Metal vs Nu metal

no. no they are not

I personally am not a fan of Necrophagist, and Behemoth is just "pop" black metal, I'd rather listen to Liturgy and hear them talk about transcendentalism for hours than listen to Behemoth

What is pop black metal? Behemoth have been blackened death for the majority of their career and they are damn good at. Having a following does not mean they are "pop". It's an oxymoron and anyway, who cares about the genre, couldn't you just say you dislike Behemoth?

Rain Rain Go Away! said:
Well i listen to White Metal :D
Seriously dude, white metal is black metal, there is 0 difference. You are REALLY shutting yourself off from some great music if you refuse to listen to any band than isn't so pious they feel insecure about their music preference enough to have to change the genre's name for their own purpose. I never got this whole deal, it really is the same thing, maybe "white metal" bands are just taking themselves too seriously.

I Never once said that I limit myself. I've heard those Christian metal bands. But without metal being about death, hate, or evil I lose interest. Just like I prefer punk rock about anarchy and rebellion... not girls and high school. I never limited myself.. most Christian metal is just garbage IMHO.

I was talking about OP when I referred to limited himself. And I know what you mean, most of the time I turn to metal to get out some rage or work out, and it's really good to listen to "evil omg" bands. I tried getting into Hatebreed in high school but it seems like their lyrics came straight from an 12-Step Program pamphlet. Sometimes it's just not the same. But there are some pretty cool bands that aren't over-the-top evil. IDK about their first album but Trivium was pretty dope in "Shogun".

well that wouldn't be fun would it?

I just don't like how they take the black metal tag and all that junk, the over the top paint and the names really should have stayed in the 90's

Pretty sure they lost the "tag" ages ago haha. The makeup is... odd but it fits into their performance I guess, the masks as well. Personally I think they are one of the few bands that get the look right. I'd never wear corpse paint myself though.

no. no they are not

I personally am not a fan of Necrophagist, and Behemoth is just "pop" black metal, I'd rather listen to Liturgy and hear them talk about transcendentalism for hours than listen to Behemoth

Behemoth isn't black metal. They call themselves Blackened Death (reminds me of Blackened Chicken at the local wok tbh). They had started as an obscure black metal band but since Satanica they've been death metal. Their latest album is still death metal though its got its share of sludgy power chorded riffs. And yeah, they are pretty mainstream, but many "kvlt" black metal bands sound like trash anyway. Really don't get what it is about Darkthrone's barely audible recordings and kindergarten riffs that makes people like them.

Behemoth isn't black metal. They call themselves Blackened Death (reminds me of Blackened Chicken at the local wok tbh). They had started as an obscure black metal band but since Satanica they've been death metal. Their latest album is still death metal though its got its share of sludgy power chorded riffs. And yeah, they are pretty mainstream, but many "kvlt" black metal bands sound like trash anyway. Really don't get what it is about Darkthrone's barely audible recordings and kindergarten riffs that makes people like them.

I'm all good with the barely audible XD I love Portal and Deathspell Omega style stuff. Messes with your mind. Not into much "trvu" black metal though, only thinking of Emperor off the top of my head.

I only listen to Christian Metal for the fact i'm a Christian and i don't chose to listen to evil music about sex, drugs, Satan, etc. That's just how i am, since i've became a Christian that music is evil to me.

And J. Valjean, i get what you were saying a couple of post ago, but that's like if i listen to Worship music, then go bump some Slipknot, there's only Cold and Warm, no Luke Warm.

Last edited:
Really don't get what it is about Darkthrone's barely audible recordings and kindergarten riffs that makes people like them.

OH NO YOU DID NOT.

I'm kidding, but there are plenty of trve kids that would flip their shit, I've just seen Behemoth tagged as BM too much, I'm not a huge fan of Death Metal aside from albums like Altars of Madness and Obscura so I guess I'm biased, but I like a lot of the obscure french BM and the "barley audible" but heart is in the hardcore side of thing, so I guess I'm not exactly "qualified" to talk since I don't know that much about this stuff

I only listen to Christian Metal for the fact i'm a Christian and i don't chose to listen to evil music about sex, drugs, Satan, etc. That's just how i am, since i've became a Christian that music is evil to me.

And J. Valjean, i get what you were saying a couple of post ago, but that's like if i listen to Worship music, then go bump some Slipknot, there's only Cold and Warm, no Luke Warm.

Ah, I rarely take lyrics seriously, if the artist intends that then often I will get very deep into the meaning etc but usually it's about the music for me. So I guess from my point of view it's like you are shutting off from the best music just because the person who wrote the lyrics has a different sense of humour or ideology. I always found it interesting the Tom Araya of Slayer was a pretty deeply religious man, but the lyrics mostly come from Kerry King running out of things he actually wants to talk about. It's pretty noticeable in their songs whether Araya had input or not.

I also realised I hadn't even addressed the nu metal thing. I really don't get the whole deal with it anyway, I guess I wasn't in the scene at the time but to me it just seems like metal kids hating on rock kids because a rock genre ended up with a title containing the word "metal" and thought there would be judgement on them because of it.... which is kind of true but the "average music casual" isn't exactly going to see the reason you would be offended there. Same thing happens all the time with core obviously, so often I get people trying to insult me because they heard a metalcore band and decided that metal was whiney. Really I just ignore those people.

What is annoying is when other metal fans then judge you because you like even one band considered part of those scenes. I get that sometimes with SOAD,(which makes no sense, they don'y even fit the genre of nu metal) Shadows Fall (a first wave metalcore band that is quite impressive) and for some completely ridiculous reason, Lamb Of God (this one I really don't get).

I'm gonna have to correct you there, this is first wave metalcore:
and 'real' metalcore

haha I am clearly not well versed in metalcore XD Still they are the only metalcore band that has gripped me.

Especially seeing as that sounds like normal hardcore to me XD Very odd hardcore, but I can't hear the metal.

EDIT: If Wikipedia is to be believed, then they are "first wave of melodic hardcore" I guess XD It calls Integrity Metallic Hardcore.... which sounds like metalcore to me.

Last edited:
haha I am clearly not well versed in metalcore XD Still they are the only metalcore band that has gripped me.

Especially seeing as that sounds like normal hardcore to me XD Very odd hardcore, but I can't hear the metal.

EDIT: If Wikipedia is to be believed, then they are "first wave of melodic hardcore" I guess XD It calls Integrity Metallic Hardcore.... which sounds like metalcore to me.

yeah, metallic hardcore was the original term and metalcore is the shorthand for it, started with Integrity, Converge, Deadguy, Rorschach and bands like that

(it's my favorite genre so I get a little defensive if I see bands get mistagged same with emo/screamo)

Melodic hardcore is actually a fancier name for the first wave of "pop" punk. Like The Descendents. To me the name "hardcore" will forever and always refer to punk bands like Minor Threat and Verbal Abuse. Not metal. But that's just me. I call any of the new hardcore defined bands "post-hardcore"

Melodic hardcore is actually a fancier name for the first wave of "pop" punk. Like The Descendents. To me the name "hardcore" will forever and always refer to punk bands like Minor Threat and Verbal Abuse. Not metal. But that's just me. I call any of the new hardcore defined bands "post-hardcore"

So the metal scene rejects them and the hardcore scene? I guess there is enough bands and subgenres in there to continue their own scene though. And if wiki is wrong on that, what the hell would you call Shadow's Fall XD A hardcore influenced band who leans heavily on the metal side? The guitarists in that band are definitely beast, capable of leads as great as many of my favorite metallers and their hardcore side is more like old school hardcore with punk influences, not the 4321 stuff that people like to rip on.