What is the purpose of the "Stance" button?

This is my ONLY minor complaint with an otherwise "flawless" (pun-intended) sneak peak into what's sure to be the most talked about, played, analyzed, bad ass video game in years. But seriously, what is the gameplay purpose of fighting stances. And or changing them? I honestly want to know why that was implemented. I honestly think they should have unleashed a different set of combos depending on stance or something if they were to include them.

Right now, it only allows me to see Mileena's ass when I want and to hide the fact that Scorpions chest is wide open and bloodsoaked. Dare I say it, I would rather them put the dreaded run button in. At least it would effect the depth of gameplay. I am hoping something is implemented in the final build to make stances useful.

If anyone knows how so, please tell me.

Thanks.

Pretty sure it's just to keep the feel of the 2.5D format fluid, and so that you can appreciate the entire character model

Yeah, see I just don't like it as a aesthetic. Granted, I'm in complete awe of the demo. It's ****in' brilliant. Been playin' non-stop since Tuesday but moving forward I think NRS should make it a great tool offensively/defensively in a really creative and layered way. They should think of implementing player specific combo move sets that vary depending on which stance you are using.

I think it would be a brilliant touch and give they game another layer to chew into. They can keep what they have now the same but work on integrating that. It'll make the invetible MK2 that much more viable in the long run.

What button is the stance button mapped to?

It may be used in tag team to switch characters in and out.

Run Button?
My brother told me when we first discovered Mortal kombat, Ed boon tweeted 'There Is No Run Button' Backwards...Is this true?

No one said, there's a RUN button lol There is no run button in the new MK.

You read my post all wrong.

I said there is a STANCE button. But it currently serves no real gameplay purpose. I would like NRS to implement some gameplay purposes for it to make MK even deeper.

I said, they MIGHT AS WELL put the Run button in because at least it served SOME gameplay purpose.

No one said, there's a RUN button lol There is no run button in the new MK.

You read my post all wrong.

I said there is a STANCE button. But it currently serves no real gameplay purpose. I would like NRS to implement some gameplay purposes for it to make MK even deeper.

I said, they MIGHT AS WELL put the Run button in because at least it served SOME gameplay purpose.

I know, I just never got an answer from anyone so far.

Run Button?
My brother told me when we first discovered Mortal kombat, Ed boon tweeted 'There Is No Run Button' Backwards...Is this true?

yes this is true.

and yeh i agree stance seems pretty useless, dont your back and front punch and kick buttons switch when you change stance? (back to front) if thats the case, it just seems like a confusing pointless addition.

yes this is true.

and yeh i agree stance seems pretty useless, dont your back and front punch and kick buttons switch when you change stance? (back to front) if thats the case, it just seems like a confusing pointless addition.

Nah, I was trying to figure out what it does too. It's just so you can see the front or back of the character. Doesn't change nuffin', 'cept for what you see..

I think it may have a purpose for tag team other than tag out. There are many things you can do in tag team battles. Like use your teammates specials. So I'm sure there's a purpose we aren't just seeing. Unless they want to put it in so players can dance with each other or something.

The idea that your stance should affect gameplay properties is utterly retarded, and is symptomatic of the socially backward "super hardcore" players who want to turn every game into a math problem with 9000 variables. Haven't you guys had enough killing fighting games over the last 10 years, that you now want to destroy the latest return to form?

A much more elegant solution would be to simply tie in Stances with Taunts. Whenever you taunt someone, you switch stance. That way the cool aesthetic is kept and the marginalized hardcore leet lamers can use it in gameplay.

The idea that your stance should affect gameplay properties is utterly retarded, and is symptomatic of the socially backward "super hardcore" players who want to turn every game into a math problem with 9000 variables. Haven't you guys had enough killing fighting games over the last 10 years, that you now want to destroy the latest return to form?

A much more elegant solution would be to simply tie in Stances with Taunts. Whenever you taunt someone, you switch stance. That way the cool aesthetic is kept and the marginalized hardcore leet lamers can use it in gameplay.

The taunt thing is a brilliant idea. Love it. And I definitely agree that everyone is trying to hard to turn fighting games into overcomplicated messes that no one wants to touch. I've always loved mk for the simplicity. Though, I do love Tekken. And I guess that's pretty complicated or something.

I think the question should be "What is the problem with having a Stance button?". It's not like there's anything else the button could be used for. Its main function is to trigger the Xray with R2, I just see the stance as a nice bonus. Why not?