5 Least Used Characters?

People need to stop getting offended if their favorite character is "least-used". It's about who the majority of people play as, not you yourself. I'd actually prefer to play as a character that isn't played much. It gives you more originality and also people don't expect your moves as much because they don't get a lot of practice facing that character.

I'd say the 5 least used are:

Quan Chi
CSZ
Nightwolf
Shang Tsung
Jade

Just because a character is used least doesn't mean they're bad. If that's the case then I guess every character other than Ermac and Scorpion suck. facepalm

Agreed, I've been using Stryker since MK3. I doubt that he's one of the characters that is used the least.

My list (from experience):
Kano
Nightwolf
Sektor
Sindel
Sub-Zero
&
Kitana

Do you really think that SubZero and Kitana are of the least used? really? both are more used than stryker, he is not so popular, i like him anyway but there is no way that he is more used than subzero, even one of his legs is more popular than stryker.

Like immortal said, people dont have to get angry because their characters are not that popular... Sheeva is the least popular and used of all, that a reality, a little group of people like it anyway, i really hate it no offense.

I am pretty surprised to see Mileena in the least used characters column. She is my second most used character (second to Kitana). Rounding out the top 5 are Smoke, Jade, and Scorpion in that order. My five least used characters (excluding Kratos and CSZ) are Shang Tsung, Jax, Sindel, Kano, and Sheeva (Shang Tsung being the least used).

I was also surprised to see that I had used Sub Zero, Reptile, and Ermac so little (probably because they haven't been seen much in relation to where I am at in Story Mode and Challenge Tower). I really like those characters. Conversely, I was really surprised to see how much I had used Liu Kang, since I am not particularly a fan of his.

There really is no speculation of why the list is as it is. It is heavily skewed towards good characters as story mode and challenge tower are the 2 modes most people either start off with or finish completely. Story mode has the good guys only that are playable (except Scorpion/Cyrax) and what do you know? They are on top while the bad guys are on the bottom, even some more popular ones. Sheeva is really low because she is only forced on you to play as her for a few challenges before 300; not many will even get that far and the earlier characters (Jax/Sonya/etc.) will get used more. Reviewers and the more casual players aren't going to spend much time playing versus so you can't expect to see certain characters at the top based solely on that mode.

If it was only online character choices, the list would be a lot indicative of popularity but it is not. Just another mistake by NRS.

I agree with your sentiment. it seems like story mode and challenge tower (the modes you HAVE to play as certain characters) are the main factor. This list indicates very little. Nightwolf should be a lot lower!

LOL Nightwolf is extremely fun to play as in MK9 and I wouldn't be surprised many people played as him quite often.

The 5 characters I use the least are:

Sheeva
Ermac
Shang Tsung
Noob
Quan Chi

Though from the official leaderboards, it's like this for both systems:

Mileena
Quan Chi
Shang Tsung
Sindel
Sheeva

think about it guys. notice how all the villains are at the bottom and yet you DON'T play as any villains in story mode. Something tells me its not accurate when testing for popularity.

See that is what doesn't make much sense.

Story mode and challenge tower are indeed a must play in the game, however, long term speaking, it's not like people are going to spend much time playing those modes repeatedly since MK9 is a FIGHTING game. Once you're done with them, you're done, you may replay it once in a while but the basis of a fighting game is the arcade and the versus mode. That's what long term people will be playing constantly LOOOL It's not like people finish the story mode and are going to replay Nightwolf's part over and over again just to increase his chart position.

So, that's not at all a good argument in terms of long term replay value.
Plus, I can't find anything but funny that Cyber Sub-Zero is the 7th and Stryker is the 9th least playable characters on the bunch. I guess story mode and challenge tower didn't do them any favour :p

Let's wait at least a month and I am pretty sure we'll have a much better view of the popularity of these characters (I am not surprised by the 5 least playable characters though. Funny enough, those 5 + Cyber Sub-Zero are the ones that I was already expecting to be poorly received in MK9 and honestly I don't find their gameplay anything special or particulary enjoyable but that's my opinion).

think about it guys. notice how all the villains are at the bottom and yet you DON'T play as any villains in story mode. Something tells me its not accurate when testing for popularity.

That is for sure... There is no other conceivable reason that Liu Kang has more play time with me than Reptile, Ermac, and Sub Zero. Mileena, who I use very large amount of time with is unsurprisingly my second most used character.

Wow, do you honestly believe Liu Kang is that unpopular???

On Xbox:
Liu Kang - over 488 millions
Reptile - over 189 millions
Ermac - over 101 millions

Look at the difference on those numbers! If you actually believe that is solely due to story mode and challenge tower, then you're out of your mind. What people say so their favourite character is not on the buttom... Plus, another silly thing, Sub-Zero has nearly as much story mode part and place in challenge tower as Liu Kang, LOL, that argument doesn't work at all in his case. Seriously...

That is for sure... There is no other conceivable reason that Liu Kang has more play time with me than Reptile, Ermac, and Sub Zero. Mileena, who I use very large amount of time with is unsurprisingly my second most used character.

Not to mention Nightwolf is boring as ****. I don't know ANYONE who uses him. I'm just shocked that he "supposedly" is ranked higher than Kitana, Kabal, Reptile, Baraka, Jade. I'm almost sure those characters are more popular than him.

Not to mention Nightwolf is boring as ****. I don't know ANYONE who uses him. I'm just shocked that he "supposedly" is ranked higher than Kitana, Kabal, Reptile, Baraka, Jade. I'm almost sure those characters are more popular than him.

Popularity =/= Playing style

Last edited:
Why you guys listing as Jade and Kitana as least used?

I use both, and I see others use them as well.

I'd say baraka/sheeva/kano/jax and ... sindel are ones I've never ever ever played yet online.

People need to stop getting offended if their favorite character is "least-used". It's about who the majority of people play as, not you yourself. I'd actually prefer to play as a character that isn't played much. It gives you more originality and also people don't expect your moves as much because they don't get a lot of practice facing that character.

Well, it's not that they are least used that gets on people's nerves. That does hold some of the appeal. It's people saying they suck that is just a tad aggrivating.