Shang Tsung

I'm pretty certain he's older than that. He won at least one or two MK tournaments prior to bringing Goro into the picture...some sources claim he won upwards of 9 (Threshold Entertainment, for instance), and if THAT is his official winning streak, then it does place his age at about at least 1,000. To me, 9 tournaments in a row for Shang Tsung before being beaten by the Great Kung Lao sounds a little far-fetched, especially given the fact that he was born on Earthrealm, and if his 9 victories counted in Earthrealm's name based solely on Earthrealm birth (a legit possibility, since Bo Rai Cho intentionally ducked the tournament due to his own Outworld birth and chose to train Earthrealm fighters to compete instead), the Great Kung Lao would have represented 10 in a row for Earthrealm, and the consequences for Earthrealm winning 10 in a row have never been made clear. My assumption would be that the Elder Gods would have permanently banned Shao Kahn and his minions from Earthrealm. Seeing as how Goro won the next 9 tournaments since then, either Shang Tsung won 8 or fewer in a row, or perhaps his wins count in the name of Outworld based on him being bound to Shao Kahn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

If Shang Tsung won 8 in a row, that would put him at 400 at the time of the GKL's victory. Then Goro would have come in another 50 years later and beating the GKL. add 8 more victories for Goro, and another 50 years until MK1 and that puts Shang Tsung at about 900+.

I'm pretty certain he's older than that. He won at least one or two MK tournaments prior to bringing Goro into the picture...some sources claim he won upwards of 9 (Threshold Entertainment, for instance), and if THAT is his official winning streak, then it does place his age at about at least 1,000. To me, 9 tournaments in a row for Shang Tsung before being beaten by the Great Kung Lao sounds a little far-fetched, especially given the fact that he was born on Earthrealm, and if his 9 victories counted in Earthrealm's name based solely on Earthrealm birth (a legit possibility, since Bo Rai Cho intentionally ducked the tournament due to his own Outworld birth and chose to train Earthrealm fighters to compete instead), the Great Kung Lao would have represented 10 in a row for Earthrealm, and the consequences for Earthrealm winning 10 in a row have never been made clear. My assumption would be that the Elder Gods would have permanently banned Shao Kahn and his minions from Earthrealm. Seeing as how Goro won the next 9 tournaments since then, either Shang Tsung won 8 or fewer in a row, or perhaps his wins count in the name of Outworld based on him being bound to Shao Kahn.

Once he declared allegiance to the Emperor, he fought for Outworld. His victories would count for Outworld, not Earthrealm.

The way I see it, it's possible to switch allegiances if you're from the defending realm. It's like "I'm a citizen here and I agree with the colonization. Shao Kahn taking over is the best thing that could happen to this planet. I have the right to vote!"
But if you're from Outworld, you can't fight on behalf of Earthrealm.

Once he declared allegiance to the Emperor, he fought for Outworld. His victories would count for Outworld, not Earthrealm.

The way I see it, it's possible to switch allegiances if you're from the defending realm. It's like "I'm a citizen here and I agree with the colonization. Shao Kahn taking over is the best thing that could happen to this planet. I have the right to vote!"
But if you're from Outworld, you can't fight on behalf of Earthrealm.

As flawed as the Elder Gods are, I don't see any rhyme or reason for them not applying equal standards with regards to the Tournament, considering the fact that they wouldn't let Bo Rai Cho compete on Earthrealm's behalf despite having switched his allegiance to Earthrealm.

As flawed as the Elder Gods are, I don't see any rhyme or reason for them not applying equal standards with regards to the Tournament, considering the fact that they wouldn't let Bo Rai Cho compete on Earthrealm's behalf despite having switched his allegiance to Earthrealm.

It's not the same. One realm is attacking and the other is defending. The one from the defending realm can choose if he wants to be invaded or not, but the citizen in the invading realm can't decide against the invasion decided by his Emperor.

Basically the Earthrealmer has the right to vote: choose Shao Kahn who promises eternal life, etc etc lies or Raiden's way.

Maybe NRS just screwed up, but I don't find anything illogical about it.