Jade Thread - "Good Boy!"

Zephna

~ Good Boy! ~

Jade specializes in flexible mixup games. However, most of her damage comes from her overhead combos and jump-in combos. Having a solid mixup game is key for her as well as proper spacing on her ranged attack strings. Properly spacing her ranged attacks leads to knockdowns to start mixup game on their wakeup.

Notes on Xray: Base damage: 35%. It has a few startup frames but it's very fast and covers full screen. Also can be used in juggles if opponent is not too low or high from the ground. It's also a great punish while playing defensively for some quick damage.

MISC Notes:
Shadow Kick - Very fast and safe on block. Your slightly spaced so you could go for a sweep or a J.x after it. When used as a wakeup attack it seems it has some invulnerability frames however xrays seem to have higher priority over it. (More testing still needs to be done)

Shadow Flash - Useful special buff for rushing down zoners and projectile spam. It only lasts for about a second or so. So be hasteful when using it but still be careful as you can be hit by normal attacks. So far it appears to be invulnerable towards all projectiles. NOTE: She can even go through Ice Clone.

Staff Overhead - Very useful for mixups and combos. Can combo into it off of 3 (timing is tight) & B+1. Still looking for other possible links for it tho. The EX version of this move does the same damage sadly but it is a faster version which could prove to be very useful for mixups. NOTE: Can follow up with a combo off of a double Staff Overhead which ONLY works on crouchers.

Boomerang - Pretty slow startup and recovery. Even with the EX version... It's not something you just want to randomly throw out.... EX version causes the boomerang to come back to you on hit/whiff. Note: Using the ex verison combos you can extend the combo, however, make sure your netting decent damage I'd say 40% if the combo starter is a J.P.

Notations:
Spoiler:

1 = Front Punch
2 = Back Punch
3 = Front Kick
4 = Back Kick
DC = Dash Cancel
EX. = Enhanced Version
J. = Jump/While in the Air
NJ. = Neutral Jump - Jump up
-x? = Do Attack ? number of times
----
Boomerang: D,F+1
Boomerang Up: D,B+1
Boomerang Down: D,F+3
Shadow Flash: B,F+3
Shadow Kick: D,F+4
Staff Overhead: D,B+2
Staff Grab: D,F+2

Tactics:
Spoiler:

VS Spammers, Zoners, and Keepaways: Anti Projectile Buff allows you to move freely for a second to get in close. Wavedashing (dash and use block to cancel out the dash) will help as well when it wears off. Jade's shadow kick is pretty fast and you could even use her ex version to cover even more ground quicker as it's full screen.

VS Teleports: STAND block them and punish with a combo. It's as simple as that.

Anti Air: Jade's B+2 is very good for anti airs so long as the opponent isn't in too close. It works just like a DP (Dragon Punch) and can combo off of it for decent damage.

Her U+3 is a good one as well and the range is good to however there's not any flexibility in combo'ing from it. You can Ex.Shadow Kick Shadow Kick but the timing is sorta tight.

Wakeup Game:
Still testing out using Wakeup Attacks so this is a W.I.P. I'll have better data once PSN is back up so I can test on human players... All wake up attacks have 8 frames of invincibility (EVERY character has these properties). Most of the time it's safer to just bait their get up attack with block and combo again. Once you condition them to stop doing wakeup attacks then that's when you can really start mind gaming them.

Uppercuts: If your opponent has a habit of going for J.P's you can go for an uppercut punish for around 10% damage or so. Be sure that you time it properly otherwise you will be punished. J.K's will beat out uppercuts if timed just right because of their longer ranged hitboxes.

Shadow Glow: It's a good wakeup attack to use sparingly and if you have the meter to burn. This is the EX version of Shadow Flash. Not only does it makes you invincible to projectiles but also adds super armor for a short period of time (pretty much the same amount of time as Shadow Flash). You can use this to counter an opponent's mixup game on your wakeup. Remeber it costs 1 bar to use it and it doesn't last very long so be sure to make good use of it.

Staff Overhead: If your opponent is going for sweeps you can use this to counter him with it. Remember her core dmg relies on Staff Overhead being in a combo to allow you to juggle more so than other attacks.

Mixup Game:

With Jade having an overhead that is a special move you have quite a bit of options for mixups. Because overheads are generally slower you'll want to space her's so that it still hits the opponent yet gives the opponent a hard time to counter it if he expects it. She has attack strings to where you can cancel into it after the 2nd or even the 3rd attack giving you options for mixing it up.

Sweeps are always good to throw in for lows incase their expecting overheads. A gimmick you could use after ending a blockstring with her shadow kick is to sweep the opponent. Also her 3,4 is good for low mixup. Which you can throw in an overhead after the 4 so if they block the low they could possibly get hit by the overhead.

Jump/Dash Cancellable Attacks:
Spoiler:

These type of attacks you can cancel out the recovery frames of them allowing you to be more flexible with your pressure. Mix it up by ending blockstrings occasionally early with using one of these and go for baits, crossups, adding another blockstring in if they are still on guard, etc. Using these attacks to your advantage will help you add more pressure to your mixup game.

Staff Overhead, Shadow Kick(1), 3, 2
First 2 in chain (Pole Check): 1,2,2
2 in chain (Edenian Rush): F+2,1,2
4 in chain (Betrayal): 3,4,2

Blockstrings & Combos:
Click to view 2nd section.

Videos For Learning:
Click to view 2nd section.

Last edited:
Re: "Good Boy!" ~ The Jade Thread

Hi,

I'm glad to see a character strategy thread pop up and agree Jade is a versatile character.

One thing that might be good to analyze in more detail is her projectile invulnerability. What projectiles does it ignore, which still hit?

My ps3 is dead right now, but a few things to look at include Cyrax's net and bombs, ice clone, and so on and see what does and does not go through it.

Jade's sweep seems really good, long range, knocks down, reasonably decent recovery. Staff combos seem to give more mid-range options than most, and she has several different pop ups that you can use to begin juggles with.

Lastly, is her shadow kick invincible on wake-up? I was reading some moves have armor or invulnerability when used on wake-up.

Cons:

Upwards boomerang takes a bit before it begins to arc up, at mid-screen a person may still be able to jump it anyway. Don't rely on the up boomerang too much if they are not far away.

Spoiler:

Blockstrings:
Regarding blockstrings her options mainly consist of Shadow Kicks and Staff Overheads. Shadow Kick is safe on block so from there you can go for a sweep, crossup J.P/J.k, or anticipate an attack and block then punish depending on which attacks they use.

Regarding Throw Attempts In Block Strings: Remember a throw isn't guaranteed and if your opponent predicts throw attempts they will either try to tech your throw or hit you before you can grab them for a throw. Remember to mix it up with back and forward throws. Tick throws: Usually using 1-2 attacks prior to going for a throw attempt but there must only be a very small gap of frames to do this in so your less likely to get punished for it. The key is to grab them as soon as they are out of blockstun. In most cases you will have to dash to be within throw range or walk. Use it sparingly.

1,2 Throw
J.P 3 Staff Overhead JC crossup J.P Tick throw with D+3
J.P 4 Shadow Kick DC Throw OR 4 Shadow Kick Throw (No dash needed)

F+2,1 Shadow Kick/Staff Overhead

3,4 Staff Overhead (Very good for crouchers, however, if they get into the habit of blocking overheads during strings the 4 in this will cause them to get tripped which you can cancel into a Shadow Kick instead of Staff Overhead for some small damage as well as a knockdown.)

J.P B+1 Staff Overhead (Good for people who have a habit of crouch blocking after an overhead jump-in.)

Combos:
MIDSCREEN:
20% 5 Hits: B+2 DC 4 Shadow Kick DC 4 Shadow Kick Video
22% 5 Hits: F+2,1 Shadow Kick DC 4,F+3 Video
24% 5 Hits: B+2 DC 4 Shadow Kick DC 4 F+3 (Must be close barely within sweep range if not closer.)
24% 6 Hits: NJ.P Dash B+2 DC 2 3 Shadow Kick-x2 Video
39% J.P 3 Staff Overhead DC B+2 DC 1,2 B+3,2 Shadow Kick-x2 Video

Enhanced:
22% 4 Hits 1 Bar:U+3 EX.Shadow Kick Shadow Kick

Xrays:
48% 12 Hits: J.P B+1 Staff Overhead DC B+2 DC 2,3 Shadow Kick DC D+1 Xray Video
56% 11 Hits: J.P B+1 Staff Overhead DC B+2 DC B+3,2 Xray Video
56% 9 Hits: J.P 3 Staff Overhead DC B+2 DC B+3,2 Xray Video

CORNER:
25% 6 Hits: F+2,1,2 3,4,2 Video
31% 7 Hits: F+2,1,2 B+3,2 Shadow Kick D+2 Video
32% 10 Hits: F+2,1,2 B+3,2 Shadow Kick 1,2 Staff Grab Video
39% 10 Hits: Staff Overhead B+2 J.K 3,4 Shadow Kick 1,2 Staff Grab Video
40% 10 Hits: (NEAR CORNER ONLY) J.P 3,4,2 B+3,2 Shadow Kick 1,2,F+2 Video

Enhanced:
42% 9 Hits: Staff Overhead B+2 B+3,2 Ex.Boomerang Up 4 Shadow Kick-x2 Video
46% 10 hits: J.P 3 Staff Overhead NJ.P B+3,2 Ex.Boomerang Up 4 Shadow Kick-x2/ Shadow Kick for 45% Video
48% 11 Hits: J.P 3 Staff Overhead B+2 B+3,2 Ex.Boomerang Up 4 Shadow Kick-x2 Video

Xray:
56% : (NEAR CORNER ONLY) J.P 3,4,2 B+3,2 Xray Video
59% 10 Hits: J.P 3 Staff Overhead NJ.P B+2 B+3,2 Xray Video

Videos For Learning:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Why is this thread called 'Good boy'?

It's what she said to Baraka when she beat him in story mode. Calling him a watchdog and to sit before the fight.

I also would like to mention Jade is hands down the hottest character in the game :3

Just a heads up. All wake up attacks have 8-9 frames of invincibility. Most of the time it's safer to just bait their get up attack with block and combo again. Once you condition them to stop doing get up attacks then that's when you can really start mind gaming them.

Also her enhanced projectile can help keep a combo going way longer, cuz it will keep them in the air during a juggle even on the way back so you can dash in for another string combo

Thanks so much for this thread, Jade is a goddess. Been playing her and Kung Lao quite alot. I'm figuring out her game slowly but combos were my main issue. Seeing this thread and realizing how things work with her combos I'll be hitting the lab for a while.

Oh Hai! Hello there, Jade Thread! ^_^

I totally just learned that Pole-Cat combo, sad. I didn't know how to do it until I looked at the moves list. Ineffectively flashy but I love it.

I'd be happy to help you test things out Zephna once PSN is back up and working. I just got a new PS3 slim and am working on a yellow light of death fix to get the old PS3 up long enough to transfer my saves, at least.

Jade is a real cool character, such a unique fighting style. I really like her combos also. She's so versatile.

Staff ftw!

I'd be happy to help you test things out Zephna once PSN is back up and working. I just got a new PS3 slim and am working on a yellow light of death fix to get the old PS3 up long enough to transfer my saves, at least.
Thank you and I'm up for it so jus PM me when PSN gets back up~ ^-^

Oh Hai! Hello there, Jade Thread! ^_^
I totally just learned that Pole-Cat combo, sad. I didn't know how to do it until I looked at the moves list. Ineffectively flashy but I love it.
Congrats and keep on working with her you'll improve in due time~

Thanks so much for this thread, Jade is a goddess. Been playing her and Kung Lao quite alot. I'm figuring out her game slowly but combos were my main issue. Seeing this thread and realizing how things work with her combos I'll be hitting the lab for a while.
Np np~ I like helping others out and contributing to certain things hehe. Glad you find this info useful and stay tuned as I'll be updating with more findings when I find them.

Just a heads up. All wake up attacks have 8-9 frames of invincibility. Most of the time it's safer to just bait their get up attack with block and combo again. Once you condition them to stop doing get up attacks then that's when you can really start mind gaming them.

Also her enhanced projectile can help keep a combo going way longer, cuz it will keep them in the air during a juggle even on the way back so you can dash in for another string combo
Thanks for the contribution~ Info added to OP also I did notice it seems to still be vulnerable to xrays except her Staff Overhead it seems but still need more testing.

Nice! I'll try those out. Thanks! ;-)
Np~ Glad to see I've helped out a fellow Jade player ;D Stay tuned~

Jade is a real cool character, such a unique fighting style. I really like her combos also. She's so versatile.
Staff ftw!
Indeed she is~ This is only the beginning at that. There will be more stuff being added soon to the OP. I haven't even posted my own stuff regarding mixups and resets that hasnt already been posted yet but will be adding soon.

UPDATE::
Added a bunch of combos i came up with a few days ago sorry for taking so long to post them. I have most of them recorded via ingame so I should have vids of them up later today sometime~ Enjoy!

Good thread. I don't have time to read right now but I'll check it out later. Jade is the most interesting female character in MK9 in my opinion.

I definitely think Jade shows signs of being a highly viable tournament character, which is why I'm interested in learning more about her moves and properties, plus I just think she is just plain cool as a character in general. Her story mode sequence was definitely a blast to watch for me. She and Sub-Zero both have such strong wills.

Apparently Jade is low-tier in this game. Doesn't seem so, she's got sweet range with the staff and some really nice combos.

hey I found the TRUE number for the invincibility frames on wake up. it was 8, sorry i wasn't sure if it was 8 or 9(so I put 8-9). I'm positive it's 8 Frames at start up.

But this is the number for EVERY characters wake up attacks. So be weary of other characters when you knock them down.

Great thread. Helpful information.

However, I was disappointed. I thought this was going to be an appreciation thread for our moderator, Jade. Instead I learned some strategy.