Australian Classification ACL Report Review

For some reason I don't think signing the petition will do any good :stupido:

I guess we can hope for the best though.

Online petitions are pointless, especially since most of the people who'd be signing it wouldn't be Australian. (Their government doesn't care how we do it.) The only way it's gonna get changed is if Australians and the gaming industry put up a good enough fight.

Dont care anymore. Its a waste of time getting angry at this shitty countries Government and classification system. Im moving to London at the end of the year AGAIN. Already booked my flight :) One way ticket! Goodbye Australia, HELLO PEGI R18 classification :)

Online petitions are pointless, especially since most of the people who'd be signing it wouldn't be Australian. (Their government doesn't care how we do it.) The only way it's gonna get changed is if Australians and the gaming industry put up a good enough fight.

I know it likely won't do much, but since I don't live in Australia it's the only thing I can really do to help. Even so, all I'm asking is for 20 seconds of your life to sign one petition.

Dont care anymore. Its a waste of time getting angry at this shitty countries Government and classification system. Im moving to London at the end of the year AGAIN. Already booked my flight :) One way ticket! Goodbye Australia, HELLO PEGI R18 classification :)

haha very nice XD

Petitions don't work, as much as I want to help out, nothing can be done about it.

They work on rare occasions like take this as an example, two months ago:

As some of you might know, the CRTC (a governing agency in Canada) recently allowed our largest telecoms to implement usage based billing, setting a bandwidth cap at 25GB, and charging $2/GB over that.

This went largely unnoticed in the media...an online petition was started that got 350 000+ signatures. Thousands of emails and phone calls were sent to our MPs (congressmen) and the CRTC.

And today...the decision got reversed.

“Parents, however, do not distinguish between the complex rules governing media content, whether it is film, literature, television, mobile phones, the internet, computer games or outdoor advertising, he claimed. “Parents just see the relentless mainstreaming of violence and sex pushed by vested commercial interests thumbing their noses at the standards of civil society.”

:laugh:

The ACL and their backwards thinking crap infuriates me, its like they just throw logic out the window and just make things up. What worries me more is that people in power who make the decisions are actually listening to them.

To change the classification scheme, it has to be a unanimous vote amongst all the Attorney's General, so the Attorny General of every state has to be on board with it. The Victorian Attorney General has just today come out and said he isn't keen on supporting an R18+ rating for games because he is afraid it will open some kind of floodgate and flood the market with violent games. So its not looking good for us getting an R rating any time soon :(

I hate that argument too btw, the idea that if we get an R rating for games that there will suddenly be an unstoppable wave of violent games hitting the market here. The reality of the situation is a lot of those games are already here. Theres only been something like 10 games refused classification in the past 6 years, most of them scrape through with an M15+ rating even when they're rating 17+ or 18+ in the rest of the world. All these violent games people are worried about coming out and getting into the hands of children, well, too late, they're already here and because they're sitting there on store shelves able to be bought by 15 year olds, they're already in the hands of children. I would think taking that into account all these christian lobby groups and "Wont someone please think of the children" alarmists would be pro R18+, because that will allow these games which are currently available to minors to be classified more appropriately. But that would be logical, and logic doesn't seem to enter into their arguments.

I hope they translate this. I cant read australian : P

On a side note, Good luck obtaining a copy Australia.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/04/r18-rationality-is-dead/

Another good article from Kotaku about the whole R18+ issue here. This is exactly how I'm feeling, and exactly what I was just saying/ranting about to mates on Saturday night. Its at the point where I'm sick of trying to put forward my side of the discussion, I mean I've filled out the public submission they sent out about it, I've signed petitions, I've written letters to the Attorney Generals and various politicians, but its not a discussion, they aren't willing to even hear the evidence and the logic of our side of things, they just stick to their entirely unfounded, ridiculous stance and stick their fingers in their ears and remain blissfully ignorant.

Its just frustrating and pointless trying to discuss these issues with parties that aren't interested in hearing anything that doesn't align to their misguided preconceptions, even though I know by giving up they essentially win, its kinda like, well whats the alternative? So crap.

all 3 look like douches....bet its hard for them to poop with their anus' so puckered all the time

You can't really blame the classification board for it though, I mean without an R18+ rating, their hands are tied. The classification board is just doing its job really, and they have no power over whether we have an R rating or not. I think everyone would agree that MK9 shouldn't be rated M15+, but without anything higher to rate it, they have no choice but to refuse it classification :(

Yes its a broken system where the government body that classifies film, tv, games, books, etc doesn't actually have any power over changing the classification scheme. That needs to change. We need some kind of industry driven, self regulated body that does classification like the ESRB or PEGI I reckon.

parents out there will say its fine (not all) for their kids to watch MA15+ movies and games but if that same kid and the same parent come to a R18+ rated game or movie the parent will think twice about buying that gam/movie for the child. so why dont they trust parents

"The Classification Review is now underway, with the first committee hearing taking place last Friday. Said hearing didn’t discuss the R18+ issue directly, as a result of the upcoming SCAG meeting in July, but plenty of anti-R18+ campaigners, including Lyle Shelton of the Australian Christian Lobby,...."

Stopped reading right there
lol