Mortal Kombat Demo Impressions (PS3) - Capcom has serious competition on their hands!

First things first, the game is AWESOME. The feeling of ABSOLUTE NOSTALGIA you will get right after the announcer says fight is worthy of the 60 dollar price tag alone. This is MORTAL KOMBAT 2 ON STEROIDS my friend. The graphics are INSANE. I love that they went the realistic route instead of cartoonish it makes the game that much more brutal and graphic in nature. I love it. I love it. I love it. The stages are gorgeous. I can't wait to see the others live. The SOUND? OMG THE SOUND!!!! The team at NetherRealm Studios should win an ACADEMY AWARD FOR BEST SOUND EFFECTS EDITING for their work here. IT IS STUNNING. If it doesn't get perfect scores on sound from everyone it's a absolute travesty.

The characterizations of each character were pretty damn remarkable. They all really feel different to use. Their speeds, punches and kicking techniques really are different. You're gonna love it. Fatalities are easy and responsive and awesome. XRays as well. Though XRays are easy to DO, I can promise they wont be as easy to LAND. Because the game is so fast that you really have to be smart in setting up an opponent to do and XRay because if you do it and miss you're gonna feel like shit.

The game is easy to pick up and have fun. But it is the DEEPEST Mortal Kombat I ever played. I can honestly see it being tournament ready. The is not easy to pick up and master. First you have to get a feel for it. And then you have to remember combos and what works best to start them. It really feels like a cross between MK2, Tekken, and Street Fighter. It has a lot of potential. Can't wait to dig deeper into it.

CHARACTER GRADES:

SCORPION: A+

(Scorpion is instantly nostalgic, he feels EXACLY like Scorpion from MK2 and his additional moves only make him that much tougher to handle). His takedown is a great combo ender because it knocks the opponent down and you can do a wake up follow up. I've found 3 that are REALLY effective. His spear is great and the recover time on block is really, really good. because it seems you have frame advantage. But if you miss completely expect major punishment. His hellfire is a great move but use sparingly because its the most punishable move he has. His fatality is indeed awesome and he's gonna be one of the favorites. PS. If you thought his costume was a bit 'much', I assure you, wait to you see it live. Scorpion's outfit is badass and WAAAAY better than his old one.

MILEENA: A

Shockingly, Mileena is one of the most incredibly fun characters to use. She is fast, funny, and explosively brutal. People are gonna love her. Her personality alone is brilliant. I love after her Enhanced Dash Bite she says "Mmmm, Tasty!"...lol So awesome. She too feels EXACTLY like her Mortal Kombat 2 rendition but her personality is what makes her so damn fun to use. I haven't gotten deep in gameplay with her. But I can assure you, you're not gonna be able to resist Mileena's charm. Her new Xray is INSANE. The stabs to the stomach with her sai sound incredibly visceral. She's the most graphic character in the demo. After she wins she jumps toward the screen bloody mouth and all and her tits bounce up and down like ping pong balls (REALISTICALLY). Can't wait to see the other female characters (hehehehe).

JOHNNY CAGE: A-

Wow. Johnny Cage has come a long way. This guy is going to be a beast I believe. His kick combos are SICK. The set ups are easy and his shadow kick comes out so fast people are gonna be caught off guard by it. He is surprisingly going to be not only used a lot (he is popular but just wasn't always that good) but now he's GOOD. He has a lot of juggle potential but the damage scaling is great so is pretty good balance. You definitely need to be rushing down. Because you want be spaming hi/low fireballs in this game. They are smaller balls and easy to avoid. So you'll need to be in close to be effective. But man, oh man when you do. Look out! He too has his ****y personality and it's funny. Because it thinks he's LIu Kang and he's not...lol I love his in between rounds chants "Come one....(walks like "is that all you got")". And I love the way he says "JOOOOHHHNY CAGE!!!" when he does his enhanced uppercut. Awesome.

Sub-Zero: A- (But after I play with him longer gonna be an A+)

I think Sub-Zero defines how hard NetherRealm worked to make the game balanced. Because when you initially start playing with him he feels off. He's slower than older versions, his ground ball takes longer to come out, his ice ball is small. BUT, once you get the rhythm of him. He is probably the BEST CHARACTER in the game. His combos are MASSIVE. Think of this...he can freeze you and pull of an XRay freely. They had to make him slower and harder to use. Because people would just spam him and exploit him. Sub Zero will frustrate you at first but then you will realize the team at NetherRealm studios are seriously tyring to make a DEEP, WELL BALANCED game. After playing wit Sub some more I can see that when you DO actually learn him HE WILL BE AN ANIMAL. Sub fans don't get disappointed. GET EXCITED!!!

All in all the game is remarkably impressive. It's the most graphically detailed fighting game ever made. The stages are beautiful. The characters are ALIVE and UNIQUE to themselves. And the fighting engine IS DEEP. And has INCREDIBLE POTENTIAL.

Get ready, Mortal Kombat is KOMING! And it's looking ready to challenge Super Street Fighter IV for best fighter ever.

Last edited:
Dude..if you're a Mileena fan: You are about to be in HEAVEN.

She's easily gonna be one of the fun-ness characters to use because of her personality and speed.

Well stayed up till 3am playing this game, and wow I am soo very happy with this game.

So much quality, and attention to detail.

You can remap every button on the controller !

Mileena is awesome !

You can set timer to infinity.

the moves feel great.

Scorpion is awesome !

I can't get the Forest stage fatality to work.

All moves and combos are listed in pause screen.

Sub Zero is awesome !

Title screen shows awesome xray scene.

Johnny Cage is a dork, but still awesome.

It was a such a fun time playing this demo with my friends tonight, and with only 4 kombatants and 2 stages.
NRS did such a great job ! Thank you.

Scorpion is my fav character to play with so far. Sub-Zero seems slower for some reason, must be just me. I can't get used to Mileena, not sure why and haven't played with Cage yet. Gotta leave something for day 2 haha. The demo is pretty easy even for me, a guy who hasn't touched a MK game since UMK3 and hasn't played a fighting game on the PS3 ever. Love the demo, can't wait for the full game to be released.

No kidding Capcom has competition, especially since MVC 3 was a giant turd sandwich and MK is looking better and better each day.

Capcom has got competition!? Are you kidding? Capcom is so far behind Mortal Kombat you can't even see. MvC3 is nothing compared to MK9.

I've loved Mortal Kombat since the first entry. Mortal Kombat 2 is one of my favorite fighting games of ALL TIME. Mortal Kombat has ALWAYS been a superior fighting game in terms of Story (one of the greatest stories in all of gaming) and Presentation (so cinematic and visceral) but the statement "Capcom is so far Behind MK" is just not true. Super Street Fighter IV is the deepest fighting game I've ever played. Will take years to effectively master. Mortal Kombat is not that deep yet (so far). But if they continue to build upon what they've established with this incredible entry they can get there. Capcom has SERIOUS COMP RIGHT NOW because Mortal Kombat was ALWAYS a better game in terms of story and presentation. What Street Fighter and Capcom games always had over Mortal Kombat in spades is the fighting engine. If MK narrows that cap and multiplies their lead in story and presentation x100 (WHICH THEY ARE CLEARLY DOING WITH THE STUNNINGLY REALISTIC GRAPHICAL DETAIL AND ALL THE GREAT MODES INCLUDING 15 HOUR STORY MODE) then it will be the fighting of choice by GAMERS. Period.