Your Predicted Tier 1 (confirmed character spoilers)

kaballer

I posted this in the human Smoke gameplay thread but felt as if I was going off topic, so I thought I'd start this thread. Now that we know, to a degree, how human Smoke functions, do you think he will end up Tier 1? Who, overall, will claim a spot in Tier 1 in MK 2011?

I'm thinking Tier 1 will be: Kano, Smoke, Noob, Kabal, Kung Lao, and yes, CSZ if he plays anything like a faster Sub Zero. Basically MKT Tier 1 with CSZ added and Kano replacing Baraka.

Your thoughts?

God tier: Jax

A tier: Smoke, Noob Saibot, Sub-Zero (once people learn to play him properly)

Last edited:
My thoughts are:

Tier 1: Smoke, Cyrax, Kabal, Sonya, Sub Zero, CSZ (Assuming he plays as a mix of Cyrax and Sub Zero, which is why I have heard)

Tier 2: Noob, Jax, Johnny Cage, Kung Lao, Scorpion, Jade

Tier 3: The rest.

Tier 4: Ermac, Sheeva, and Stryker.

I am leaving Nightwolf out, mostly because I am biased against him, so I think it would be unfair for me to Tier him.

I posted this in the human Smoke gameplay thread but felt as if I was going off topic, so I thought I'd start this thread. Now that we know, to a degree, how human Smoke functions, do you think he will end up Tier 1? Who, overall, will claim a spot in Tier 1 in MK 2011?

I'm thinking Tier 1 will be: Kano, Smoke, Noob, Kabal, Kung Lao, and yes, CSZ if he plays anything like a faster Sub Zero. Basically MKT Tier 1 with CSZ added and Kano replacing Baraka.

Your thoughts?

what is up with all these Tier 1 stuff? Seriously any characters can be a beast if you know how to use them.

Its a fact that all characters arent going to be equal though. Every fighting game has tiers. Even the really balanced ones. Sure someone can be really good with a bottom tier character but once people learn the matchup of that character and kombat them with a higher tier character chances are that they wont stand much of a chance depending on how good and bad those characters are.

e.g Makoto,and Gen in SF4 vs Balrog or Bison.

Zafina vs Bob in Tekken 6

Hilde vs everyone in SC4.

Makoto just doesn't exist in SSIV. I'd say Jax, Smoke and Kung Lao are all guys we should keep an eye on for top tier discussion.

Hilde was garbage tier.

I am kinda guessing that Stryker is low tier.
I love Low tier garbage characters, makes me wanna play them more.

I'll be watching the various forums for such discussions come release, to see how preferences and tiers change as people discover new combos, etc.

If I had to guess just by seeing their fighting concepts I'd say Jax, Sindel, Johnny Cage, Sektor, Kabal, Scorpion, Smoke, and Cyrax look like candidates for high tier.
It's way too soon to tell though. Once people could properly test out what these character's are capable of (even the ones in the demo are getting major revamps frame wise) then we could make better assumptions.

The one's I named would be pretty hard to make bad though. In the right hands in looks like their fighting concepts are just tooooo good. But who knows <_<

Jax: Has big damage grabs that he could combo into from little toe pokes. Unblockable ground pounds(but in only three spots like Scorpion's hellfire) that lead into straight up juggles....>_<. Doesn't have problem approaching.

Sindel: Intense fireball game. Low and high fireball. Air fireball. Air fire ball while floating. And her air fireballs are diagonal, and to anyone who has ever played a 2D fighting game with Akuma in it, you understand why diagonal fireballs are pretty amazing. Very long range pokes. Her pokes push the opponent far back.

Johnny Cage: Frame trap whore. It's clear why they didn't give Johnny that many special moves because he is all about his ridiculous frame traps. These kinds of playstyles really tend to be picked up by alot of the pro players in the US and Japan.

Sektor: Even on block some of his normals push the opponent far back. 3 kinds of missles. His uppercut is RIDICULOUS because he could use it as a punisher for everything and anything you miss from mid or long range. His enhanced uppercut is a juggle starter too..... that's just scary. Getting close to a good Sektor is going to be like pulling teeth.

Kabal: His dash is still all that it use to be. It's the ultimate punish tool for mistakes and leads into a juggle. He can't combo into a dash unless the person is already in the air but still, it's beastly fast. His air fireball stalls him in the air and shoots forward so it could be used to bait antiairs then punish, his floor saw looks like a low >_<

Scorpion: His spear is godlike. One spear = one juggle. His combos on the ground could be comboed into a spear.... So basically if he even hits you you're going to get juggled. That's ****ing dangerous. Plus he has an unblockable he could do at three points and his normals are great too. He has a ranged low poke and a ranged mid poke. A damage decrease on him is inevitable from the demo, but still.

Cyrax: Traps. A projectile that leads into a juggle. And still in my eyes the best teleport in the game. He could do the teleport WHILE IN THE AIR and it doesn't attack and it ends up right behind the opponent. He also has a ton of different grabs that have undiscovered properties, but even without them his concept is hella good.

Smoke: Teleports behind you. Has a parry. Has Akuma's teleport. Has a dive kick with a straight down trajectories. His jab is really fast and probably has frame advantage. And his smoke bombs equal a free juggle(but only from three points) and MIGHT be unblockable >_>

Makoto just doesn't exist in SSIV. I'd say Jax, Smoke and Kung Lao are all guys we should keep an eye on for top tier discussion.

Hilde was garbage tier.

Hilde was the best character in the game in SC4 buddy.......-_-
And my main character go figure.

I don't know if there will be definitive tier 1 or 2 characters. I think it's more about some characters are good against certain characters and some arent. Like sub is good against cage bc the ice clone prevents charging and johnny doesn't have a teleport, on the flip side sub is not so good against scorpion bc of scorpions teleport and spear. I'm just optimistic that it will be well balanced. who says it can't be the most balanced fighter out there lol.

It's shocking how different everyone's assumptions are. The only character everyone seems to agree on for Tier 1 is Smoke. Just coming off the new gameplay hype? Or is he really that damn scary?

Sindel: Intense fireball game. Low and high fireball. Air fireball. Air fire ball while floating. And her air fireballs are diagonal, and to anyone who has ever played a 2D fighting game with Akuma in it, you understand why diagonal fireballs are pretty amazing. Very long range pokes. Her pokes push the opponent far back.

I've never played any fighting game outside of MK. Enlighten us on why diagonal fireballs are pretty amazing.

Last edited:
Tier 1 for me will probably be Scorpion, Reptile, Smoke, Shang Tsung, Noob Saibot, Cyrax.
Tier 2 would be Ermac, Sektor, CSZ, Kano, Jade, Jax.
Tier 3 would be everyone else.

I'll mostly use Tier 1 competitively, but in Arcade I'll use them all equally

Tier 1 for me will probably be Scorpion, Reptile, Smoke, Shang Tsung, Noob Saibot, Cyrax.

You seem to be the only one who hasn't put him in here, so I have to know; why makes you think Kabal isn't going to be Tier 1?

I am a little biased, as you can tell, but I want an honest opinion and I am not trying to flame/call you out. Just curious.

I stand corrected, but could you also explaign why, Immortal?

Tier A: Scorpion, Kung Lao, Sub-Zero, Sindel, Johnny Cage, Cyrax, Smoke, Kabal.

Tier B: Liu Kang, Reptile, Kitana, Mileena, Jade, Sektor, Sonya, Jax, Shang Tsung, Raiden, CSZ, Quan Chi, Skarlett.

Tier C: Ermac, Nightwolf, Noob, Kano, Baraka, Kratos.

Tier D: Stryker, Sheeva.

You seem to be the only one who hasn't put him in here, so I have to know; why makes you think Kabal isn't going to be Tier 1?

I am a little biased, as you can tell, but I want an honest opinion and I am not trying to flame/call you out. Just curious.

I stand corrected, but could you also explaign why, Immortal?

Well, I'm basing the tiers a little bit on how I played with the characters in previous games. In UMK3 I just did not know how to use Kabal, and I still don't. Matter of fact I hate fighting against him too, can be overpowered sometimes. Maybe when I try him in the new game I'll have a change of heart, since I'm sure NRS has done the best they can with character balance.

People people, don't start getting upset when others don't place your favorite character in Tier 1!

At this time all we can do is speculate, we are yet to see high-level play of any character (even the demo 4 have been balanced a lot). It will take at least a week or two to elaborate a comprehensive tier list. In the beginning newbie-friendly characters will dominate the online modes and after a while people will figure out each char's strengths and start using them accordingly.

This thread is amusing and fun, but it should be kept at that, it's all just speculations : )

Personally I'll play every character to see which one I'm best with, haven't played MK seriously in a while so I'm rusty, no idea which will be tier 1 for me

Well, I'm basing the tiers a little bit on how I played with the characters in previous games. In UMK3 I just did not know how to use Kabal, and I still don't. Matter of fact I hate fighting against him too, can be overpowered sometimes. Maybe when I try him in the new game I'll have a change of heart, since I'm sure NRS has done the best they can with character balance.

Fair enough, we will know either way in a couple of days :D

^ Wasn't upset, he had a differing opinion to everyone else's and I was wondering what he was thinking that no one else was. Were I paying attention to anyonee else's name, I would have asked the same. :D

If I had to guess just by seeing their fighting concepts I'd say Jax, Sindel, Johnny Cage, Sektor, Kabal, Scorpion, Smoke, and Cyrax look like candidates for high tier.
It's way too soon to tell though. Once people could properly test out what these character's are capable of (even the ones in the demo are getting major revamps frame wise) then we could make better assumptions.

Johnny Cage: Frame trap whore. It's clear why they didn't give Johnny that many special moves because he is all about his ridiculous frame traps. These kinds of playstyles really tend to be picked up by alot of the pro players in the US and Japan.

Whats frame-trapping?