Government shut down averted

THE JOHNNY ROOK

Pretty amazing that in the 11th hour the parties came together to reach a deal. Tough cuts on both parts. Glad to see it happen though, granted I am for a smaller government. It is a step forward. Why do we need to support planned parenthood anyway? If you're like me you're not getting laid anyway! You can trim some fat and then some. Smaller government and more private sectors is what I see. If you are privately funded you're going to get shit done. Granted I never got my ideas off the ground. Does not mean you can't. Either way, we need to cut funding programs from our budgent and let individuals invest. Discuss.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Just kidding gald to see them do some thing other than wine

right 50 bucks and no fun for me :(

Last edited:
Actually they extended that shit another 6 days. :|
Either way, they should come to an agreement soon.

Shit was making me nervous, seems so weird, in the US we live in ignorant bliss, when we see horrible things happening somewhere else in the world on the news it seems so far away, but when something dramatic happens here, that is actually relevant to us as citizens its pretty terrifying

Your government isn't as important as you think it is. Hurricane Katrina proved that. Fact is, if the federal government did shut down, the average citizen probably wouldn't even notice.

I believe in cutting useless programs. But I am for funding planned parenthood. The way I see it, $150 or whatever it costs taxpayers to fund an abortion is a huge savings compared to having to fund a lifetime of Medicaid and food stamps.

I have Republican leanings because I'm a fiscal conservative, but I don't subscribe to their appraoch of getting involved in everybody's personal business. It's odd, to me you are either getting the government out of EVERY aspect of people's lives, or not. Somehow, the GOP decided they want less government for handouts and tax collection, but more government to tell people how to live, what to watch, and what to play. Strange irony.

Isn't it great how my English teacher talked about LOL getting in the dictionary but no-one talked about this OR the earthquake in Japan?

Americans get a pretty bum deal anyway you look at it for having to choose between only two parties and it's usually nothing more than having to be satisfied with the lesser of two evils. That's my opinion at least.
In any case, cutting funding for Planned Parenthood means much more than just paying for abortions or not, it is basically an infringement on people's right to choose. Sure, there will always be careless people that see this as an easy way out of a (recurring) problem, but for so many women it's the difference between a life they are not ready for or do not want, for whatever reason, and you cannot, as the government, make that decision for anyone, especiall because most of the politicians that vote on this are male and will never, ever have to face a decision like this themselves. It is appaling that people only willing to look as far as their own misery and have a complete disregard for anyone else's. And then there is the fact that, indeed, as Cyndrix said, it will more than likely cost taxpayers a lot more to help support unwanted babies than have their mother go through with an abortion.
And no, a fetus is NOT person yet so do not try and argue that that could in any way, shape or form be a valid reason as well. I'm more than willing to discuss anyone about it who doesn't agree with this view, but I warn you, I won't hold back. ;)

Also, not having a government for a while doesn't really affect anyone at all. Belgium's been withouth a government for almost a year now and life goes on as usual. Well, except that prices there seem to be going up... But yeah, it's not going to be the start of a zombie- or any other apocalypse so don't worry.

Your government isn't as important as you think it is. Hurricane Katrina proved that. Fact is, if the federal government did shut down, the average citizen probably wouldn't even notice.

It's not the general public I was worried about.
It's the active duty military who wouldn't have gotten paid AT ALL but would've been forced to work or even continue serving over seas.
People woulda heard about that and started getting very up in arms.
You **** over the military, you're ****ing over everyone.

It's not the general public I was worried about.
It's the active duty military who wouldn't have gotten paid AT ALL but would've been forced to work or even continue serving over seas.
People woulda heard about that and started getting very up in arms.
You **** over the military, you're ****ing over everyone.

Can I ask you why you think or know that your military won't get paid in case of a government "shut down"? Have they made any statements regarding this or any other issues?

I'm not trying to be a smart-arse, I just genuinely don't know and need all the info I can get before making any claims with certainty. :)

I was well aware of the "pending Government shutdown" but to be honest....I was checking this site for any new information/updates to care too much about it.

From what I understand it was Planned Parenthood funding that was holding it up. It just doesn't make sense to me at least, why the republicans were so against funding it. If they hated it so much why didn't they stop funding it when they controlled the house, senate, and the presidency?