Hsu Hao

Hsu Hao= Worst character in MK, and one of the worst character designs in existence for a video game.

Glad this POS ain't comin' back ever.

I never understood the Hsu Hao hate. He was a solid fighter in Deadly Alliance. Then, for some retarded reason, NRS decided that he was the absolutely worst character in the series. Fans obviously jumped on that bandwagon, and Hsu Hao was complete crap in Armageddon.

Pretty retarded, if you ask me.

Then, for some retarded reason, NRS decided that he was the absolutely worst character in the series. Fans obviously jumped on that bandwagon
nah, I'm pretty sure most people hated Hsu Hao because he was unoriginal, and looked completly retarded

as for Stryker, I have never undertood all the hate. you can say "**** the Police" all you want, but at the end of the day, he still owns any post mk3 character.sure he may have been one of the more unoriginal characters in the classic games, but he's redeemed himself due to every other character being 10x worse. And they made him actually cool in MK9

and stupid-ass IGN had to go and constantly bash stryker during mk9's hype, so expect a horde of IGNorant people to jump on the styker hate bandwagon

I never understood the Hsu Hao hate. He was a solid fighter in Deadly Alliance. Then, for some retarded reason, NRS decided that he was the absolutely worst character in the series. Fans obviously jumped on that bandwagon, and Hsu Hao was complete crap in Armageddon.

Pretty retarded, if you ask me.
I hated Hsu Hao because I actually hate him, not because I'm ridin' Eddy's nuts or whatever. He has an uninteresting storyline, being only Mavado's b***h and all, a boring personality (no ambition or motives whatsoever, just there to follow Mavado's order), an uninspired look that doesn't even fit the style of MK, and his gameplay is half-assed. Seriously, a heart laser and some stupid clap special is supposed to be interesting, especially enough to be the main things Hsu Hao's kombat skills revolve around? Sorry, but one or two unique special moves definitely aren't enough of saving graces to justify the dreck that Hsu Hao is.

nah, I'm pretty sure most people hated Hsu Hao because he was unoriginal, and looked completly retarded

as for Stryker, I have never undertood all the hate. you can say "**** the Police" all you want, but at the end of the day, he still owns any post mk3 character.sure he may have been one of the more unoriginal characters in the classic games, but he's redeemed himself due to every other character being 10x worse. And they made him actually cool in MK9

and stupid-ass IGN had to go and constantly bash stryker during mk9's hype, so expect a horde of IGNorant people to jump on the styker hate bandwagon

Hahaha! "IGNorant" I like that. Very clever

:p

I hated Hsu Hao because I actually hate him, not because I'm ridin' Eddy's nuts or whatever. He has an uninteresting storyline, being only Mavado's b***h and all, a boring personality (no ambition or motives whatsoever, just there to follow Mavado's order), an uninspired look that doesn't even fit the style of MK, and his gameplay is half-assed. Seriously, a heart laser and some stupid clap special is supposed to be interesting, especially enough to be the main things Hsu Hao's kombat skills revolve around? Sorry, but one or two unique special moves definitely aren't enough of saving graces to justify the dreck that Hsu Hao is.

Rain, human Smoke and Noob Saibot all say hello.

All three were insignificant characters in the first three games. It wasn't until Deception that Noob was fleshed out, and then solidified in the new game. The human version of Smoke didn't even have a notable story, or even a unique move set, until this current game. And Rain? A joke character. But, nobody is complaining about his inclusion as DLC in the new game.

There's no reason why Hsu Hao can't be fleshed out and innovated in a future game.

There's no reason why Hsu Hao can't be fleshed out and innovated in a future game.

I agree.

Although Hsu Hao wasn't the most memorable character, he certainly never crossed my mind to be the worst.
His moves were unique to Mortal Kombat.
Thunder-clap IMO, is one of the most badass moves ever.

And even though his story of Mavado's lapdog is retarded, I liked the MK team's intentions of making him the pseudo Jax.
Its stupid that Sonya and Jax share their rivalry with Kano.

Glad to see some Hsu Hao fans, I thought I was the only one ever. I've been a fan of MK for as long as I can remember mostly due to the character designs yet I never saw much issue with Hsu Hao. Like all MK characters they are expanded upon in other games yet Hsu Hao was written off straight away and never got that chance. I always found the Red Dragon stuff kind of boring but then again it's not like 'all' the main favorite MK characters have perfect stories either. Besides, I was always quite good with his moves in MK:DA so I never found reason to complain.

There are a lot more characters that have a lot more potential than this guy. I respect your opinions and all, but I just don't think they should spend time trying to prove a product that's already been shunned by the fans and the devs alike. Give others a chance. What about Li Mei, Hotaru, hell even Jarek or Chameleon might deserve a second chance than characters like Hsu Hao, Kobra, Kira, Mavado that don't even have a real place in MK. Hsu Hao would need a MAJOR revamp, so he just wouldn't be the worth the time and energy need for that.

I hate the mentality, "Oh, look at how Stryker and Smoke became badasses, so let's bring back everybody so they can become badasses, too!" No, just simply no. For one, I don't want another Armageddon. They would have to have had to something unique about them already to be given a second chance. You know, that MK feel or whatever.

I don't know about you, but I can't imagine Hsu Hao in a 2D plane amongst Liu Kang, Scorpion, Kenshi, etc. He would just look so out of place. Sure, Hsu Hao has one or two good special moves, but like I said, does that really justify him to come back? Just think about it. And how far would his story go? There's no interesting directions they can take his plot. And don't say, "oh, his story can be revamped", because you actually have to give him an interesting backstory that fits his character, not some randomly relevant storyline like "Oh guys, forgot to tell you, he's Sonya's father's killer!" that only serves to artificially give him purpose. That's the same shit they did with Rain in Armageddon, making him the half-brother of Taven and Daegon (who are, gasp, more random key components to the storyline!), which I certainly don't appreciate.

BTW, Rain, Noob and Smoke are terrible examples. ALL had likeable things about them, and you could obviously tell the amount of potential that they had, Rain being the only water-controlling character in the series and the Edenian male equivalent to Tanya (as in both are traitors to their home realm), Smoke being able to manipulate his namesake and being Kuai Liang's best friend, and Noob having demonic/shadow powers and being Quan Chi's most-trusted servant (I don't count him being Bi-Han in his former life, because that wasn't revealed until Deception, another random plot revelation I don't really appreciate, either, but since that actually fits his character, because of the events of MKM: SZ, I gave it a pass). Plus, they're ninjas, NRS knows we're suckers for more ninjas. I don't expect every new character to be absolutely great on appearance, scratch that, I don't expect any new characters to be great on arrival. That's the point of new characters, is for us to grow to like them as the series passes on, and the directions they take with their story are more interesting and relevant and their gameplay continues to become more fun and unique. But Hsu Hao, one of the laziest, uninspired, and simply worst character designs I've ever seen? We could see him as a great character in other game series, but definitely the hell not in MK.

And... My rant is over.

Last edited:
There are a lot more characters that have a lot more potential than this guy. I respect your opinions and all, but I just don't think they should spend time trying to prove a product that's already been shunned by the fans and the devs alike. Give others a chance. What about Li Mei, Hotaru, hell even Jarek or Chameleon might deserve a second chance than characters like Hsu Hao, Kobra, Kira, Mavado that don't even have a real place in MK. Hsu Hao would need a MAJOR revamp, so he just wouldn't be the worth the time and energy need for that.

I hate the mentality, "Oh, look at how Stryker and Smoke became badasses, so let's bring back everybody so they can become badasses, too!" No, just simply no. For one, I don't want another Armageddon. They would have to have had to something unique about them already to be given a second chance. You know, that MK feel or whatever.

I don't know about you, but I can't imagine Hsu Hao in a 2D plane amongst Liu Kang, Scorpion, Kenshi, etc. He would just look so out of place. Sure, Hsu Hao has one or two good special moves, but like I said, does that really justify him to come back? Just think about it. And how far would his story go? There's no interesting directions they can take his plot. And don't say, "oh, his story can be revamped", because you actually have to give him an interesting backstory that fits his character, like some randomly relevant storyline like "Oh guys, forgot to tell you, he's Sonya's father's killer!" that only serves to artificially give him purpose. That's the same shit they did with Rain in Armageddon, making him the half-brother of Taven and Daegon (who re, gasp, more random key components to the storyline!), which I certainly don't appreciate.

And... My rant is over.

Good rant sir. But Jarek could never ever ever ever be a badass. And Taven and Daegon were cool.

Good rant sir. But Jarek could never ever ever ever be a badass. And Taven and Daegon were cool.
I edited my post with more crap if you wanted to read it.

I was just using Jarek as an example, I hate him too. And I mostly hate Daegon; the main reason I dislike Taven is because of his cookie-cutter storyline; he was way too important to the plot to be just a newcomer in Armageddon, and he single-handedly made Midway treat Shujinko, one of my favorite characters in the storyline, like crap in Armageddon. But for the most part, I hated the storyline of Armageddon. I do think he has chance for a revamp, though; his ability to freeze time temporarily is actually pretty cool, IMO. I think he might fit the style of MK.

They could make him one of the leaders of the Edenian Resistance. Give him more of a personality; like maybe he is a very strong leader and a sense of responsibility. Or give him a subtle sense of humor; I think that'd be appreciated in the MKverse. Retcon the whole son of Argus/Armageddon quest crap, replace his fire powers with something else, and give him more of a unique look. His outfit in Armageddon was boring, especially for a debut character. He might actually be a fan favorite like that, IMO.

Mavado is pretty noteworthy. The Black Dragon sprung off the Red Dragon, which Mavado leads. Mavado and the Red Dragon want the Black Dragon dead; that's pretty effin' sweet.

Besides, in the story, Mavado kills Kabal, and claims his hook swords. I certainly enjoy Mavado's use of the hook swords a hell of a lot more than I do Kabal.

I always enjoyed Jarek. He could be a total beast in the next game.

I used to pull out the best combos ever with Hsu Hao in MK5. Come to think of it MK5 was a pretty decent game too. 4,6,7 and 8 (only lack of violence and wacky dialogue killed it) were like meh

Best character ever. Also, a good move by the MK team for diversity! We've got Native Americans (Nightwolf), Grandmas (Sindel) and now jaundiced Chinese PLA malariacs (Hsu Hao)!

Rain, human Smoke and Noob Saibot all say hello.

All three were insignificant characters in the first three games. It wasn't until Deception that Noob was fleshed out, and then solidified in the new game. The human version of Smoke didn't even have a notable story, or even a unique move set, until this current game. And Rain? A joke character. But, nobody is complaining about his inclusion as DLC in the new game.

did you just compare Rain, Smoke, and Noob to Hsu Hao? lol ok then dude

sure NRS can try to recreate any character, but Noob, Smoke, Rain already started out as badasses with more than 5 actual fans. And just because Hsu Hao was given a role in the story,that doesnt make him automaticly superior to Rain or Smoke. People liked Rain in the old games because he was a ninja, had a cool name, and had cool powers. That is why people are excited about him as DLC.
Hsu Hao on the other hand.....well......just no. I dont care how hard they try to reinvent him, he has and always will be a pile of shit.