Scorp, Mil, JC, and Sub's Playstyles and Normal Move Properties

get it 100% now, and sounds awesome!, this also gets away from the typical block, counter, block, counter style of fighting that bores the pants off me in most fighting games and offers more 'chess like' fighting stratergy :)

do you know what other fighting games do this?,, just wondering when fighting games started doing this and what other games use this feature.

P.S best thread so far on TRMK! - im learning and everything!

Glad I helped =D

And Street Fighter has a little bit of it but barely. Tekken and Soul Calibur use frame advantage on block ALOT lol.

Ridiculous. This guy clearly doesn't play Tekken or VF to understand the kind of system they incorporated in MK9. Sure the dial-a-combos aren't purely for the purpose of juggling but you have to see that we don't know the exact frames on these moves yet. There might be some special properties in the second hit of a 3 hit string that we still haven't discovered. Shit... I found a couple of frame advantage moves already and I was playing for like 2 hours.

These dial-a-combos aren't just used for punishments when your opponent isn't seeing them coming. Alot of the properties I've listed in the OP clearly show that they could be used for high level mind games. In Tekken you could delay SOME moves as SOME characters, sure. But most characters relay heavily on the amount of + frames given on hit to guarantee setups. Tekken also has normal "dial-a-combo" strings that have only -1s on the second hit so you could trick your opponent by not finishing and go in for something else. Mortal Kombat isn't any different in this aspect except that there are less "dial-a-combos". Johnny's frame'tastic moves are a perfect example of this. Not only does he have frame advantage moves on block sprinkled everywhere but he has stuff like his Nut Punch that gives SOOOO many + frames on hit that the opponent is helpless(can't jump, or dash away) so Johnny is free to setup anything he wants to(unblockable, cross up, frame advantage move, grab, setup for a launch). His Nut Punch doesn't give you enough frame + on hit to land a free hit afterward but it gives you enough that you could use your imagination because they are forced to stay still for a while.

I know he isn't saying that the game isn't good. But saying "it's still NOWHERE near what other games are offering." is absolutely ridiculous. It is DEFINITELY not Street Fighter mechanics and DEFIIIIINITELY not MvC3 mechanics. This practically feels like what Tekken or VF would feel like if they were 2D with the same Mortal Kombat style and specials that we know so well. The on the ground combo system in this game is so abstract yet simple at the same time. Simple because it in essence is of course a "dial-a-combo" but abstract because of the properties that are meshed in that experienced players in time will abuse. Mix that in with the awesome launch and juggle system and we have a beautiful and unique game on our hands.

I'd straight up tell everyone if this game wasn't deep enough to hold attention in the tournament world. But this MK has actually brought something that people will notice when it is released and that is evident like crazy from this demo in my hands. All we could do is wait for the star players to shine, but I'm serious, this engine and combo system are FOR SUREEEEEEEEEEE on the same playing field as the top contending fighting games today.

EDIT: Jeez did I really type that much..... lol. Sorry about going into a frame tangent. Hope it gets across to some people who read it.

i know no1s asking me but i agree, MK to me has always had more enjoyable and more interesting, unique gameplay, although games have advanced a lot since the old Mks the new fighting games of today are more technical but still dont appeal to me for more than 5 minutes, tekken i find slow and boring, although its tactical its just no fun, your pretty much stuck to your side of the screen and its all hand to hand based, so you gotta get in close to do anything, street fighter was ok and had projectiles but they are pretty much all the same, not a fan of the button system, a lot of the moves are charged so your wasting time i much prefer instant moves coz thats what fightings about, soul calibour looked great but was too easy to win via mindless button bashing and again is all hand to hand , MVC3 is just to hyper and childish for me, its like lets see who can take the longest fit on each other, and you can spam out moves. , which leaves my to why i like MK a lot better over these other games,
MK has your characters constantly moving from one side to the other with crazy teleports, projectiles that dont just take energy off like most games but some can capture or stun your opponent so you can follow up, and original move sets including using fire,ice,lightning,nets, hats, bombs, even screaming, the fact some players can teleport makes it far more interesting as they bounce from side to side keeping you on your toes and alert, and now adding all the technical features of modern fighting games to all this like theyre doing with MK9 makes it THE ULTIMATE!

sure it still might not be as technical as tekken or whatever other fighting game, but just relying on the technical side alone is not enough, tekken and soul calibour are probably the most technical, but only when your close up, in MK you can be technical from a distance and be constantly thinking fast no matter where you are or end up, for example you could be on the other side of the screen and still be able to perform an instant attack, which is a great surprising element that you dont get in other games, with most other games being more realistic you would have to walk or run up to them or use a projectile, neither of which have a surprise element to keep the game in constant motion, MK boasts a far more creative and original experience, besides who wants to play a fighting game with realistic moves? MK just always seems to think outside the box and say a big screw you to reality, thats y i like it so much :)

just thought id throw that out there

Last edited:
Yes.
You can play single-player mode (vs CPU ladder), and 2-player (1-on-1, vs a friend locally).

yo subzeros xray can be held and released when wanted to, hold down L2+R2 and he sits there, then release when want to do xray

can start it if someone jumps and hit them as they land maybe? dunno but its sweet (works like abels breathless ultra) except you cant cancel it

oh and dcp i got a johnny cage combo for ya - except i cant video it - lol pretty damn sick though

forward x, x, back, down, square, back x, dash, square,square, dash, square, square, dash, circle, circle, down back x+r2

basically the same as DCP's just a little extra at the beginning

try that, see if you can get it to work, ive been trying it alot and the only thing is it looks like between [back down square and back x] it can be blocked :'( but cool none the less if you land the whole thing

forward x, x, back, down, square, back x, dash, square,square, dash, square, square, dash, circle, circle, down back x+r2

basically the same as DCP's just a little extra at the beginning

try that, see if you can get it to work, ive been trying it alot and the only thing is it looks like between [back down square and back x] it can be blocked :'( but cool none the less if you land the whole thing

Oh yeah I see what you mean, it can be blocked but it does look pretty cool

Oh yeah I see what you mean, it can be blocked but it does look pretty cool

yeah between the nut punch and launcher i think it can be blocked... trying to make sure im just not doing it to slow

Has anyone found an attack that you can use after the Nut Punch (either normal or enhanced) that is unblockable? I haven't found an attack yet that allows you to keep the combo going that's unblockable (technically a real combo).

Has anyone found an attack that you can use after the Nut Punch (either normal or enhanced) that is unblockable? I haven't found an attack yet that allows you to keep the combo going that's unblockable (technically a real combo).

thats what im working on now - havent found anyhitn yet

Bah!! Jump in combos are still pissing me off. I can only do them like 10% of the time.

I need training mode.

Glad I helped =D

And Street Fighter has a little bit of it but barely. Tekken and Soul Calibur use frame advantage on block ALOT lol.

framedata1.JPG

Here's an example of Ryu.

Hey, what's the command for Mileena's Sai Stab in the back? And the one for the Sai Stab in the stomach? Also how do you perform the multiple stabs once the sai has been planted into the opponent?
Just curious!

Hey, what's the command for Mileena's Sai Stab in the back? And the one for the Sai Stab in the stomach? Also how do you perform the multiple stabs once the sai has been planted into the opponent?
Just curious!

I believe the sai stab in the back is back + triangle, and once the sai is there, when you do the leap-bite-move, instead of she biting them, she'll take the sai and stab multiple times. The chest sai stab I don't know.

Just curious!

I posted it in page 2 of this thread, but everyone in the threat skipped right over it. (post #39)
Should have said "Titties."

Anyways Mileena's Sai Back-stab is a 2-part move.
1) Press Back+Triangle for Mileena to jump with her Sai, and impale it on the victim.
2) Press Back, Forward+Triagle to do the neck chomp. Instead of doing the neck chomp, she will to the back-stab with the sai that you impaled in Step #1.

I believe the sai stab in the back is back + triangle, and once the sai is there, when you do the leap-bite-move, instead of she biting them, she'll take the sai and stab multiple times. The chest sai stab I don't know.

Did you actually try it?

EDIT: nevermind, thanx anyway! :)