Other games implementing finishing moves ?

Section_25

Let's face it, the finishing moves/fatality's in MK are a huge part of the game and for alot of fans it is what keeps them coming back for more!

There were a few games in the past that had finishing moves like Wargods and Killer Instinct. Those games are basically dead though.

You think other fighter games like Street Fighter or Tekken might consider developing new games and adding them based off this new games success?

Would you like to see them try it? Think it's a good idea?

it might be but i think if they added them in sf or tekken it could completely ruin those games. mk had fatalities from day 1. i dont think other long running franchises should have people start killing others. unless they dont kill them. maybe new fighting games.

Guilty Gear had finishers as well. Forget what they are called off the top of my head. Can't forget Killer Instinct either :)

Than there was Eternal Champions on Genesis/Sega CD.

I couldn't possibly imagine established franchises implementing finishing moves if they aren't already part of series.

Instead, I would imagine a scenario where new franchises are established that include finishers. But I really only see that happening if MK is wildly popular.

Which kind of begs the question, is it necessarily a good thing if MK gets really popular? It would spawn a bunch of me too imitators. Some might be ok, but the majority of them would be crappy. It's almost better if MK kind of caters to the hardcore MK community, so long as we are strong enough to support proper sequels.

I wouldn't call the implementions of what SC/etc. added as fatalities. More or less they are a punishment such as in GG for attempting a finisher and failing (thus destroying your meter/etc.] setting up for one, or like in SC turtling too much.

I don't think it just derived from MK though, more or less it was a way to stop slowed down gameplay in tourneys.

We're all forgetting the granddaddy of dead fighting games with finishing moves: Primal Rage.

And didn't a Clayfighter game have them?

Can anyone remember the game "Thrill Kill" for PS1? It never came out, cause of the violence. This game was very close to MK at this time. It was a bloody mess and had nice finishers too ;-)

We're all forgetting the granddaddy of dead fighting games with finishing moves: Primal Rage.

And didn't a Clayfighter game have them?

Wasn't Primal Rage produced by Midway or something similar? I could've sworn. Yeah, Clayfighter had fatalities.

I believe Primal Rage was made by Atari.

It was out at a time when everyone was trying to get a piece of the violent fighting game pie. Remember Time Killers? Same thing.

Thrill Kill was an awesome, awesome game. It was way ahead of its time and I can't stand EA to this day because of what they did to that game. They acquired it quite by accident (they bought Virgin Interactive because they wanted Westwood Studios, Thrill Kill just kind of came with the deal). Then they permanently shelved the completed game because they thought it was too violent to be released. Some other publishers expressed interest in buying it, but EA said no. They did everything they could to keep it off the shelves because they hated it, and they even lost money by doing so. I'm sure they could have sold it for a few million.

For that reason I have always hated EA. I probably never would have learned how to download and burn games if it wasn't for Thrill Kill, but I desperately wanted to play it, so I learned how to get it.

I don't burn games anymore, btw, but I did once upon a time have quite a vast collection for the PSX and PS2.

Oh holy sh*t! Thrill Kill!

I've always wanted to get my hands on a copy of it, I was raging when EA decided to get all uptight over it

In Weaponlord, you can finish your opponent off in a gory fashion when your opponent is nearly dead and in a combo. Zarak was the only character that had a signature finishing move, most likely due to time and budget constraints.

I don't think finishing moves in Street Fighter or Tekken would be welcolmed. But like people said earlier, BlazBlue and Soul Calibur have them now and they look pretty good.

Oh holy sh*t! Thrill Kill!

I've always wanted to get my hands on a copy of it, I was raging when EA decided to get all uptight over it

I remember way back when it had this whole legendary status around it, my buddies and I tried getting a copy of it way back before the internet was in everyone's house. Then it get turned into some lame ass Wu-Tang game! I remember this time we were all a mom and pop video store and we were talking about fighting games and some balding older dude in his late 30's or early 40's. Kept talking about how violent and disturbing this game was. He probably was still living at his moms (as I type this from my mom's).

There are some pretty great fatalities in Wu-Tang Shaolin Style. From what I understand its based on the Thrill Kill engine (possibly by the same team?). Pretty great game. Extremely underrated.

You are correct.

Paradox Development created Wu-Tang Shaolin Style, and it used the same engine they had created for Thrill Kill. I don't know the specifics, I guess the publisher owned the rights to the characters and that's how Thrill Kill got shelved, but Paradox retained the rights to the engine they created.

Thrill Kill is remembered for it's controversial content, but what a lot of people don't realize is that it was the first (and maybe only?) PSX game that allowed for smooth fighting gameplay with 4 players simultaneously using the multi-tap.

Heck yeah, the game was totally sick.

The violence may not be that bad by today's standards, but it was pushing the envelope in 1998 and the game also had themes that still haven't been replicated.

You can tell by the environments how dingey the game was. It was like a SAW movie before there were SAW movies. Many of the characters had heavy sexual elements, like the Tormentor being like an executioner S&M guy, Belladonna was a total dominatrix, and the IMP had his gay bar leather outfit and his devil horns.

Another cool thing was each figher had 4 totally different costumes that were really unique. For example, the character Oddball never had use of his arms. So in one outfit, they were tied behind his back, in another they were constrained in a strait jacket, in another both of his arms had been amputated. And conjoined twins connected at the waist with no legs but 2 torsos and 4 arms? Come on, man, that is totally sick and has still not been replicated.

When Thrill Kill was in development, it's codename was S+M which stood for Slaughter and Mutilation. They certainly went out of their way to be as sick as possible, but they amazingly also had a very polished game for the time. It would be so awesome to see a Thrill Kill 2 some day, but I'm sure EA will never admit their mistake and let it be developed. Paradox was eventually bought by Midway, and since WB only kept NRS, I'm sure they have faded away into oblivion. Most of the people who worked on it probably aren't even in the industry anymore.

BTW, while Paradox was part of Midway, they made MK Shaolin Monks. So you can see the talent that existed at this company.

What happened to Thrill Kill is probably the biggest travesty in the entire history of video games and the biggest injustice to players. I remember being shocked that the backlash against EA wasn't larger.