Sub-Zero

Jade

Sub-Zero

250px-Sub-Zero.jpeg

Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 210 lbs.
Resides: Earthrealm

Following his brother's failure to assassinate Shang Tsung during the first tournament (and his eventual death therein at the hands of Scorpion), the young Lin Kuei warrior took up his brother's codename and was sent to Outworld to complete the assignment after Shao Khan's tournament was announced; he was accompanied by fellow Lin Kuei and close friend Smoke. He soon discovered Scorpion's foul vendetta against his brother. Scorpion had risen from the Netherealm once more upon learning of Sub-Zero's "survival" and continued to hold a grudge. However, Scorpion received a rude awakening when he witnessed Sub-Zero spare the life of a defeated opponent whom he battled during the tournament, which left him confused for he did not understand why Sub-Zero showed mercy. Scorpion then came to the realization that this Sub-Zero was actually his sworn enemy's younger brother, and thus swore not to harm him. Sub-Zero never learned why the specter spared his life. Despite their efforts, neither accomplished the mission that they were tasked to do for the Lin Kuei, although they did assist Liu Kang, Raiden, and their allies in Liu Kang's battle with Shao Kahn. Smoke and Sub-Zero returned home empty handed.

The armies of Shao Kahn attacked Earthrealm, and Sub-Zero was among the few mortals whose souls were spared so they could fight Kahn and his extermination squads. These events also signalled the beginning of Sub-Zero's transition to a greater moral consciousness. Unluckily for Sub-Zero, his cybernetic assassins, lacking souls, also survived. Sub-Zero eventually encountered Smoke and convinced him that he still had a soul, which then overrode Smoke's Lin Kuei programming. With his new ally, Sub-Zero was able to overwhelm Sektor and Cyrax. However, instead of destroying Cyrax's CPU, he reprogrammed the cyborg to hunt and terminate Shao Khan (at which Cyrax failed - he would wander in Jade's Desert and become trapped there). Smoke was again less fortunate: he was captured by Shao Kahn's troops and transported to Outworld as a curiosium. Eventually, the Earthrealm warriors were victorious and Earth was restored to its normal state.

When the banished Elder God Shinnok threatened the Earthrealm, Raiden once again summoned Sub-Zero to assist in the defense of Earth. In homage to his older brother, Sub-Zero donned his sibling's uniform, and brought to the battle information passed to him which could prove essential to Raiden in his mission to stop Shinnok. In the meantime, Quan Chi had convinced Scorpion that Sub-Zero still retained some culpability for the destruction of the Shirai Ryu, turning the spectre's hostile attentions to him once more. Sub-Zero met Scorpion in Goro's Lair and the two fought, with Scorpion gaining the upper hand. When it seemed that Scorpion was going to kill Sub-Zero, the former Lin Kuei warrior revealed that he had no role in the murder of Scorpion's family. Quan Chi, convinced that Sub-Zero was about to die nonetheless, readily admitted his deed to Scorpion, who then turned on Quan Chi and transported the sorcerer into the Netherrealm, where Scorpion hunted Quan Chi unceasingly. This was to be the last time Scorpion and Sub-Zero were to actively oppose each other.

Sub-Zero held a tournament at the Lin Kuei headquarters in order to recruit strong warriors, and a female who surprisingly harnessed the same freezing powers as Sub-Zero emerged as the winner. Impressed by her exceptional skill, Sub-Zero made Frost his apprentice, breaking Lin Kuei tradition. While she was a superb fighter, Frost did not agree with Sub-Zero's philosophies and appeared arrogant and aloof, which would generate some friction between her and Sub-Zero's allies, specifically Sonya.

When Sub-Zero and Frost were separated from the other Earthrealm warriors on Outworld, Frost succeeded to steal the Dragon Medallion. Unable to control the medallion's powerful energies, she was consumed by her own freezing abilities and seemingly died. Sub-Zero placed the blame squarely on his own shoulders for her death, feeling he had failed to dampen her pride and teach her the same philosophies of life he had.
Lin Kuei Grandmaster, Sub-Zero

As he searched for a place to bury Frost, he encountered the ruins of an Outworld civilization capable of manipulating cold. After careful study and examination of this race, the Cryomancers, he came to the realization that he and Frost were descendants of this race. Burying her and forgiving her for her betrayal, Sub-Zero donned an ancient suit of armor found in the ruins and enhanced his powers once more. He headed for the portal, to rendezvous with Raiden and the Earthrealm forces. On his way through the Outworld he was attacked by an group of Tarkatan warriors. After killing them in the Living Forest, he was pursued by their new ally Hotaru. Sub-Zero soon found the deadly wounded swordsman Kenshi in Outworld and saved his live. Kenshi reported him about the failure of Raiden and his forces. So they decided to return to Earthrealm together. As Hotaru takes an assault on them and temporary blinded Sub-Zero, it was this time Kenshi who successfully defended the live of his new companion. They deafeted Hotaru and continued their way.

As Shujinko rallied Earth's remaining warriors to defeat the new threat in Onaga, Sub-Zero once again ventured back into the Outworld where he soon ran into Sareena. Since she helped free his brother from his confines of the Netherrealm and also helped defeat Quan Chi with him so many years ago, Sub-Zero offered her asylum within the Lin Kuei. Sub-Zero gave Sareena a small metallic object that would guide her and grant her access to the hidden Lin Kuei temple. The two then spotted two dark figures leaving Shao Kahn’s fortress, it was Sub-Zero’s brother Noob Saibot and his good friend Smoke, the two disappeared into the Netherealm. Sub-Zero ordered Sareena to wait for him at Lin Kuei temple as he ventured after the two, however Noob and Smoke knew they were being followed and attacked Sub-Zero in the Netherealm. The Grandmaster was overpowered until Sareena jumped in fending off Sub-Zero’s would be assassins but not before Sub-Zero was left unconscious, but upon waking Sareena had reverted back to her demonic form, dazed and still very confused Sub-Zero attacked and Sareena fled to the depths of the Netherrealm.

Upon returning to the Lin Kuei temple in Earthrealm, Sub-Zero discovers many of his fellow Lin Kuei slain by a highly delusional Frost, who was in reality still very much alive when he buried her, and had now returned seeking revenge. Sub-Zero then froze the highly unstable Frost in a solid block of ice and placed her frozen body in a shrine deep in the temple, with the knowledge that she will one day recover, and, on that day, will have to answer for her crimes against the Lin Kuei.

Liu Kang first thought the Lin Kuei were responsible for the disappearing warriors. Thinking Liu Kang was also responsible for the disappearance of his own clan, Sub-Zero challenged and was defeated by Kang. However, he allied himself with the monk when Kang told him of their own forces disappearing and then saved him [Sub-Zero] from Scorpion. Retreating to the Lin Kuei temple, he found the Fortress of Solitude had appeared. Sub-Zero went down and froze Superman in ice. Wonder Woman sought out Superman and defeated Sub-Zero, taking him prisoner and freeing the Man of Steel. At the U.N. orbital station, Wonder Woman was defeated by Jax, who also decided to free the Lin Kuei warrior and take his offer of help.

Sub-Zero once again returns in MK9 after his brother is killed by Scorpion. He seeks to fight Scorpion to bring honor to his brother's name.

Signature Moves
Ice Freeze (MKII, MK3, UMK3, MKT, MK4, MKG, MK:DA, MK:D, MK:U, MK:SM, MK:A, MKvsDCU, MK 2011)
Slide (MKII, MK3, UMK3, MKT, MK4, MKG, MK:SM, MKvsDCU, MK 2011)
Ground Ice(MKII, MK:SM, MK 2011)
Ice Clone(MK3, UMK3, MKT, MK4, MKG, MK:D, MK:U, MK:A, MK 2011)
Ice Shaker (MK:DA)
Ice Shower (MK3, UMK3, MKT, MK:A)
Cold Shoulder (MK:DA, MK:D, MK:U, MK:A)
Freezing Teleport (MKvsDCU)
Icy Counter (MKvsDCU, MK 2011)
Ice Nugget (MKvsDCU)
X-Ray Move - Deep Freeze (MK:2011)

Fatalities
Spine Rip (MK4, MKG, MK:SM, MK 2011)
Skeleton Rip (MK:DA)
Deep Freeze Uppercut (MKll, MK4, MKG, MK:SM)
Ice Grenade (MKll)
Freeze and Throw (MK:D)
Ice Breath (MK3, UMK3)
Below Freezing (MK:D)
Overhead Ice Smash (MK3, UMK3, MKvsDCU)
Freeze Kick (MKvsDCU)
Have an Ice Day (MK 2011)
Freeze and Shatter (MK 2011)

Other Finishers
Friendship #1: "Buy a Sub-Zero Doll." (MKII)
Friendship #2: Sub-Zero makes himself into a snowman. (MK3, UMK3, MKT)
Animality: Polar Bear (MK3, UMK3, MKT)
Hara-Kiri: Meltdown (MK:D)

what do some of u guys expect the reason why sub-zero is a bit slow is because he's too powerful. imagine sub-zero with more speed he would be unstopable, his special moves are too great. its the same with johny cage he's really fast thats why his x-ray is only a counter attack. it would be unfair and then u really be complaining about something meaningful. the mk team knows what they are doing this is why im loving this game its so balanced.

Fellow Sub-Zero lovers, take your love and loyalty to the next level by joining Team Sub-Zero!
Where your sig banner proudly, as I do.

what do some of u guys expect the reason why sub-zero is a bit slow is because he's too powerful. imagine sub-zero with more speed he would be unstopable, his special moves are too great. its the same with johny cage he's really fast thats why his x-ray is only a counter attack. it would be unfair and then u really be complaining about something meaningful. the mk team knows what they are doing this is why im loving this game its so balanced.

I think you put this in the wrong spot but non the less Hes great for me very well balanced in the demo

I had to put a Sub-Zero Tribute on here with his Fatalities being he is my favorite Kharacter had the Song in the video isnt what I perfer but its actually about him lol

:)

Edit: Not my video and yes the music sucks but is funny lol, only video I could find that actually shows every fatality without missing any

Last edited:
My second favourite character behind scorpion. Not exactly feeling him in the new game due to me being a speed guy, but I will learn!

My second favourite character behind scorpion. Not exactly feeling him in the new game due to me being a speed guy, but I will learn!

Yeah its a big change guess we will see when the full game comes out but I actually like his balance right now maybe speed up the ground freeze for sure though

I love Sub-Zero despite how many times he gets beat by Scorpion in every trailer. He's amazing and always been one of my mains in every game played.

Sub-Zero's one of the best MK characters, but his storyline since MK3 has been lackluster. He's just another one of Raiden's Earthrealm warriors.

They need to bring back his fatality from Deadly Alliance, that was incredible !

I didnt care for that one so much. My favorites at the moment (not counting the Klassic Spine Rip) is his Deception Fatality the second one were he breaks them in half. The other awsome fatality that I liked was his uppercut onto that ice spike from trilogy