Combos !?!

PS3Scrawny

So I've been playin the demo a tonne and thought to myself Sub Zero my all time fave doesn't have too many good combo chains compared to the other 3 characters.
I decided to give him a second chance and found that I was dead wrong. I was able to pull off 10 -11 hit combos with him averaging 40-50 % damage.

So I was happy for a little while until I noticed something odd.

I was trying a lower string combo, 5 to 6 hits and noticed the damage in the 20% range. So I thought I would try to get a couple more hits in this combo and bump it up to 7 or 8 hits. Now I have to stress this THE ROOT OF THE COMBO WAS THE SAME. I would just and a freeze or enhanced move in the start or the end.

To my surprise the damage was sometimes lower !?!

I tried this with a number of different combos and the same thing happened. The harder i worked or the more hits I got in sometimes resulted in less damage even if I used up and enhanced bar.

I can understand why NRS would tone down the combo the crazier it got but if I'm gunna spend 1/3 off my power meter at least give me and extra % of damage or two

Anyone else notice this??

I have. But not much, I don't usually play Sub-Zero in the Demo. I always play Mileena because she makes me happy....uh...in a better way. LOL!

This is normal for MK combos if you played a lot of MK3 or UMK3. I even remember some in MK4 and it definitely occurred in MKA. Inexplicably, more hits can often equal less damage. I just always figure this is implemented to keep people from spamming combos with a huge amount of hits and inflicting insane amounts of damage.

Being MK9, maybe it's a demo thing or you're right and this is how they will tone down certain combos. I expected to hear this sooner of later if not able to experience it myself yet.

Im fine with it. My strategy playing against others anyway has always been 5-6 hit combos and just really mixing things up to keep them guessing, lots of high and low attacks mixed. With the demo being an old build I was actually happy with Sub-Zero's performance in it. I do think his ground freeze needs to be speeded up though!!

It's actually strange, like in MKvsDCU, I did some pretty long combos with Sonya, and then I discovered some smaller combos, with a normal 2-hit string and two special moves, and the damage was much higher than that of the long combos I did.

This is normal for MK combos if you played a lot of MK3 or UMK3. I even remember some in MK4 and it definitely occurred in MKA. Inexplicably, more hits can often equal less damage. I just always figure this is implemented to keep people from spamming combos with a huge amount of hits and inflicting insane amounts of damage.

Being MK9, maybe it's a demo thing or you're right and this is how they will tone down certain combos. I expected to hear this sooner of later if not able to experience it myself yet.

Yea, damage scaling. I have a 5 hit 30% with Mileena and can also add hits on that to say 9 hits 27% or so. Whats really interesting is how much the game scales the x-rays.

To check it I did 5 hit and 9 (might have been 10 hits) combo's. Now I what did was ended the combo with 3 punches and waited a split second before doing the x-ray. What this does is forces the game to finish counting the hits and damage but "tricks" it to counting the x-ray seperatly but when the damage is shown it is scaled like it was still a part of the combo string. IE 11% and 17%

I also agree, Subby's ground freeze could use a speed adjustement but like we know its now just about a 9 week old build so who knows what all has been adjusted since then.

Yeah sometimes I can double freeze my opponent if I slow the gaps in the combo so it doesn't chain together.
Probably block-able though.

Im glad its like this though. Keeps the fight going on longer and makes it more enjoyable instead of dying in 10 seconds..

It's actually strange, like in MKvsDCU, I did some pretty long combos with Sonya, and then I discovered some smaller combos, with a normal 2-hit string and two special moves, and the damage was much higher than that of the long combos I did.

I believe that has to do with damage scaling and what attacks you used in the combo.

sub0s is cool like ice... lulz!!

he will freeze yo ass and combo up da shit like u fink its mugen or some shit!

sub0 is my fav with scropian adn jakcs an meliina adn sonya asn jonnhy page...

(how come i cant get +rep yo??? wheres da rep button "?)

Yeah sometimes I can double freeze my opponent if I slow the gaps in the combo so it doesn't chain together.
Probably block-able though.

You are absolutly right, if it were vs. a human or even the cpu I am sure it would be blocked but vs. a dummy its interesting to see how much of a variation the scaling is.

Im glad its like this though. Keeps the fight going on longer and makes it more enjoyable instead of dying in 10 seconds..

Ed had said yesterday:
noobdenoobde
RT @SubZeroIce Will damage stay the same from the demo or will it be scaled? Noobde: Will definitely be scaled. That's an earlier build.

Which I agree with, I was destroying a friend who was visiting in about 10-15 seconds and while it was entertaining to hear him cuss up a storm it needs to be toned down.

The thing I dont understand is when i add a jump punch or an extra strike in the combo I sometimes get less on my damage. It should at least scale up 1 or 2% dont u think?

Otherwise I'm just increasing my opponents x-ray meter by adding more hits if you think about it.