What is the purpose of the "Stance" button?

Srsly. Folks getting bent out of shape over alternative options, and things with purely aesthetic functions: I don't get it.

Wow, dude. You "Srsly" need to chill out. No one's geting "bent outta shape here". It's just pointless to designate a button for something that has absolutely no gameplay function. They could have easily just said Square plus X flips stance and saved L2 for something else.

I'm not saying necessarily the STANCE CHANGE could create new combos just saying the L2 button could be used for something more.....useful. The team could get creative and think of ways to add to depth to the gameplay with that button in the future. And I think they should. I said the game needed taunts 4 days ago when the demo was first release so your "brilliant" idea is also a late one I've already made a thread about. Way to go. And you're and absolute moron if you think adding depth and diversity to gameplay (of ANY genre, of ANY kind) is "killing gaming".

That's actually the stupidest shit I've heard said in loooong time.

Here, I poured you a glass of water to take that chill pill.

*Reaches out glass*

Wow, I think you're the one who needs to chill out. Already resorting to calling people morons?
And how are taunts any more useful than stance switching? They're both just there for appeal.
Using that button to add another gameplay mechanic would be overkill IMO. The devs must have thought so too.

Wow, I think you're the one who needs to chill out. Already resorting to calling people morons?
And how are taunts any more useful than stance switching? They're both just there for appeal.
Using that button to add another gameplay mechanic would be overkill IMO. The devs must have thought so too.

Some major reading comprehension problems here in this thread.

Where did I say "taunts would add depth"? lol

I NEVER said that once. I said I made a thread saying taunts should be in the game TUESDAY. Has NOTHING to do with THIS thread. This thread is about the L2 button and how it could be made useful to gameplay. And I'm sorry, I call a spade a spade, if you "srsly" think adding depth to gameplay is "killing gaming" then you're pretty damn stupid. And that's just all I have to say about that.

And overkill eh? You mean like Focus Attacks were overkill in Street Fighter? lol

Adding that move almost single handedly turned Street Fighter IV into the deepest fighting game ever. There's MYRIADS of gameplay functions for that move. For beginner and pro players.

And for the record (AGAIN), I'm IN LOVE with the MK demo (I wrote a four page review of the demo shortly after release that I posted right HERE on this site, saying I think it has a great chance of dethroning Street Fighter and calling it brilliant), I have ALWAYS been a huge Mortal Kombat fan. I want it to be the best game possible. And I want it to be layers to kombat to turn matches into "chess games" for serious players along with all the bad assery.

Last edited:
The irony of telling people to chill out while spamming caps lock.
As for comprehension skills, do you even know who you're replying to?
Because you're calling me stupid for something I didn't even say.

Why you have a bone to pick with something so trivial is beyond me.
I will add, I think there is just the right amount of depth now to appeal to both casual and competitive players. They don't need to, nor should they, add yet another element.

Last edited:
The irony of telling people to chill out while spamming caps lock.
As for comprehension skills, do you even know who you're replying to?
Because you're calling me stupid for something I didn't even say.

Holy shit lololol you "srsly" just confirmed a lack of comp. Dude, that "if you" was generic it wasn't designated towards YOU (jarvis653, I have no problem whatsoever with you. Completely the opposite actually). I was saying generally speaking, if YOU (SOMEONE) thinks that then they are stupid.

And I'm adding caps because Im trying to help you understand something that should be pretty self explanatory. Not because I'm in any way mad. Because I am certainly not. I mean, not AT ALL (see what I did there).

You both need to calm down. It is a button ... in a GAME.

I personally think that while it is useless, I cant see them getting a useful function for it. It is doesn't hurt , even though I think the animation for the stance switching is the weakest one in the game so far.

And I'm sorry, I call a spade a spade, if you "srsly" think adding depth to gameplay is "killing gaming" then you're pretty damn stupid. And that's just all I have to say about that.

Is that why you were quoting me? My comprehension skills are just fine.
I don't know why you'd try to cover up an honest mistake, but suit yourself.

I stand by my opinion that there's no problem having an optional stance function for a button that's otherwise useless (aside from Xray). The current level of depth in the gameplay is the right amount to cater for all kinds of players.
I don't have anything else to say on the topic.

Is that why you were quoting me? My comprehension skills are just fine.
I don't know why you'd try to cover up an honest mistake, but suit yourself.

I stand by my opinion that there's no problem having an optional stance function for a button that's otherwise useless (aside from Xray). The current level of depth in the gameplay is the right amount to cater for all kinds of players.

Wow...you're something else pal.

No "honest mistake here". I QUOTED you because you directed your statement towards me and I answered said statement. You said I was "mad" for calling some a moron who said adding depth to games are killing them.

That's why I included the generic YOU in that statement. To illustrate that ANYONE who thinks that is a moron.

The fact that you "srsly" think that I meant YOU (literally) in that statement is utterly baffling.

Wow...you're something else pal.

No "honest mistake here". I QUOTED you because you directed your statement towards me and I answered said statement. You said I was "mad" for calling some a moron who said adding depth to games are killing them.

That's why I included the generic YOU in that statement. To illustrate that ANYONE who thinks that is a moron.

The fact that you "srsly" think that I meant YOU (literally) in that statement is utterly baffling.

There's no point in me arguing with you, I believe anyone reading would have the same impression I did.

Anyway, I never called you "mad" for disagreeing with that particular opinion (what's with quoting me for things I haven't said?). I was simply addressing your hostility. Anyone who's disrespectful around here deserves to get told off.

This is the last reply I'm giving you in this thread.

I'm 110% with jarvis here, Gamer you're taking this way too seriously. And don't bother using my post as an excuse to continue your immature ranting, because I'm not going to bother re-checking this post.

There's no point in me arguing with you, I believe anyone reading would have the same impression I did.

Anyway, I never called you "mad" for disagreeing with that particular opinion (what's with quoting me for things I haven't said?). I was simply addressing your hostility. Anyone who's disrespectful around here deserves to get told off.

This is the last reply I'm giving you in this thread.

Good. Cause you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. "Being disrespecful"? lol

Please. The said I was getting "bent outta shape" when I was clearly making a gameplay suggestion to you know BETTER Mortal Kombat. The game we all love.

Sheesh. Talk about hypocritical. If anyone takes the impression you took with what I said then they should take another reading comp class or something. HOSTILITY? lololololol

Wow. Negative. I'm not even mildly bothered. Much less "hostile". Jesus dude.

Take care now. Buhbye then.

Last edited:
Guys... let him talk his shit. He's a newbie.. obviously didn't read the rules... The track he's going down he's gonna end up getting reported so much he gets band. Since I've been here, I've seen his type before, and they got banned.

Well since this is a demo we are talking about. They could make a few separate combos built in to the other stance.

Combo Example
Punch.....Pop Up......Switch Stance......Kick......Special Move

I can totally see this shit fecking up combos if it's accidentally pressed, so aside from making silly mistakes, that shit seems useless.

Well since this is a demo we are talking about. They could make a few separate combos built in to the other stance.

Combo Example

They don't, tho. The layout is front and back attacks and the fighters don't seem to be left or right handed, so the range for a front attack is the same, regardless of which way they're facing.

I dont really mind it because it doesnt really get in the way of playing during a match, but however I dont see the point of it, so yeah I would have to agree with whoever early said that it was for getting to better acknowledge the 3D character model.

This is my ONLY minor complaint with an otherwise "flawless" (pun-intended) sneak peak into what's sure to be the most talked about, played, analyzed, bad ass video game in years. But seriously, what is the gameplay purpose of fighting stances. And or changing them? I honestly want to know why that was implemented. I honestly think they should have unleashed a different set of combos depending on stance or something if they were to include them.

Right now, it only allows me to see Mileena's ass when I want and to hide the fact that Scorpions chest is wide open and bloodsoaked. Dare I say it, I would rather them put the dreaded run button in. At least it would effect the depth of gameplay. I am hoping something is implemented in the final build to make stances useful.

If anyone knows how so, please tell me.

Thanks.

1. Just so you can pick how your character stands based on your preference
2. So you get the chance to see the entire character model
3. They had nothing else to map to L2

:-D

1. Just so you can pick how your character stands based on your preference
2. So you get the chance to see the entire character model
3. They had nothing else to map to L2

:-D

LOL...yeah, I figured that much on my own. I seriously think they should consider making it something more useful in in MK2 (aka MK10). It can only add to the depth and add to the awesomeness.

Combo Example

Finally...someone who UNDERSTANDS what I'm talking about here.

Something like that is exactly what I mean man.

Something that gives the button a gameplay purpose of any kind.

Thanks for the contribution.

Wow, dude. You "Srsly" need to chill out. No one's geting "bent outta shape here". It's just pointless to designate a button for something that has absolutely no gameplay function. They could have easily just said Square plus X flips stance and saved L2 for something else.

I'm not saying necessarily the STANCE CHANGE could create new combos just saying the L2 button could be used for something more.....useful. The team could get creative and think of ways to add to depth to the gameplay with that button in the future. And I think they should. I said the game needed taunts 4 days ago when the demo was first release so your "brilliant" idea is also a late one I've already made a thread about. Way to go. And you're and absolute moron if you think adding depth and diversity to gameplay (of ANY genre, of ANY kind) is "killing gaming".

That's actually the stupidest shit I've heard said in loooong time.

Here, I poured you a glass of water to take that chill pill.

*Reaches out glass*

Uh, I was pretty chill when i said that. If you look back, I was agreeing with somebody who was agreeing with me. I wasn't jumpin' up and down about it.

I just like having a little button I can press to make my dude turn around. If the button didn't do that, it'd do nothing, then neither of us would even know what we were missing.

I actually just took a chill pill even. If you could hear me, you'd hear the calm, almost soothing timber of my voice, arms open as if in a Christ-like manner saying, 'come, press the button with me.' You ask 'What does it do?' And I respond, while pouring you a cool, refreshing glass of spring water "Do, my son? It does not do, it just is."

I hope you don't mind, I'm keeping your chill pill. I could use it later on a different thread, as I'm known to rage from time to time. I just, y'know, wasn't raging at you. I'm still not.

PS. What was my brilliant idea? I don't think I said anything about taunts.

These were my only posts on this thread:

If there's no use for it, you probably don't have to press it, right?

Srsly. Folks getting bent out of shape over alternative options, and things with purely aesthetic functions: I don't get it.

Last edited:
@mcgriffin LOL nice post. I think you should change your avatar to Jesus :)

And yeah, I had noticed you never actually said those things Gamer was arguing, just as I never said them. I have no idea who he was actually quoting on here.