't like the new timeline because I don't like Cyber Sub Zero, no offense to anyone who does like him, but I don't care for him and I hope he reverts back to his human self.
Well it's very understandable, I'm still surprised they so drastically changed a rather iconic character. It's all up to personal preference and whilst I love his human form I enjoy a change every now and again. Then again... Ask me in a few more years and I might be screaming for a human Sub-Zero :gr_jest:

My vote is for the altered timeline...it keeps the series fresh and it will be interesting to see how far NRS will take this. Pps-Do you guys think NRS will DLC story content? Or will we have to wait for MK10

My vote is for the altered timeline...it keeps the series fresh and it will be interesting to see how far NRS will take this. Pps-Do you guys think NRS will DLC story content? Or will we have to wait for MK10
Personally I think we wont get anything except the endings for the DLC characters possibly containing clues towards some of MK10's content

MK9 timeline, I don't have a problem with them continuing with the MK4 story-line, but that about it. The rest of the MK characters/storylines were too random and convoluted. Lets do the Shinok thing and then for MK 11 make a new story-line.
I hope if Kai returns he looks more Nepalese and less African (I've worked with a few and none of them rocked corn-rows and mutton chops)

MK9 timeline, I don't have a problem with them continuing with the MK4 story-line, but that about it. The rest of the MK characters/storylines were too random and convoluted. Lets do the Shinok thing and then for MK 11 make a new story-line.
I hope if Kai returns he looks more Nepalese and less African (I've worked with a few and none of them rocked corn-rows and mutton chops)
That may be difficult given that Armageddon is still primed to happen, Raiden was told nothing about the number of fighters and he'll most likely gather an army against Shinnok/Quan Chi. Unfortunately I think we'll see the events unfold just NRS will do a good job of it this time

I think it´s super cool how they have changed the storyline. It was essentially the same main events, I mean, Shao Kahn was defeated, Shinnok is preparing his move, etc. But wow! A lot of unexpected changes, like Liu Kang becoming Raiden´s enemy (and consequently getting burned), Cyrax not being reprogrammed (or does that happen later? sorry, didn´t follow much after MK4) Ermac not changing sides, Cyber Sub-Zero, and of course, all the deaths of Earthrealms warriors. In the end, it was a reboot, telling the same story, but with enough twists to get me on the edge of my seat.

The darkest moments, specially Raiden´s decisions towards the end (like trading the souls of earthrealm warriors to Quan Chi) were so tragic, in a good way, I was like: "wtf?? could it become any worse?" And I, somehow, like tragedy because it allows us to explore the characters in their most desperate side.

Really looking forward to MKX, we all know that Shinnok is coming, but there´s definitely gonna be major changes in the storyline, so anything could happen.

I feel so pity for cybernizing Sub-Zero... but I love Altered story. For now, for the moment we have MK9 with the complete set of beloved characters ONLY, and no continuation. For the moment there are NO havics, kenshis, mavados, tremors, shujunkos, kobras, ashras and other things i hate.
So, Altered story, the Complete MK story. Well, I'd also be glad to see remade MK4 with Reiko, Kai, Fujin, Tanya and Shinnok, maybe Sareena and Kia in MK9 style, in the same 2D with 3D backgrounds:) But MK4 is where, IMHO, the real MK story ends.

Altered. We need changes to keep things interesting and imo Cyber Sub-Zero is awesome.

Altered all the way. Plus, Quan Chi owns all the souls of the departed, so they're not written out of the next one. And I personally like the idea of Darkness Kung Lao.

V

The dead heroes will fight for Netherealm and I think Liu is gonna be the most aware and choose that side for himself after what was done to him. I think he will be the new Scorpion. The alt. story makes a lot more sense and the characters are a lot more relatable and fleshed out. Alt. story all the way. Cyber Sub should've had better and unique moves tho.

The first one because i dont like the deaths in this MK, and the worst things of all: subzero's automation. But i wont vote because i like the way that this new story is told, with an story mode, good personalities, videos, dialogues and fights that makes you feel part of the story itself.

I like the Altered Timeline, it did a great job of breathing new life into some characters. It was a skillful fan service while at the same time not being afraid to take some chances and turn things upside down. It was their first chance to tell the stories of MKI, MKII, and UMK3 fully and they definitely did good.

I really enjoy the altered Timeline.
I also hope that NRS doesn't do what they usually do and just magically bring everyone back life.
I kinda hope everyone who died stays evil.
Rather then pulling Disney magic and making everyone a good guy again.

Altered is better, for me. Not only because NRS can tell the story in good ways, present it, it's just deeper. Like Butterfly Effect in some ways, story grows global. Developers just gave themselves a blank list, great potential for a good, epic plot.

Maybe even there is little hope for happy ending...

But ofc, alternative universes never end. Infinite possibilities

Personally I love the new timeline. I might change a few things or modify them. But all in all I loved story mode. I just wish they wouldve made it longer it goes by way too fast. Id like to play a few chapters going more in depth with the more mysterious characters. Like Noob and Ermac. Maybe theyll do them as dlc in the future. I was hoping to see more events pertaining to the characters origins and past though. What brought them to the tournament, etc. Thats why my favorite chapter is Scorpions. It delves alot deeper than most of the other chapters. You see inner turmoil and conflict. It made Scorpion seem more human and less demonic to me. Fighting his instinct to get revenge. Which ultimately he cant fight against and kills sub zero. But the fact he tries not to get revenge. Showed a broader scope to that character. If I would change anything its certain characters deaths. CSZ is a great addition and it was a cool twist to the story. But after that it was like they were just killing for shock value. I couldnt care less about some characters getting killed but Liu Kang and Kung Lao? Theyre hugely important. So were a few others like Kitana and CSZ. But if they do bring fallen characters back I hope its as Quan Chis slaves. And theyre twisted evil versions of their former selves. Evil Kung Lao would be bad a**!