King Of The Hill Discussion Thread

Khrys_24

Im not sure if this is true or not but by seeing videos lately, for the 360, the spectators for KOTH are your Avatars. For the PS3, its like a Kid version of the MK fighters. Can anyone else confirm this? I was only wondering this cause the vids I saw with KOTH were for 360 and only saw 360 avatars as the spectators. So I thought that this mode was for 360 only. then i saw that its for PS3 as well. But for the spectators, I saw that it was only kid versions (don't know that else to call it) of the spectators since PS3 users don't have avatars like 360.

Re: King Of The Hill (Spectators) Different For 360 & PS3???

That's true. Both games have KotH. The 360 uses the Xbox Live Avatars while PS3 users use Chibi versions of MK characters.

Re: King Of The Hill (Spectators) Different For 360 & PS3???

That's true. Both games have KotH. The 360 uses the Xbox Live Avatars while PS3 users use Chibi versions of MK characters.

K Thanks. Haha so that's what it's called.

KotH useless for weaker players?

Anyone else thinks King of the Hill mode makes no sense for "normal" or "weaker" players? I would say i am a "normal" player, but in each room there are at least 1 or 2 guys with a incredible win/loss ratio like 220 to 40 or something. They always stay on top and you have absolutly no chance to beat them. I mean, why should i wait 10 or 15 minutes for my game, just to get destroyed within 20 seconds? Makes no sense to me. I would like to see some KotH lobbys for weaker players also, that you can not join with a W/L ratio over 1.5 or something like that. What you guys think?

Last edited:
Re: KotH useless for weaker players?

I think that's a good idea. Street Fighter 4 and Marvel 3 have the choice of "same" and "higher" rank when requesting matches and I would expect MK to add this too at some point.

You're spot on when you say it doesn't do you much good to wait in a room for that long just to get bodied, but to be fair you can probably tell just by watching the matches if that's gonna be the case.

For now I'd just recommend playing ranked. It seems like there are more people at the level you're referring to in there.

You can play with me. I rarely go online except with my friends, and I'm not anything more than average. In fact my record is horrible. Lol.

I definitely agree with Reaver about staying on so you can learn from your opponent's strategy so you can develop a counter strategy against them. But also, if they use the same character as you, but are better than you, you can utilize and practice those moves or combos that your opponent used on you. Plus, it is fun when we talking all trash in there.

Wow, you guys are actually able to get one started?

Me & my friends (before PSN outage) plays KotH~ It was fun and a learning experience to for everyone. We use chats on comps tho to communicate while playing hehe~

It's not useless for less skilled players, it's actually advantageous. Sure you may get some losses but you'll be able to learn. Fighting the AI is nothing like playing against a person.

Fighting the AI is nothing like playing against a person
I agree on this one. But i like to fight against "normal skilled" players. It´s good that you can pick each player u want in the lobbys.
But sorry, fighting against "super-pro-50%-combo-players" is not fun for me. I´d like to have some close, good fights and not a rapefestival ;-) And those players are always on the top in KotH lobbys.

I think what you're really requesting is a way to set up a custom KoTH game, with private slots, a player limit etc. Which would be great, could add in the option for tag and it's perfect.

Although I'm confused as to why you wouldn't want to play good players and improve yourself, as opposed to deliberately seeking out bad players just so you won more often..

EDIT: Also I should probably add that skilled players may have a harder time winning right now, the lag makes longer strings of combo's or countering moves on reaction quite difficult and sometimes the people that put zero thought into their strategy and toss out random x-rays are the ones that end up winning.

Although I'm confused as to why you wouldn't want to play good players and improve yourself, as opposed to deliberately seeking out bad players just so you won more often..
Don´t get me wrong, i don´t wanna play against bad players always, i just want to play guys around my level to get some good fights.
For me there is no reason to play the pro players, cause i am not really interested to learn huge combos or something. I´m not a big fan of it either. I just wanna have some fun and close fights with people around my level ;-)

I think what you're really requesting is a way to set up a custom KoTH game, with private slots, a player limit etc. Which would be great, could add in the option for tag and it's perfect.

Well said, thats exactly what i need.

King of the Hill

I've been around this forum since it first began many years ago, but I've very rarely posted anything for some odd reason. However, I think that it's time for me to stop lurking among the shadows here and start actually contributing, lol. Anyway, I haven't seen very many threads here regarding this mode of play or what people thought about it in general, so I thought I'd make one. I've spent countless quarters in the arcades in my teenage years playing every version of Mortal Kombat that came out. Some of the fondest memories of my youth are from some of those very times. I even made damn sure to preorder the Tournament Edition just to have that sweet arcade joystick (which kicks much ass btw). So, what are the opinions of some of you old school arcade gamers regarding KotH mode? I've just barely had the time to finish the story mode and challenge tower, so I haven't played online yet. Do you guys feel that NRS succeeded in re-creating the arcade experience with KotH mode or did they miss the mark? I'm looking forward to many enjoyable King of the Hill matches with some of you guys.

Re: King of the Hill

KOTH would be really really fun if it wasn't the home of the almighty LAG. However, I do think it has the feeling of being in an arcade because you can show off your moves or totally fail in front of others and that adds an extra "something" to each fight. Instead of only you being witness to your greatness/lack thereof as it is the case in 1v1

KOTH would be really really fun if it wasn't the home of the almighty LAG. However, I do think it has the feeling of being in an arcade because you can show off your moves or totally fail in front of others and that adds an extra "something" to each fight. Instead of only you being witness to your greatness/lack thereof as it is the case in 1v1

All this complete with a built in props system lol. King of the Hill mode was one of the things I was most intrigued about when the game first came out. So far it's a lot of fun when lag doesn't rule the day.

I think they did a good job with it, but a fairly large portion of those that play KOTH are *******s. Good system, bad players.

If anything, it's better for novies since KotH matches have more lag, which upsets the timing and makes it harder for people to connect combos.

thats kinda the point in king of the hill... winner stays on until someone comes along that can beat him, just like traditional arcades. but i do agree they should match you with people around your skill level like street fighter 4.

it was pretty funny, i was up to about 20 wins in king of the hill, and i didnt have a mic, but i heard the other guys in line talking, and one of them goes "i dont understand how someone can be so good", and "theres no point im gonna lose" lol. i was random selecting characters and beating them. it was pretty good, got a lot of respect points out of that session :p