MKII Arcade Treasures Strategy

ChoyLayFut

**Warning** this message is not for you Mortal Kombat freaks that already know how to do this whos preparing to post back with a smart @ss comment, im informing other people that might need help.

Ok in case none of you figured it out, or still cant even pass the 4th character like my problem used to be... heres an easy way how to do it.

Use Sub Zero, do the Floor freeze move.... if they fall on the ice, hit em... if not, they will just stand behind it, so you can walk over and jump kick them. just keep doing it over and over.

* Note If your opponent is Sub-Zero, Kitana, or Baraka, this technique wont work for Sub, but may work for Kitana and Baraka just not as easily. ----
Sub Zero will ice freeze u, Kitana will Air Lift you when u try to jump kick, and Baraka will slice and dice you...

You can fake jump kick, so that means, just jump but not to close, they should use their air lift or slice move, but they will miss, so then just freeze them.

or another way to beat them, just keep back kicking and sweeping... Also Liu Kang's back kick and flying kick is another way to defeat them, find your own way to mix those kicks together.

-----------------------------
When you get to Kintaro, you neeed a LOT of patience.. you need to be constatly jumping jumping jumping. Wait for when he does a taunt move, or the stupid mega jump move and then jump kick him.

Shang Tsung's triple fire ball does a lot of damage for when Kintaro is taunting you.

Mileena's teleport kick thing is also good when Kintaro prepares to jump.

If this isnt working and you really have patience. Just keep jumping over his head and avoiding the mega jump thing for 90 seconds.

Was wondering if there is a guide or resource that tells you all the moves and fatalities for MK2 and MK3 on this game for the xbox? If there is can some please tell me where to find it. Thanks

I've done Johnny Cages and Scorpions by using the SNES fatalities list. It's hard to do them though.

Adam7 said:
Was wondering if there is a guide or resource that tells you all the moves and fatalities for MK2 and MK3 on this game for the xbox? If there is can some please tell me where to find it. Thanks

Dude, try the ones on this site! There's arcade move lists for both games. The Xbox version would no different.

Anyway, as far as strategies I use for the arcade version of MK2:

The get in close/jump back strategy: This only works playing as certain characters (the ninjas, Baraka, among others), but it's incredibly cheap and works best as a character with a stun move (Scorpion, Sub-Zero).

Anyway, when you're somewhat close to the opponent (not too close, but about sweep range) and decide to jump backwards, often times you'll notice that the computer will jump after you, but without any attack (i.e. no jump kick or jump punch). This leaves them open for a free hit, and works especially well playing as Scorpion.

This strategy won't work with the female characters as well as some others. I think it's maybe half and half (characters who can/characters who can't). This also won't work for the first 2 or 3 fights of the game.

The Baraka/blade fury cheapness strategy. I've been using this one since I was 9 or 10. Basically, you wait back while holding block, and then do Baraka's blade fury whenever they get too close or attack. It's not necessarily as effective the higher you go up the tower, but the key is to mix it in with other strategies. This is also a good one to mix with the above strategy (i.e. get them to jump in, do the blade fury to catch them).

The cheap Shao Kahn/low kick strategy: Basically, you stay at about a low kick's distance from Kahn and proceed to hammer low kick over and over and over, without pausing. Few hits will connect, but Kahn won't be able to strike you. Even his charge moves will be taken out by your kick. This also works with high kicks, though maybe not quite as well.

The Kitana jump kick/fan throw combo strategy: This isn't really a fool-proof way to easily beat the computer, but basically, playing as Kitana, any time you connect with a jump kick, follow it with a fan throw. The timing on this one is pretty difficult to get down, but if you tinker enough, you'll get it. The trick is to start the forward, forward motion of the fan throw move as (or even before) you're kicking, and then immediately following that with the high punch+low punch part of the move. You pretty much have to perform the kick and the fan throw simultaneously, but once you get it down, it's worth it.

This is also a good strategy to use against Kintaro. Hit him with a constant barrage of jump kick/fan throw combos, especially in the corner (doing it right could even leave him open for another hit or two in the corner). Use the fan lift a lot too.

The cheap-as-hell Mileena/jump kick strategy: Fighting against Mileena, you'll notice that she throws her sais at you any time you try to jump kick her. So the trick is, to start your jump kick at a closer range (again, tinker with it) so that you hit her before she even gets her sais off. I'd call this more of a "hop kick" than a jump kick, though, because you need to make sure that you kick as soon as you leave the ground. At any rate, once you get this down, you can just keep hop kicking and she'll keep trying to throw her sais, so there you go, now she's easily defeated.

That help? That's all I can't think of off the top of my head now. If you wanna add those to your post or whatever, that's fine. If I remember some more later, I'll post them.

first off on mk3 how do you do the fatalities that require up
second how do i do fatalities that require going back when you have to be close

CYRAX said:
first off on mk3 how do you do the fatalities that require up

You hold block.

CYRAX said:
second how do i do fatalities that require going back when you have to be close

You hold block.

If you want me to elaborate a bit, what I always do for fatalitites of that nature is hold block for the whole duration of the combination, except for the last button you press to finish the fatality.

EX. 1) Scorpion's "Toasty" fatality from MK2 - Hold block, tap down, down, up, up, then release block a split-second before hitting high punch

EX. 2) Baraka's blade decapitation fatality from MK2 - while in close, hold block, tap back, back, back, back, then release block a split-second before hitting high punch

Regardless of the fact that the examples I gave off the top of my head were from MK2, the same technique is used for MK3.

It's not the easiest technique to use if you've never used it before, but most people familiar with the classic MK games have practiced it to the point of it becoming second-nature. If you toy with it enough, you'll eventually get it down.

Excellent posts, Ryknow

I wholeheartedly agree with your suggestions, and I make the following additions...

In the vs. Mileena trick you mentioned above, it is also possible for some (but not all) characters to jump over Mileena's jump sais and jump kick her if you wait until after she throws them to press the kick button.

Also, in the "hold block" strategy you just mentioned, it is very important to realize that the release of block is not part of the timing of the move. The last direction and the final button must be separated by the same amount of time as all of the other motions... the release of block must be done between them.

On performing fatalaties that require utelizing the UP or BACK direction, you can do the joystick movements while in the air as well. This works especially well for those fatalaties (Reptile MKII) that are performed from jump distance.

You simply jump to the spot you need to be to finish your fatality at, perform all the joy movements in the air timing it so the finishing button is pressed as you land on the ground.

This also creates an effect of the decapitated heads and other things going the opposite direction if you jump OVER your opponent while performing the Fatality.

Love Cowboy covered the other thing I was going to mention about Mileena. Baraka is one of the characters that jumps over her sais, pretty sure that none of the ninjas do. I have no clue about any of the others.

Love Cowboy said:
Also, in the "hold block" strategy you just mentioned, it is very important to realize that the release of block is not part of the timing of the move. The last direction and the final button must be separated by the same amount of time as all of the other motions... the release of block must be done between them.

Good call. I was trying to think of how to word that, but you covered it nicely.

CYRAX said:
how do you preform mercy on mk3

Mercy can only be given in the third round of each match just after the announcer says Finish Him or Finish Her. Then hold RUN and hit Down, Down, Down, Down, and release RUN.

Most likely, but then again these are strats against the AI characters, not against a flesh and blood opponent.