King Of The Hill Discussion Thread

Re: KotH useless for weaker players?

thats kinda the point in king of the hill... winner stays on until someone comes along that can beat him, just like traditional arcades. but i do agree they should match you with people around your skill level like street fighter 4.

it was pretty funny, i was up to about 20 wins in king of the hill, and i didnt have a mic, but i heard the other guys in line talking, and one of them goes "i dont understand how someone can be so good", and "theres no point im gonna lose" lol. i was random selecting characters and beating them. it was pretty good, got a lot of respect points out of that session :p

I have to agree with where you're going, here. Getting beat all the time isn't fun, of course, but to get better you've gotta practice a bit, and learn how to counter whatever the "unbeatable" players are doing. There's a counter to everything in the game, and fighting games come down to mind games, especially in MK. Much like in poker, players will give away different "tells", and instead of sweating and anticipating a beat-down, take the time that you're watching to learn these tells. It's little things, like a spear almost always after a teleport, or a forward dash leading to a cross-up jump or certain special move. The best players try to mask this, but in reality everyone relies on certain strategies, which may get changed up, but adapting and learning is part of beating your opponent.

King of the Hill brings back that arcade atmosphere. If someone is frustrating you, I'd still suggest just sitting idle and watching for a bit. Learn them, and you'll either get the strategy to beat them, or they will run out of "quarters" or time, and you'll have other opponents to learn! :)

Actually, it's incredibly easy to gain some experiance while in King of the Hill. Personally, I haven't played online in a while, but my Win Loss is 7/16 (Should be 8/15, damn lag switcher). Not great, I know, but I'm rather damn proud of the fact that this is the first Fighter I'm taking seriuosly and I'm only at a .5 W/L ratio, AND below 50 matches; I'm still learning the ropes.

It's especially awesome when someone is creaming people with the character you plan on playing as; you can learn so many good combo's that way.

ive played competitive video games in tournaments for the last 10 yrs or so.... playing bums will only get u into bad habits... u do things ull never get away with vs a good player and it becomes part of ur game when it shouldnt be. playing the best players is how u learn to compete.

KOTH is probably not for you then, unless you can gather friends around your level. But what I think you're trying to say is that you don't want to find an "Expert" player in every KOTH session that you have no chance of beating. You're probably looking for a chance of say about 40% of winning not too bad as fighting someone hard can help you adapt and get better rather than fighting someone that you have 0% chance against, if you know what I mean.

Thats why you gather up a bunch of ppl you play with online and all play KOTH together and have fun like u used to at the arcades. Thats the whole purpose of this mode is to bring back th arcade feel

KOtH was a good idea but it was really flawed with one person being at the top the whole time. I remeber watching four people go down in front of me, then I got destroyed. He was playing as Sektor, I was Ermac. I got his health down MAYBE one-fourth of the way. Everyone just left after we realized what was going down. KOtH really needs some work.

KOtH was a good idea but it was really flawed with one person being at the top the whole time. I remeber watching four people go down in front of me, then I got destroyed. He was playing as Sektor, I was Ermac. I got his health down MAYBE one-fourth of the way. Everyone just left after we realized what was going down. KOtH really needs some work.

That's the whole point of it, tho. You're the King until you get dethroned. The winner stays is how it was back in the arcade days, too.

I wouldn't say KOTH is useless. They can learn and adapt new strategies on how to use their characters, and see how the "super-awesome-pros" use certain characters. I went into a KOTH match once, and watched everyone get creamed. When it was my turn, I got my ass kicked. But, I figured out how my opponent used his character, and after watching him play a few more matches, figured up a counter-strategy. When it was my turn, I narrowly managed to beat him with Sektor.

KotH's got more pros than it has cons. It's the best way to learn. It's helped me out quite a bit. Not only can you study the king who stays on top, but you can study the losers to learn what not to do. Plus I love throwing the tomatoes when I'm spectating. Anyone else getting a lot of lag issues there, though?

That's the whole point of it, tho. You're the King until you get dethroned. The winner stays is how it was back in the arcade days, too.

Thing is, I had more fun playing with my friends who only had the game for a couple days, not playing against people that memorized one character inside and out.

I'm no superstar or anything, I consider myself average if that but one thing that I really don't like is when I win a match or matches I get people who give me 0's, but then when their friends are winning it's all 10's. Some days I guess I get lucky and find rooms that people are fair and usually give 10's to anyone who wins that's not a cheap A**, but the other day my God, it was always the same, nothing but 0's. And that's when I didn't get booted from a match. I really like the theater mode, I just hate the kiddie BS.

X-Box: game locks up entering king of the hill

60% of the time I get up to bat in king of the hill it freezes. As if the lag wasn't bad enough :) waiting 5 min for a game to have it freeze and require a hard reset SUX worse.

Re: X-Box: game locks up entering king of the hill

Hopefully they fix this. I had one time when there was like 5 people in a KOTH room (including me) and I had barely joined so I was last in line to play, And then when it finally got to my turn, my XBOX FROZE! I was like "wow that's some BS".

Re: X-Box: game locks up entering king of the hill

I have this issue. Its kills me a little inside everytime it freezes up right before your match starts after you sat and watched 3 or 4 matches before you. :bomb:

For those of you who score 0.0 immediatly after your defeat this is for you.

I know its probably happening a lot, you've just beaten someone in a king of the hill match either it was a decent match or you've completely shut them down and they decide to score you a 0.0 for your trouble. Then once they are placed in the audience they continue to score you a 0.0. I like to imagine those people are still wearing their MK t shirts and mullets from the 90s sobbing and cursing their tvs screaming "NO! You will get no respect points! I didn't lose you did!" And it makes me want to find them and fill my favorite cup with their tears that taste like the sweetest victory imaginable(probably like cherry Dr Pepper) and while they are on all fours crying "why billy ray why?" I will enjoy my well deserved beverage with my glorious foot elevated on their back captain Morgan style! Or this whole scenario could be avoided by people not acing like babies.

Re: For those of you who score 0.0 immediatly after your defeat this is for you.

Lol I feel the same way sometimes but usually I try and not let it bug me. Most people are trolls when they remain anonymous. Anymore, most people are impatient and spoiled as well so losing is a BIG deal to them. Do unto others, I'll rate fair as long as the others do but if they get all salty I won't. After all it is a 'respect' system and why pay someone else if they don't return it.

Re: For those of you who score 0.0 immediatly after your defeat this is for you.

the way i started thinking about it is.. what the hell does it matter? just give everyone 10's... don't act like these imaginary points have some type of value or worth.. its 0's and 1's.. what the hell do I care if i score someone that's completely talentless a 10.. give the points oit like they mean nothing cause they do mean absolutely nothing.. their for achievements.. give em up