Mavado

^^ I thought he was awesome in MKD & MKA too - MKA gave the character even more potential move-wise. I believe the main reason why this character was so unpopular was because he "stole" Kabal's hookswords, thus he was perceived as a rip-off by many MK fans. I, however always liked this character and even though I see his reappearance as very unlikely, I would gladly welcome him.

In Deception we learned that Kabal won the rematch and in MKA he was reduced to an enforcer. I didn't like it.

In MKDA he made a good impact. He was looking like a bad guy who gets the job done for once. Hookswords had a good story behind them and the moves he did with them weren't ripoffs.

MKA was never a good story-telling game to begin with - gameplay took precedence over the story, which was one big mess obviously and as far as Mavado is concerned, MKA improved his moveset greatly by adding more special moves involving his signature grappling hooks and power-up ability. When it comes to his position in the clan, Mavado was never stated to be the leader of the Red Dragon, Daegon was its only founder and leader, therefore I do not think his position in the clan has changed from MKDA to MKA. It was a mistake however, to keep the hookswords with Mavado WHILE Kabal had them too. Li Mei used to have Mileena's sai in MKDA but as soon as Mileena returned in MKD, Li Mei's weapon was changed to a sword. This sadly did not occur in Mavado's case and it largely contributed to the perception of him being a ripoff of Kabal.

MKA was never a good story-telling game to begin with - gameplay took precedence over the story, which was one big mess obviously and as far as Mavado is concerned, MKA improved his moveset greatly by adding more special moves involving his signature grappling hooks and power-up ability. When it comes to his position in the clan, Mavado was never stated to be the leader of the Red Dragon, Daegon was its only founder and leader, therefore I do not think his position in the clan has changed from MKDA to MKA. It was a mistake however, to keep the hookswords with Mavado WHILE Kabal had them too. Li Mei used to have Mileena's sai in MKDA but as soon as Mileena returned in MKD, Li Mei's weapon was changed to a sword. This sadly did not occur in Mavado's case and it largely contributed to the perception of him being a ripoff of Kabal.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember hearing that Mavado crafted his own set of hook swords upon his return in MKA. And the reason MKA wasn't a good story teller was because the bio's never made it in to the game. I wonder where they are so we could read them. I'm assuming the team was overwhelmed with the amount of characters to make intertwining bio's with and stopped and abandoned the rest.

As i wrote in 2011 (see page 1 of this Mavado topic :) ) Mavado is my best MK character ever (and still is, in 2014 !)

I love his double-Hookswords, and his SM-like leather outfit ! I also love the concept of the Red-Dragon clan, and i really hope it will appear in "Mortal Kombat X" !

I highly expect this, becuse MK 9 was a reboot of UMK3... maybe MK X will be a reboot of MK:DA ?

MK9 was a reboot of MK1, 2, annd 3.

I agree though, Mavado is quite a cool character but Kabal is the superior hook sword master. MKX will most likely cover MK4 judging on MK9's ending with Shinnok.

Last edited:
Looks like Mavado is in MKX. This is based on the pictures of the boots. In one of the pictures someone is in a trench coat like Mavado. Also he is e second most favorite character of Boon

I honestly feel like Mavado's alternate costume was superior to his standard one. The red bandana over the face with the silver outfit makes him standout more and gives him a more "older" feel. I think I've already said it elsewhere but I think the original idea for the Red Dragon (before Hsu Hao) was an "older evil" with Daegon and Mavado in contrast to the new evil of Kano and Kabal with their cybernetics.