Rain

Crazy how so many people go nuts over Rain yet he has one of the least replies here :/

Crazy how so many people go nuts over Rain yet he has one of the least replies here :/

well the Rain thread is a bit "pointless" because it's mostly for a guide to use him and he's not out yet.. but the Rain discussion one is quite active. now that they released the smoke/noob saibot skins video, Rain's gameplay trailer is next :D after that his vignette and after that the klassic skins they'll give when he is released :D can't wait :D won't that video come out in like a week or so?

I always imagined Rain as an arrogant, conscending kind of warrior, the type that likes to flaunt his Edenian/royal roots and water powers to everyone.

Alright guys. I'm going make a bit of a speculation on what his moves will be like in MK2011. I'm really excited for Rain.

Lightning Bolt: Lightning comes from the sky, pops-em up for a good mid-screen or wall combo. 9 or 10% sounds balanced for a pop-up. Depends on his combo-ability.
EXLightning Bolt: Perhaps they could give him a zoning mechanic and it strikes multiple areas of the stage, making it almost unavoidable.

Vapor Teleport: A move similar to Raiden's teleport, only it uses water and can be done in the air.
EXVapor Teleport: Perhaps the EX version would pop-em up and 3% damge to boot. Possibly used as a wake-up atttack.

Control Ball: Hit em' with it, decide where they land within the time frame of control. 13%. Slow movement for balancing.
EXControl Ball: Longer control duration with more damage. 16%. Slow-to-Medium speed for balancing.

Roundhouse: Hard to say...
EXRoundhouse: Throw in another hit, maybe. Could be used to end a chain while the normal version could start or link the combo chain. 8%, maybe 9%.

As for new moves. They should give him something that let's him have a good rushdown game. Maybe even give him moves that give him a good mix-up mechanic.

Months after he was realeased for dlc, I must say I am very fond of him. He has great moves and design, I simply love what they've done with him in MK9. This version of Rain reminds me of the MKT one, in which you could come up with these crazy long combos of his.

I love Rain :love:
Behind Noob and Ermac, he's my favorite Ninja.
Can't forget that ****ing devastating roundhouse kick he has, the X-ray version is super dope, too.
They really went all out on the MK9 version of Rain, but I started liking him in Trilogy.. when I became tired of using Noob constantly, I switched to Rain. After UMK3/Trilogy, I didn't get to play as him until Mortal Kombat Armageddon.. and they ****ed his costume up BAD :cry: After that, all I could think about was hoping he got a cool costume in MK9 when he was announced as DLC. Actually, that's why I joined this forum.. to see if anybody had information if Rain was going to be confirmed for DLC or not. While he remains not played as much as I'd like him to be in MK9, I'm still really pleased on his outcome. However, I would have REALLY liked an alternate costume for him. Don't get me wrong, regular attire is fine.. but it wouldn't have hurt to see him in the old UMK3 shell costume like Subzero got :)

Last edited:
Rain is my second favorite ninja, only behind Ermac (who is also my favorite character in the series)

I'm glad they decided to bring Rain back as he has the potential to become so much more than what he is now

Wait, so somehow this thread is devoid of the classic Love Cowboy Rain rant? I am disappoint in myself.

So anyway, Rain isn't even hardly an MK character. He was included in the attract mode of UMK3 just as a joke. He didn't appear in an MK game that counts until MKA, which he is only in because they made a point of including ALL characters in that one. However, for some inexplicable reason he ended up in the home ports of UMK3 as a playable character, and all of a sudden everyone goes absolutely fricking NUTS about Rain and they can't get enough stinking Rain and sleep with their little Rain plushies at night, and it just drives me up the frickin' wall because HE'S NOT EVEN A REAL MK CHARACTER. Ugh...

K... now I feel better.

Wait, so somehow this thread is devoid of the classic Love Cowboy Rain rant? I am disappoint in myself.

So anyway, Rain isn't even hardly an MK character. He was included in the attract mode of UMK3 just as a joke. He didn't appear in an MK game that counts until MKA, which he is only in because they made a point of including ALL characters in that one. However, for some inexplicable reason he ended up in the home ports of UMK3 as a playable character, and all of a sudden everyone goes absolutely fricking NUTS about Rain and they can't get enough stinking Rain and sleep with their little Rain plushies at night, and it just drives me up the frickin' wall because HE'S NOT EVEN A REAL MK CHARACTER. Ugh...

K... now I feel better.

You blew my mind sir O___O

Rain? Anti-Liu Kang?

Eh, sounds kinda cheesy to me, TBH

Not that it's a bad idea, but it seems like the only reason anyone would do that is because Liu Kang has fire powers

K... now I feel better.

This is like my favorite rant on TRMK, ever.

He makes some good points, lol.

K... now I feel better.

I've been a Rain fan ever since the day that I was able to use him in UMK3 on my Sega Genesis.
I was pretty annoyed that they didn't include him in the main roster in MK9, especially considering that he's my main.
He definitely deserves that spot WAY more than Quan Chi and Cyber Sub-Zero.
This was supposed to be an MK1 thru UMK 3 reboot, wasn't it?
He was playable on home consoles, so YES, that counts.
Quan Chi would have been better fitted at the end of the MK9 story (like he was), and either MK9 DLC or playable in MK10.

If we're talking about characters that are "not even a real character," then Ermac and Skarlet shouldn't be in either, considering that they're both glitches.
Ermac and Skarlet glitches both happened on the console versions, if we're going to get technical about it.
At least they had a character model for Rain.

Playable on home ports or the arcade version, he was still playable in an MK game so he's just as much as an MK character as anyone else is

Definitely agree with that Araknyd

Uh, home ports of MK games that were originally released in the arcade do NOT count. Everyone knows this.

To you.
Since when does this apply to everyone.
When did you become the spokesperson for everyone?
When Ed Boon mentioned in various interviews that "Characters that you liked from the MK 1 thru UMK3 days would be in MK9" he didn't say "Oh, but not the characters that were on consoles."