Mortal Kombat 9 Demo Review - From a different point of view

And even though the reviewer seems to be a bit too accustomed to SF, he does make two good points with the special bar. It really doesn't make any sense that you get next to nothing for attacking while the person getting hit gains a ton on the special bar very quickly.

Just like the Street Fighter IV series with it's Ultra Specials, OH WHAT?

But isn't the demo a build from last years E3? I think we'll be getting a different game with the final version, NRS did gain the right to have their game at Evo after E3 last year. But If it's not the case then I'm looking forward to NRS tweaking it out, there's some department's in games where It just can't all be perfect ( With the exception of a very small list of games ) and NRS has really pulled this system out from scratch and from what people are saying on how they're impressed with the demo, then that's a pretty good achievement if you ask me.

If the guys on the case of comparing it to Street Fighter... SFII took many versions to get it right in the end and since then they've been tweaking and stacking new features to the system. Mortal Kombat's always had constant system changes throughout the whole series, which I enjoyed, out of all the series ( regardless of if they're hits or misses ) you have to somewhat give NRS credit for not staying on something safe and trying new and different things for the series.

It's a tough situation in a way for NRS, they're having to cater to the Western Audience ( Who are generally more casual players who love the idea of simple pick up and play with easy reward ) along with appealing to the Eastern/Tourney players. But I mean, If NRS can truly cater for both audiences then It'll be a masterpiece.

This guy DID NOT bash the game. He actually said that it looks promising and he enjoyed the demo. He just gave a very objective review based on what HE knows as a tournament level street fighter player which is good. I mean what else does he have to compare it to. AND HE SAID HE LIKES THE GAME. Now that's a big compliment coming from a tourney streetfighter player.

I thought he contradicted himself by saying that the combo breaker was useless cause it took 2 meter bars... he said you should just save it for an X-ray. Then he went on to say how the game had these crazy 40-60% damage combos that really good players have figured out. Seems like the combo breaker is quite usefull if you are a good player and can quickly recognize that a severe beatdown combo just got started on you.

But whatever, the guy is obviously a serious fighting fan cause he was speaking a different language for the most part. I could surely destroy him in Black Ops, but I might only get 2 hits on him before he'd destroy me in a fighter. I don't think MK has to appeal to guys like him to be successful... MK has a MUCH larger casual following than SF does today because MK has always been more accessable. I really like the demo as a casual fighting fan. I will never be a top tier player, but even I have been able to figure out a few really cool combos. I think NRS has hit a good balance for their fan base and they will most likely sell more copies than SFIV and MvC in the U.S. We'll see in about a month I guess.

I thought he contradicted himself by saying that the combo breaker was useless cause it took 2 meter bars... he said you should just save it for an X-ray. Then he went on to say how the game had these crazy 40-60% damage combos that really good players have figured out. Seems like the combo breaker is quite usefull if you are a good player and can quickly recognize that a severe beatdown combo just got started on you.

But whatever, the guy is obviously a serious fighting fan cause he was speaking a different language for the most part. I could surely destroy him in Black Ops, but I might only get 2 hits on him before he'd destroy me in a fighter. I don't think MK has to appeal to guys like him to be successful... MK has a MUCH larger casual following than SF does today because MK has always been more accessable. I really like the demo as a casual fighting fan. I will never be a top tier player, but even I have been able to figure out a few really cool combos. I think NRS has hit a good balance for their fan base and they will most likely sell more copies than SFIV and MvC in the U.S. We'll see in about a month I guess.

Breakers also take meter away from enhanced moves. Also I'm not sure about all that MK has a bigger casual following than SF or that it will out sell SF stuff.

it irritates me how many people are jumping onto the MK bandwagon like this guy. He said so himself "new to MK, but a 'veteran' of competitive fighting games". they turned their back on the series when it "went downhill" and now all of a sudden that they see MK9 is coming back AWESOME they return and act like "yeah, ive always thought MK was the s hit! MK for life!!". HYPOCRITES >=( go back to your silly SF!!

Ok, im done ranting :p

I just want to say I appreciate his criticisms, he has to remember that this is not Street Fighter, and I know hes just trying to give some constructive input as how to make this game tournament worthy. You have to remember that SF is Japanese and Mortal Kombat is American so they both have different philosophies on what should and what shouldn't reward the fighters for different moves. Ed Boon does not want to make this exactly like SF, but he did admit SF was an inspiration

i agree with someone who posted on youtube. mk9 is just 3d mk with 3d hitboxes, restricted to 2.5d. it's not a real 2d game. kinda feels like they're straddling the fence, so they can switch between 2d and 3d easily if they need to. what i mean is, it seems like NRS is like, well, let's not throw out all the 3d, cuz if 2d doesn't work, we're going right back to 3d. i'm convinced that this game will be more like an mvc game than an mk game. sad time again, because this is going to be MK:Training wheel edition, so new players don't get totally destroyed online. the same way sfIV put the training wheels on. you should not have a chance to win a game if you have 20% life and i have 70% life.

I don't understand, how is this MK 3D restrcited to 2.5D? It looks 2D enough to me. Can you elaborate more on that? And how is it looking more like MvC than MK? No way, this game looks nothing like MvC.

it irritates me how many people are jumping onto the MK bandwagon like this guy. He said so himself "new to MK, but a 'veteran' of competitive fighting games".

Yeah, it's a damn shame that the series is getting attention from the fighting game community after being a joke for so many years </sarcasm> It's called constructive criticism, and people should be more open to it here.

Aris is fairly direct, and he hasn't been shy to criticize his own game (Tekken). He's flat out called the home versions shit before and his feedback, and the overall community's was noted by Harada & co.

". they turned their back on the series when it "went downhill" and now all of a sudden that they see MK9 is coming back AWESOME they return and act like "yeah, ive always thought MK was the s hit! MK for life!!". HYPOCRITES >=( go back to your silly SF!!

Ok, im done ranting :p

Ughh I agree with you. Two face people these days.

Yeah, it's a damn shame that the series is getting attention from the fighting game community after being a joke for so many years.

Im sorry but I dont understand this statement, why would you not want this game to receive the attention it deserves? More attention equals more funding for NRS which in turn will create more downloads and future production.

Street Fighter is Street Fighter. Mortal Kombat is Mortal Kombat. Please don't compare the two. Adapt, if he is a veteran gamer like he says he is.

Im sorry but I dont understand this statement, why would you not want this game to receive the attention it deserves? More attention equals more funding for NRS which in turn will create more downloads and future production.

You missed the sarcasm. Anyone who truly cares about the game wants it to be noticed and also picked up by other players.

Street Fighter is Street Fighter. Mortal Kombat is Mortal Kombat. Please don't compare the two. Adapt, if he is a veteran gamer like he says he is.

He hardly compares the two. His only to references to SF are regarding meter building and usage and even then he tried generalizing it. Then goes on for discussions sake saying that MK players and or fans shouldn't get upset when the game is compared to any other games on the sole aspect of finding a baseline for comparison, it has to happen for a discussion/topic of this nature. He's trying understand certain mechanics that the game chooses to implement compared to other fight games.

I thought his video was very blunt/straight forward and intellectual compared to most garbage posted these days.

Yeah, this review is great. This is exactly the kind of feedback we need if we ever want MK to take the next step. Aris raises many great points that need to be addressed.

Aris knows his shit. I really dislike Tekken, yet I'll watch T6 streams from time to time just because of him... funny dude.

The haters are underaged kids who only care about fatalities.

Love the game but he is right about the meter build up. It makes not sense. Especially when a lot of the good combos revolve around the meter. Hopefully the team fix's this before the release. You do get a small amount for special moves though but that is it. It really does feel backwards. I let my opponent hit me just to build it up. LoL

The haters are underaged kids who only care about fatalities.

At the same time though with that comment, the Western Audience ( Mainly MK's target group ) aren't the ones to take it that seriously, MKvsDC wasn't really the most "serious" Fighter, but It went on to have successful sales compared to the other more "Serious" titles.

No ones really going to bring up the Fighting system in a discussion about MK, generally people are just going to say " That game where you can rip someones head off at the end of the fight yeah? ", MK's got a well known reputation for it and alot of gamers ( and the casual gamers ) are only really going to be looking forward to that aspect moreso than anything else.