Mortal Kombat 9 Demo Review - From a different point of view

Did he actually diss MK because the throw button was different than SF? He does have a few good points. The fact that within 24 hours people are already doing 60% combos is scary.

Last edited:
Did he actually diss MK because the throw button was different than SF? He does have a few good points. The fact that within 24 hours people are already doing 60% combos is scary.

Exactly. They need to tone down some of the damage. Which they probably already did considering this is a 2 month old demo.

He needs to stop ranting, but good video otherwise. But the main purpose of an Xray is to try to make a comeback. Which is why your bar raises faster when you are losing.

He needs to stop ranting, but good video otherwise. But the main purpose of an Xray is to try to make a comeback. Which is why your bar raises faster when you are losing.

You should still build meter for a successful attack. Or at least be able to build up to two bars that way.

The trade off pretty much comes down to;

Taking full damage builds more meter
Blocking damage while taking some chip damage builds the aggressors meter.
Landing specials builds meter

After thinking about it for a while it seems to be a good fit, meter built from opening specials instead of individual hits that will obviously be used alot more because of combos. Being aggressive is still rewarded if the opposition decides to block as you can build meter+chip dmg off blocks.

Again who knows if they've reworked it and fiddled with it since whatever build is in the demo.

Last edited:
I have been down for MK since day one and i must say it is nice to here a SF point of view, I would actually like to hear some more of the top tier SF tournament players and get input, I don't care if it is good or bad, as long as there playing that shit. About the combos and other quirks of the game this MK demo is like *8+weeks old so I am sure shit we be dialed in and fine tuned and all polished for us, when we get are grubby little hands on it>>>

The trade off pretty much comes down to;

Taking full damage builds more meter
Blocking damage while taking some chip damage builds the aggressors meter.
Landing specials builds meter

After thinking about it for a while it seems to be a good fit, meter built from opening specials instead of individual hits that will obviously be used alot more because of combos.

Again who knows if they've reworked it and fiddled with it since whatever build is in the demo.

That's exactly I'm not really sweating any of the damage/meter stuff. The game is going to be balanced enough for EVO which is IMO a big deal.

Yeah he did raise some points that are indeed "Interesting", Yeah I'm not really digging that within 24 Hours people are pulling off 65% Hit Combos, the Super Meter just sounds a bit silly ( I'd love to see a seperate meter for Combo Breakers, charge with the amount of blocks used ) and I don't like the idea of pressing a button to turn around ( It'd suck so much in tight occurences ).

But then again, the reviewer needs to understand that Street Fighter isn't the whole damn Fighting Genre, sure It's successful, but It wouldn't really be fresh if all 2D Fighters just decided to use a Street Fighter styled structure.

Yeesh, around the 10:40 mark, he basically goes "You MK fans should learn how to try to persuade players like me to play your very flawed game!" He really does sound full of himself...

And even though the reviewer seems to be a bit too accustomed to SF, he does make two good points with the special bar. It really doesn't make any sense that you get next to nothing for attacking while the person getting hit gains a ton on the special bar very quickly. It should be something like the attacker gets half to 2/3 of the bar increase that the defender gets. And his comment about the combo breakers is what I've been thinking ever since they debuted the special bar. You know that people online will be trying to get you into combos like crazy, so I think NRS should switch the combo breaker with the enhanced move, making the combo breaker a level one. That way, you won't have people trying to do nothing but combos on you and it'll force them to beat you another way.

Last edited:

Not really since most of them rely on the X-rays which are 30%+. With the backdoor updating, they can also adjust the damage if one character starts being extremely unbalance.

One thing needs to go for sure though, and that's the first hit in a match gains 1 bar. There is nothing competitive about that really.

lol, like mk hasn't been out for 20 plus years. maybe this is how i sound when i talk about bad company gosh, i hope not. but, seriously, does anyone care if anyone plays it at evo. yeah, it would be nice. i think most of us are just happy mk is back.

Not really since most of them rely on the X-rays which are 30%+. With the backdoor updating, they can also adjust the damage if one character starts being extremely unbalance.

There are a few combos that require no meter and do almost 50%.

The demo that is given to us is from a couple of months ago when it comes down to how they balanced out the characters. Also, NRS said that they could fix infinites, bugs, and combo scaling through updates on the fly if something is unbalanced. So I wouldn't worry about the damage thing too too much.

As arrogant as some of you guys may think this guy sounds he has the same perspective as most tournament SF, Tekken, ect players. They want MK to be good. He is dissecting the game and using his fighting game experience to give himself an idea of what the developers were thinking when making the fighting engine. People shouldn't bash him for comparing. As a tourny Tekken player for a few years I see myself compare it to Tekken alot more than the SF players compare it to Street Fighter.

Even with all that said there is a few things that this guy isn't aware of.

If you do frame advantage(on block) testing, I think you get a clear picture of why some things are the way they are. JC's normal jab and a couple of his enders in his "target combos" leave him still at the advantage on block. Also, there is a ton of +frames given from getting hit by some target combos. He said its best thing to do is to attach a special(low or OverHead) to the ends of combos but frankly with the amount of +frames given to you if you hit, you could setup for practically anything. Frame wise it feels like Tekken ALOT, I can't stress that enough.

You could hit confirm a target combo as JC and attach a Nut Punch to the end of it for a combo. The Nut Punch gives so many +frames on hit that its actually borderline ridiculous. Its clear they wanted to make him a character that stays on opponents the whole game. Also, if your opponent is in his initial frames of hit stun you can't grab them(which in this system actually makes sense). After some tourny players dissect the frames in this game I think we'll have a lot more confidence in its engine.

lol, like mk hasn't been out for 20 plus years. maybe this is how i sound when i talk about bad company gosh, i hope not. but, seriously, does anyone care if anyone plays it at evo. yeah, it would be nice. i think most of us are just happy mk is back.

Yea most people on this forum are just happy that MK is back, but if this game isn't taken seriously competitively a ton of people including myself are going to stop playing it altogether. That's not going to be the case though from what it seems because this game engine surprises and impress me the more I play it. The demo hasn't even been out a week yet, but I know in time that we'll see what this game is capable of and be very very happy.

Last edited:
As arrogant as some of you guys may think this guy sounds he has the same perspective as most tournament SF, Tekken, ect players. They want MK to be good. He is dissecting the game and using his fighting game experience to give himself an idea of what the developers were thinking when making the fighting engine. People shouldn't bash him for comparing. As a tourny Tekken player for a few years I see myself compare it to Tekken alot more than the SF players compare it to Street Fighter.

^^ This, I found his point of view interesting since he's new to the game.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about with the meter, I think it's great that there is a backup for people like that that are going to get their asses kicked online.. I may even have a chance to come back.