Forum Idea: The Character Rumbles (vs.) Section

Do you like this idea? Place your vote and tell us why:

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

El Chupacabra

I originally posted this thread way back in October of last year. The recent Marvel vs. DC thread really got me thinking about it (as that turned into an interesting thread) so I did a forum search and came up with my old post. I have listed the basic ideas and added a few points.

I encourage all forum posters, moderators, and administrators to read this idea and post what you think. I think this forum could use a boost in posting and this type of thing can only help. It's extremely fun, entertaining, and as long as people do so intelligently, interesting.

Here is my original post from way back in October:

One site I post on, a very large one (11,000+ members), has a special forum section called the "Character Rumble" section. The point of the section is to allow people to post character vs. character fights and debate them. It's the most popular section on the entire forum with 18,000+ threads and 340,000+ posts. I am pointing out numbers to show how much interest there is on the topic and that it creates a lot of discussion and posting. The amount of topics you could come up with are endless and it's really fun to discuss who would win against who in a fight.

For those who want more of an example: People post a topic about who would win in a fight and then people debate on who would win and why. Threads tend to look like this:

Sub-Zero vs. Scorpion
Ryu vs. Goku
Cloud (FF7) vs. Spider-man
Young Ric Flair vs. Old Ric Flair
a lion vs. a bear

Stuff like that. I'm not one to usually bring things like this up but I think it's a really fun thing to have on message forums as it promotes interesting debates and funny topics. It also helps cut down on threads in General Chat or MK:D General such as Johnny Cage vs. So and so. This way there is a specific folder for it so that people can talk about which MK fighter is better as well as characters from movies, comics, TV or anything else their imagination can come up with.

Just a suggestion. Post what you all think.

---(ADDED INFO)---

The list of rules would look simliar to this:

Questions Overview

1) No Polls
--> Polls tend to limit debate and quality of a post. People who take no part in the thread can jump in, cast their vote on who they like more, and not even participate in the debate. Polls also tend to show bias as they promote popularity. In some cases, people may just vote on who is more popular rather than who would win a fight just because they like one character over the other.

2) How to Debate
--> Use facts, sources, and supporting information. The more evidence you can get behind your argument than the more valid your points become. Saying something like "Batista could beat up Bugs Bunny because he is cooler" is a good way not to debate. Add content to your post. Be intelligent with your post.

Rules/Setting

The original poster of the versus fight should lay down the ground rules for the fight itself. If they do not then the default rules are used.

01. Prep Time: Neither side receives any notable prep time before the starting bell. Neither side may take any offensive or defensive actions before the starting bell. Planning is allowed and powers that are automatic or 'always on' can be up, but actions such as setting up forcefields, taking flight, or consciously activating powers is not. For example, Batman cannot shove together an 'anti-Superman ray' before the fight. If you want prep time to be active before the fight, say so.

02. Standard Equipment: Each side starts out with the equipment that they normally and have been shown to consistently carry on them. For example, Darth Vader would have his light saber (regularly carries this item) but Spawn would not carry uzis and gattling guns (as he does not regularly carry these items). If you want non-regular items to be included, state so before the fight.

03. Basic knowledge: Each side receives basic knowledge of the other. A good measure of this would be what the general population of the character's homeworld knows. For example, that Superman has a weakness to Kryptonite is general knowledge, but that he's Clark Kent is not.

04. Bloodlust: It is assumed that each contestant in the arena will fight to his/her best ability. That means they will use any powers at their disposal. For example, even though The Flash doesn't clock each of his own opponents in the first picosecond in his own comic, it is assumed that is a viable tactic since it is a proven fact that he possesses that level of speed.
It is also assumed that the characters fight at their optimum levels of ability - not explicitly weakened or unusually powered up for those who have variable power levels.

05. Setting: The default battle area is the <Name to be Determined>, a colossal arena that looks somewhat like a Roman Amphitheatre. It is typically a 250 feet by 200 feet ellipse, though the size is adjustable in accordance to the size of the contestants; the opposing sides start out about 100 feet from one another. The arena itself is completely indestructable. The audience are protected from stray energy blasts/debis/body parts by a godly powered forcefield. The ground of the arena itself does not have this protection, nor is the skydome covered by it. Somewhere in the arena is located a commentators box (location seems to vary).

If you would like a fight to take place elsewhere, that's acceptable. For example: If you want a fight to take place in space, in a forest, in a certain MK arena, or in Bob Vila's do-it-himself home, please state so before the fight.

06. No outside help: Unless specified otherwise, no contestant may call for outside assistance, even in scenario matches. For example, Ginyu cannot call on the Ginyu Force for outside assistance unless otherwise stated by the thread creator.

These are some good ground rules to build on. Let me know what you all think and if any administrators want to make this idea come to life on the TRMK forums then please PM me. I can give you further details and link you to example websites. Thanks everyone for the time and feel free to post your ideas and opinions.