The Official Fight Stick Modding Discussion

I see they are gold contacts. Did they come with Cherry switches as well or E-switch like the stock HAPP?

It might be luck of leftover stock. I recently finished a Street Fighter II CE cab for a friend and he bought HAPP Super sticks and the Comp pushbuttons were smooth on the sides with no markings but had cherry switches.

They came with the e-switches but I switched them out.I got a 20 shipped for 25$

So I just bought a used SF4 Round 2 Tourney FightStick (original stick and buttons). I like it a lot, but would buying the IL Stick and IL buttons at LizardLick make anything even better, like response time? I would rather use the bat top then the ball top, but that's more cosmetic.

So I just bought a used SF4 Round 2 Tourney FightStick (original stick and buttons). I like it a lot, but would buying the IL Stick and IL buttons at LizardLick make anything even better, like response time? I would rather use the bat top then the ball top, but that's more cosmetic.

The SF4 TE sticks come with a Sanwa JLF and pushbuttons stock. Can't get any better than that response wise. Lizard Lick sells a bat top that screws right into that stick if you prefer it over ball top.

@ Justfire,

Yes i am since the pushbuttons from that arcadeshop.de comes along with installed cherry switches.
Im replacing all 10 switches with cherry.
I'm still waiting for my stick to arrive, first gonna see if i like it yes or no.
Last stick i had was the Sega Virtual Stick on Saturn and threw it away after half an hour :)
This time i will try to master the controls with a stick, if i like it and decide to keep the stick i will order the IL stick and competition buttons.
Then i will see what suits me best, or swap the buttons or just replace the switches wich come with the comp buttons.

Hey guys. Just looking for some general info before I order my parts from lizardlick. What is the benefit of cherry micro-switches over the E-switches that come with the Happ competition buttons? I know the actuating force is different but what are the actual benefits in laymans terms. Also does the IL bat top stick come with the micro-switches? If so are they cherrys or E-switches? I'd check myself but my phone doesn't run their website. Any other tips and advice on this swap is also welcome. Thanks in advance.

Ive seen the IL Euro's come with both types of switches.I would always call in and verify upon purchase.Longevity is another reason to go with the cherry switch.

I've been working on a tutorial video (nothing fancy) to help people out with their mod. It's a mix of videos and his res stills with text. The audio kind of sucked, so there will be text for you to follow an understand what is going on. Pretty basic and easy to follow.

A lot of these questions have been answered already, but at that ktownbralwlers link, I kept updating the info as people kept leaving comments asking similar/same questions. Stop by to check it out.

I have also re-modified my stick once my parts came in from lizardlick. An iL euro joystick that came w/cherry microswitches and comp pushbuttons (all orange to match the stick)

Answers to a few questions asked:

1) You can reuse the stock joystick hub (base) as its Happ, and just install the iL euro top w/the cherry microswitches and while you're doing that, you may want to install a heavy spring (if you want a stiffer joystick)

2) The difference between the switches (e-switch vs cherry) other than the grams of pressure and spring/lever used... is preference really. Not much of a difference that you can actually feel other than one is 'lighter' while the other is 'heavier' in terms of force when hitting the buttons. Some people prefer the softer/lighter feel for 'quicker' response. I prefer Cherry over the E-switch because it's what I've been use to for over 20 years, lol.

3) You can still order Cherry microswitches via ebay. Last I checked, lizardlick was still out of stock, but you can order from them too.

4) Competition pushbuttons ordered from Happs are iL, but with E-switch in them. Not many people use/order competition pushbuttons, so a lot of their stock are from pre-merge in 2006.

Attachments

• IMAG1514.jpg
    IMAG1514.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMAG1533.jpg
    IMAG1533.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 14
  • IMAG1529.jpg
    IMAG1529.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 17
Received my fightstick today :)
Switches are Zippy ?!
Are those on the same level as Cherry switches, or E-switches as well ?
Quit strange they use different switches on the same product, maybe some old stock ?
Stick came from Canada btw

Last edited:
A little off-topic, but since I'm not crazy into Fighting Games (Mortal Kombat is it), I'm wondering if any of these fight sticks will do the trick (PS3) or if anyone has any other reccomendations in the same price range ($60 or cheaper after shipping).

Tekken 6 + Fight Stick ($81)
http://www.amazon.ca/Tekken-Limited..._3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1307589623&sr=1-3

PS3 Mini Fight Stick
http://www.amazon.ca/PS2-PS3-Fighti..._2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1307589574&sr=1-2

WWE All Stars Fight Stick (a little out of my range, but it is MadCatz)
http://www.amazon.ca/WWE-All-Stars-BrawlStick-PlayStation3/dp/B004M25NNQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_vg_5

Last night i put an iL competition stick and real competition buttons into my PDP TE stick, so now it no longer feels like my hands are being sodomized when I use it. However, I'm picking up some lumber this week so I can start making a completely new control panel for the stick with a more ergonomic and versatile button layout, as well as the ability to use Japanese parts (yes, after many years of Happ / iL loyalty, I'm selling out and getting a Sanwa JLF and Seimitsu buttons). I'll probably make up more of these custom control panels to sell them to members of the kommunity, however I don't know what price range I should be looking at yet. How much do you guys think that that a kustom kontrol panel for the PDP TE stick would be worth?

So for my Sf4 round 2 TE stick, I really didn't like the feel of the joystick. My problems were the looseness, the square gate, and the ball top. I recently bought a Seimitsu LS-56-01, an octagonal gate, an extra spring, and a bat top. I already have the LS-56-01 and the bat top, and the gate and spring will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to put it in and test it out.

So for my Sf4 round 2 TE stick, I really didn't like the feel of the joystick. My problems were the looseness, the square gate, and the ball top. I recently bought a Seimitsu LS-56-01, an octagonal gate, an extra spring, and a bat top. I already have the LS-56-01 and the bat top, and the gate and spring will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to put it in and test it out.
Apparently you can make the JLFs feel a bit more Western-style if you put a Seimitsu spring inside of the JLF's stock spring. I believe the reccomended spring model numbers were LS-33 (medium) and LS-50 (heavy). It's also recommended that you give it an octo gate or a round gate (round gate feels more like a Happ stick, but octo gates are usually preferred since they are more precise). I have been using iL Competition sticks for quite a while but I am going to give the Sanwa JLF a try once I have the cash, with a stronger spring, an octo gate, and a bat top.

Last edited:
I ended up getting the Tekken 6 bundle (Tekken 6, Hori Fight Stick, Artbook) + Soul Caliber 4 for $80 brand new. Not bad!

anyone knows if the mad cats tourney fight sticks are at bestbuy (the store not online) im gonna be near one today thought id check and buy one if they had it.