Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter..R.E.S.P.E.C.T...

You haven't been around the forum long enough if you think that there aren't MK fans who adopt the same arrogant attitude of some SF fans. The admins and mods on TRMK discourage MK vs SF arguments because they tend to go nowhere (they will delete posts and lock threads when things get out of hand), but it doesn't hide the fact there are prejudices from BOTH sides.

I dont have to be on here long to know that, I give SF its respect it doesnt mean I like dam game, Im just saying both series should get respect for what both fighters have done in the past on both sides and I understand ppl will not see eye to eye on this issue, im just simply asking what ppl think on this rivalry..

I don't particularly care if those SF fans don't view MK as anything special, I will enjoy the game. SF is a good game by all rights, just not my type of thing personally. And I can understand why MK might not be other people's thing.

And if they are just trolling MK because they won't accept any other fighter then SF, then Haters gon' hate.

I dont have to be on here long to know that, I give SF its respect it doesnt mean I like dam game, Im just saying both series should get respect for what both fighters have done in the past on both sides and I understand ppl will not see eye to eye on this issue, im just simply asking what ppl think on this rivalry..

Once again, some members here do their share of bashing other games too; they are not helping the cause in any way. Both MK and SF nuts are alike in the sense they support their favored game no matter what, while disregarding the merits of other. If you want respect, that begins by doing away with the finger-pointing.

Last edited:
Once again, some members MK do their share of bashing other games too; they are not helping the cause in any way. Both MK and SF nuts are alike in the sense they support their favored game no matter what, while disregarding the merits of other. If you want respect, that begins by doing away with the finger-pointing.

You are right ppl really do need to stop pointing the finger, but me personally i dont care what they think MK's the best in my book im just waiting for MK9 in April, LOL I guess.."Haters gonna hate and ballas gonna ball", I just wanted to know how some of you guys felt about it

Last edited:
I grew up being a fan of both Street Fighter, and of Mortal Kombat... respectively. What would I care more for, in my own preference? Well, I'm getting the new Mortal Kombat...the demo is amazing and... In my opinion SFIV and SSFIV were a definite boner killer... I hated the art style, but I often play Super Street Fighter II HD Remix. I'm playing Armageddon until release to hype me up a bit.

i don't see how any fighting game fan can hate sf. it basically started this whole thing and it's friggin ken and ryu!

i'm from the beginning of this crap. literally, 1987 (yi-ar tabletop) beginning. i loved sf2 when it came out, and i played the arcade and bought the games. when mk was released it changed everything, because of how it looked. only the old school even understand this. still, i never stopped loving sf, but back then, it was mk, and then everything else...at least in the midwest where i'm from.

i just recently learned about the big sf scene in cali, since, back then, there was no way of knowing what people were doing in cali or japan or anything like that. so, you just lived in your little bubble, and in my town, mk was god. but, when 3d games came tekken became god--not for me, mainly because it was .75 to 1.00 to play.

anyway, i don't really know anyone from the old days who hates sf. most of us oldies like all those old games. for me, i lump them all together, despite my love for mk1-mk3. world heroes, fighter's history, samurai showdown, street fighter, mortal kombat, virtua fighter, soul calibur, tekken, pit fighter(yup at one point pit fighter was awesome), fatal fury, killer instinct, etc... now it's just mk and sf, but it didn't used to be.

when i was a kid, it used to be customary to get excited for any new street fighter product the same way you would get excited for a new mortal kombat product. that's just how it was. i don't know many fighting game fans who weren't really excited to watch the street fighter 2 anime or the mortal kombat movie.

now, looking back, i will say that capcom takes better care of their products. i can't see capcom releasing something like the warrior's journey--although they did green light the americanized street fighter cartoon. lol. when i was young i used to wish that mk would go to japan and let anime studios make an mk anime like street fighter 2 did, kinda like what the wachowski's did for the animatrix. lol. good times.

imo, it's usually the younger fans who are fiercely loyal to sf or mk, and it usually is for the silliest reasons ever known, instead of actual gameplay.

there is no reason to hate either game; they each have unique gameplay.

I'm a fighting game fan and I don't like SF. I am 100% MK exclusive. However, I don't talk shit about it because I don't care to waste my time complaining about one game when I can be talking about how awesome MK is.

I'm a fighting game fan and I don't like SF. I am 100% MK exclusive. However, I don't talk shit about it because I don't care to waste my time complaining about one game when I can be talking about how awesome MK is.

Doesn't that make you an MK-only person rather than a fan of the fighting genre as a whole?

hmmmm...i think MK vs Soul Calibur would be a better title since they all use weapons :p setsuka vs kitana would be epic, the most girliest weapons!! a parasol against fans

that's cool.

are you under 26 years old? cause like i've said, i've noticed that younger players usually have a preference for one or the other. i used to like mk more than sf, but i could never dislike one or the other completely.

Yeah, I'm coming up on 20. And I'll be completely honest, compared to most MK fans, I'm still young in terms of fandom. I only really got hooked on MK when Deadly Alliance came out, and all games since. I've played all the older games through pc emulators and I've read the story for every character probably a billion times.

Its a more personal issue with me. Do I hope that SF fans will one day respect MK?.. You bet I do! Do I respect SF? Yes! Do I like SF? Hell NO!
Ive always liked MK because its a personal fighter, You are fighting fighting for you life.

The Kharacters of MK are alot more developed IMO with their moves and their storyline, but when it comes to showing in their Kombat...Tekken wins there for now lol The new MK has done a good job in defining their Kharacters in actual kombat.

The whole storyline in general is what had me hooked day 1 over SF its like well I cant explain Big Trouble in little China Town is a good example for me. Mk is like an ancient chinese story, a quest and I love it!

SF is like a friendly exhibition and MK is a brutal compitition of survival, Vengeance, ect.

So all in all SF wins in tournement level play, but I believe Mortal Kombat is rising to the top this is just the begining of it

Its a more personal issue with me. Do I hope that SF fans will one day respect MK?.. You bet I do! Do I respect SF? Yes! Do I like SF? Hell NO!
Ive always liked MK because its a personal fighter, You are fighting fighting for you life.

The Kharacters of MK are alot more developed IMO with their moves and their storyline, but when it comes to showing in their Kombat...Tekken wins there for now lol The new MK has done a good job in defining their Kharacters in actual kombat.

The whole storyline in general is what had me hooked day 1 over SF its like well I cant explain Big Trouble in little China Town is a good example for me. Mk is like an ancient chinese story, a quest and I love it!

SF is like a friendly exhibition and MK is a brutal compitition of survival, Vengeance, ect.

So all in all SF wins in tournement level play, but I believe Mortal Kombat is rising to the top this is just the begining of it

100% agree.
Well put.

i don't see how any fighting game fan can hate sf. it basically started this whole thing and it's friggin ken and ryu!

i'm from the beginning of this crap. literally, 1987 (yi-ar tabletop), atari 2600 on black and white tv beginning. didn't get nes till 88. i loved sf2 when it came out, and i played the arcade and bought the games. when mk was released it changed everything, because of how it looked. only the old school even understand this. imagine growing up playing atari 2600, then playing nes, then playing the cartoony street fighter 2, then walking into an arcade and seeing mk1...yeah. still, i never stopped loving sf, but back then, it was mk, and then everything else...at least in the midwest where i'm from.

i just recently learned about the big sf scene in cali, since, back then, there was no way of knowing what people were doing in cali or japan or anything like that. so, you just lived in your little bubble, and in my town, mk was god. but, when 3d games came tekken became god--not for me, mainly because it was .75 to 1.00 to play.

anyway, i don't really know anyone from the old days who hates sf. most of us oldies like all those old games. for me, i lump them all together, despite my love for mk1-mk3. world heroes, fighter's history, samurai showdown, street fighter, mortal kombat, virtua fighter, soul calibur, tekken, pit fighter(yup at one point pit fighter was awesome), fatal fury, killer instinct, etc... now it's just mk and sf, but it didn't used to be.

when i was a kid, it used to be customary to get excited for any new street fighter product the same way you would get excited for a new mortal kombat product. that's just how it was. i don't know many fighting game fans who weren't really excited to watch the street fighter 2 anime or the mortal kombat movie. hell, i remember when the street fighter movie was coming out, and all the magazines were showing pictures and crap and they announced raul julia as bision. lol. still watched it, cuz it was street fighter. that's how it was.

now, looking back, i will say that capcom takes better care of their products. i can't see capcom releasing something like the warrior's journey--although they did green light the americanized street fighter cartoon. lol. when i was young i used to wish that mk would go to japan and let anime studios make an mk anime like street fighter 2 did, kinda like what the wachowski's did for the animatrix. lol. good times.

imo, it's usually the younger fans who are fiercely loyal to sf or mk, and it usually is for the silliest reasons ever known, instead of actual gameplay.

there is no reason to hate either game; they each have unique gameplay.

Mate, I agree with absolutely everything you just said.

i agree. they are 2 different games. SF2 in the arcades was my first fighting game so I will always be grateful. But as fighters began appearing everywhere, I leaned more towards Mortal, Killer instinct, Soul calibur and Virtua fighter. Mortal was more mature and less cartoony. soul cal and VF were 3d deep fighters. i liked that. Now that MK is going back to its 2D roots, im excited because theres alot of depth to it. you can be fans of all fighters. just depends on your tastes. Mine happen to be deep fighters with alot of blood lol.
Wish soul cal would go M rated can you imagine?

I love SF and MK, I lean a little more towards mk overall though because I like the story, and characters more, plus the violence is always a bonus, at the same time i think SF will always have the most well rounded gameplay and thats okay the new mk looks amazing as all hell and is the game i've been wanting for years

I couldnt of said it better myself ^^

I think SF community respects MK as a game but not as a fighter. SF is a very competitive community. Hopefully this new MK gets accepted into the fighting scene.

I like both MK and Street Fighter, but I have always like MK more, why you ask? Because I like MK Story for one thing, I like the character design better, they look more realistic and less cartoony, its more violent, I love dragons and there is no shortage of dragons in MK. I love ninja since I was born, and of course MK's main fighters are ninjas. I like Chinese and Japanese ancient culture mythology. Theres a lot more reasons why I like MK more, but yes SF is a very solid fighter and I hope this new MK proves that it can be just as solid.

im TERRIBLE @ SF i returned SSF4 because i was always losing online & there wasnt anything fun 2 unlock :p i felt bad though, my boyfriend got 4 me 4 a birthday gift, but he didnt like it either lol