The Official Fight Stick Modding Discussion

I've got a bit of a noob question. When it comes to Sanwa, there are all types of pushbuttons to choose from, but I've been able to find exactly which pushbuttons fit in whatever case I've needed. How do I know which pushbuttons will fit in the MK fightstick? I can't find any part numbers or descriptions. Thanks in advance.

Has anyone tried replacing the stock PDP joystick with a Sanwa? I'm getting fed up with the stock stick and I'm eager to change it out, but most of the comments I've seen have been about replacing it with an iL Eurostick. I'm new to stick modding, so I really don't want to buy something and find out it's the wrong size, or that it requires drilling new holes or something.

I don't really have a preference, since I'm not familiar with either stick, but the black iL's are out of stock everywhere, and the idea of added sensitivity appeals to me. If a Sanwa would be more of an ordeal, though, I'll just wait for an iL restock.
It should still be a simple installation. People just prefer IL I think because it's the closest to the original MK cabinets.

Zero, IDK much about Sanwa, but it looks like they don't use the same style microswitch or connection as other brands. I could be wrong though.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried replacing the stock PDP joystick with a Sanwa? I'm getting fed up with the stock stick and I'm eager to change it out, but most of the comments I've seen have been about replacing it with an iL Eurostick. I'm new to stick modding, so I really don't want to buy something and find out it's the wrong size, or that it requires drilling new holes or something.

I don't really have a preference, since I'm not familiar with either stick, but the black iL's are out of stock everywhere, and the idea of added sensitivity appeals to me. If a Sanwa would be more of an ordeal, though, I'll just wait for an iL restock.

The only way to get a Sanwa JLW in is to replace the Stock Base. Which would require top access where the plexi and art would have to be removed. The JLW /w it's base plate is suppose to be a drop in replacement regardless if the surface is metal or wood.

Here is the mounting template for the JLW base.
arcade-jlwum8-mounting.gif

In mm as it is a japanese stick.

Most people go with the IL Eurostick as it can use the existing Stock Base in the MK TE stick and replace all other stock parts with the IL Eurosticks. This does not require taking the plexiglass and art off at all.

What about the Happ parts then? What are the exact pushbuttons I would need to order from Happ?

The stick has stock Happ pushbutton with a horizontal microswitch. All Happ Joysticks and Pushbuttons use E-Switch microswitches which are 50 grams of actuating force.
5891xxl.jpg

A picture of the standard Happ pushbutton /w horizontal microswitch.

One option with those stock pushbuttons is to upgrade the microswitches with higher quailty Cherry brand which directly replace the E-switch brand on the pushbutton itself.
Happ-Cherry-Microswitch-Gold-Terminals

----------------------------------------------------------------

If you truly want to use Japanese parts Sanwa or Seimitsu with a MK layout. You can buy a Street Fighter IV TE stick and buy the Madcatz Combat Fightstick Top Panel Kit. It would require removing the original SFIV TE Top Panel, joystick, and buttons and installing them on the new Top Panel.
PC61006BNDL.01.jpg

Link - 360 Top Panel is on the bottom
The Top Panel Bundle Kit includes new Sanwa pushbuttons.

I hope this answers many of your questions. If not I will try to answer them the best I can.

ReplicaX,

Thanks for the detailed answer. I don't feel like taking the art off or doing anything too involved, so I think I'll just wait for the Eurostick to be back in stock. I was thinking I'd pick that up and six of these buttons:

http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/175-black-il-competition-pushbutton-psl-l.html

...with the upgraded 20 gram microswitches. I understand cherry switches are considered superior, but in my case, the less force required to activate the buttons, the better.

ReplicaX,

Thanks for the detailed answer.

...with the upgraded 20 gram microswitches. I understand cherry switches are considered superior, but in my case, the less force required to activate the buttons, the better.

Yep the euro is a simple change and has a much better response. Those IL buttons are close to Sanwa's force wise and I think you'll be happy.

I have both the PDP Stick and Combat Fightstick. And as much as I hate to say it the Combat Stick is much easier to combo on since the buttons are closer and it uses the Japanese buttons. As for the JLF stick that had to go way to sensitive for MK. I ended up replacing it with the Seimitsu LS-56-01. It almost has the same feel as an IL stick.

Thanks for the help everyone. I finally finished modding my stick:
I replaced all of the pushbuttons with IL Translucents: http://www.lizardlick.com/IL-Translucent-Buttons_c_230.html
2xRed, 1xClear, 2xOrange, 1xYellow I didn't follow the old school color scheme by going with the blue for the kicks because the orange goes so much better with the graphics of the TE stick.
For the joystick, I went with the black IL as I didn't really like the shade of red: http://www.lizardlick.com/IL_c_149.html
I replaced everything except for that stupid base that refuses to budge. Also, I replaced all 10 e-switches with cherry switches. :)

I hope to have a picture or two up here soon.

I have a question regarding the competetion/IL euro stick, im having a very hard time finding a provider for the IL euro stick in europe.
I been looking at this german arcadesite http://www.arcadeshop.de/Joysticks-Competition-Joystick-red_487.html

Im not sure if this happ or IL?? Is this with IL parts since they state :"This is a genuine product made in the European Union"?
I really want to replace the bad retail stick!
Also is this the correct size microwitches to the stick? http://www.arcadeshop.de/Button-Parts-Button-Switch-0187-Cherry_553.html

Thanks.

I have a question regarding the competetion/IL euro stick, im having a very hard time finding a provider for the IL euro stick in europe.
I been looking at this german arcadesite http://www.arcadeshop.de/Joysticks-Competition-Joystick-red_487.html

Im not sure if this happ or IL?? Is this with IL parts since they state :"This is a genuine product made in the European Union"?
I really want to replace the bad retail stick!
Also is this the correct size microwitches to the stick? http://www.arcadeshop.de/Button-Parts-Button-Switch-0187-Cherry_553.html

Thanks.

According to the bottom view that is the IL stick.It has the white actuator and cherry switches.Those are the right cherry switches in your other link but if you buy the stick it comes with cherry switches

Good news. thanks!
I just ordered one :)
Is it any difficult to replace the joystick? Do we have a guide somewhere?

Youre not actually gonna change the whole unit.The 4 big screws at the bottom of the base are the ones you unscrew.Remove the c clip and the shaft and components will come out.Then reverse that to put it in.Its very simple.

The Happ competition convex buttons are IL's.

No they are not. I am going to explain the whole HAPP and IL history in full detail so people don't have a misunderstanding on this matter regarding arcade controls.

Industrias Lorenzo (IL) is a European company which manufactured joysticks and pushbuttons for HAPP back in the days Arcades were still popular.

In 2007/2008 HAPP merged with Suzo becoming Suzo/HAPP and no longer had IL manufacturing their parts. Suzo acquired a HK company called Chinatec and used this plant which already made arcade parts to make all HAPP controls.

HAPP lowered it's costs using this plant and switching it's microswitches over to E-switch brand while slightly increasing it's prices to the consumer. Industrias Lorenzo continues to make arcade controls like it has been and they are used widely throughout Europe and many 3rd party vendors carry them.

The quality of HAPP has since decreased. As far as longevity and quality of their controls. They are not as strict tolerance wise as IL.

Top arcade control companies Sanwa and Seimitsu manufacture their controls in house in Japan and are strict on the quality and precision of their products. Industrias Lorenzo has followed the same practice in Europe for years. These companies post tech specs on most of their controls such as force data. Suzo/HAPP doesn't since they dropped IL.

Nothing Suzo/HAPP = Industrias Lorenzo unless you truly know it was manufactured 2006 and earlier.

No they are not. I am going to explain the whole HAPP and IL history in full detail so people don't have a misunderstanding on this matter regarding arcade controls.

Industrias Lorenzo (IL) is a European company which manufactured joysticks and pushbuttons for HAPP back in the days Arcades were still popular.

In 2007/2008 HAPP merged with Suzo becoming Suzo/HAPP and no longer had IL manufacturing their parts. Suzo acquired a HK company called Chinatec and used this plant which already made arcade parts to make all HAPP controls.

HAPP lowered it's costs using this plant and switching it's microswitches over to E-switch brand while slightly increasing it's prices to the consumer. Industrias Lorenzo continues to make arcade controls like it has been and they are used widely throughout Europe and many 3rd party vendors carry them.

The quality of HAPP has since decreased. As far as longevity and quality of their controls. They are not as strict tolerance wise as IL.

Top arcade control companies Sanwa and Seimitsu manufacture their controls in house in Japan and are strict on the quality and precision of their products. Industrias Lorenzo has followed the same practice in Europe for years. These companies post tech specs on most of their controls such as force data. Suzo/HAPP doesn't since they dropped IL.

Nothing Suzo/HAPP = Industrias Lorenzo unless you truly know it was manufactured 2006 and earlier.

Strange the Happ competition convex buttons I ordered dont say Suzo Happ but had the little IL logo on them.I guess I got lucky with my purchase.

These were stock in my PDP stick.It says suzo happ on the longer tab.
5767523148_c7112d0ff0.jpg

These are buttons I bought labeled as happ competition convex.The IL logo is on the shorter tab.
5767523210_82b9f3bb2e.jpg

Strange the Happ competition convex buttons I ordered dont say Suzo Happ but had the little IL logo on them.I guess I got lucky with my purchase.

I see they are gold contacts. Did they come with Cherry switches as well or E-switch like the stock HAPP?

It might be luck of leftover stock. I recently finished a Street Fighter II CE cab for a friend and he bought HAPP Super sticks and the Comp pushbuttons were smooth on the sides with no markings but had cherry switches.