MK 1: Did it ever get a proper port?

@tarmanalf..... Nice collection! I've been looking in to buying those same cabinets, if you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for each of them?? Also, what version of MK1 is that?

I was disappointed by the 16-bit ports of MK. The Genesis had the blood and Fatalities while the SNES had near-arcade graphics yet neither played like the arcade. I had certain movements and exploits I could do in the arcade which didn't work on the 16-bit ports so they didn't feel like direct ports to me.

That brings us to the PC version. The first release came on floppies and the graphics and controls were nearly perfect. It was re-released later on CD-ROM and actually had .wav files for the music and sound effects. Some of the sound effects were mislabeled so I actually went in and actually remapped them to the right moments. This was the closest port to arcade by far until MAME came out and now we can actually play the real thing.
Honorable mention goes to Midway Treasures and the unlockable on Deception which are pretty much direct reports despite some sound and loading issues.

True. I had both MK I and II for PC and those were the closest versions to the arcade, except for the sound.

Before 1994-5 (when I bought my first PC) I had MK I for the Master System (what a tragedy!) and MK II for Gameboy (actually it was OK, trust me!) and Genesis and simply there was no comparison.

When MK first was ported, the PC version was undoubtedly the best. Note that I'm not counting Amiga (I doubt 98% of the people on this forum were even alive around that time) but standard Windows/MSDOS PCs. The disk versions were good but had horrible sound, but the CD versions were the ideal, perfect ports. Arcade perfect in almost every way.

@tarmanalf..... Nice collection! I've been looking in to buying those same cabinets, if you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for each of them?? Also, what version of MK1 is that?

I'm also curious as to how much you paid for each of those cabinets.

Edit: I just saw in another topic that you paid $250 for the MK1 cabinet. How much were the other two?

Last edited:
Yes, I played the PC DOS port of MK1, all three versions.

They are indeed, by far, the best ports. The gameplay is basically arcade perfect, with no content cut. The graphics are lower resolution, which means the characters are less detailed.

* The beta version has some bugs causing occasional game crashes, external setup program, and some moves that require 4 simultaneous keypresses are hard to execute on most keyboards.

* The final floppy version fixes most of the bugs (the game does not crash), simplifies Sonya's grab and Subby's slide (only need BL+LP+LK), adds an in-game setup screen to configure controls and audio, and secret DIP switches to control blood, fatalities, freeplay and a few other things. It has MIDI music instead of the digital audio of the arcade. Some sound effects appear to be missing as well.

* The CD version is basically the same as above except it uses digital music, adds back some of the missing sound effects and seems to run a bit faster. It's as arcade perfect as it gets.

Personally, I like the MIDI music better than I like the arcade music. Funny, but true.

I assume you are talking about the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, which exists for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. I wasn't sure at first whether it should be considered a port or simply the original arcade versions with a built-in emulator, but I guess it is indeed a port, because even though the gameplay itself is virtually "as is" from the arcades, they've added a lot of extras around it (move lists, network play, achievements).

In that sense, it is probably fair to call it the best port indeed, although I hate that it basically forces you to be connected to the gaming network (PSN, Xbox Live or GFWL) to play even the single player. However, it is definitely not "one of the early ports", and it wasn't even released by the time this thread was started. :)

I want to get Mortal Kombat 1 from the Deception KE, I lost mines :(. Anyone in here wants to sell me yours :)

I foolishly traded my Deception KE years ago. A regret that haunts me till this day.

My Armageddon Premium Edition was stolen by some dirt ball. How I'd like to rip a spine out for that!

I assume you are talking about the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection, which exists for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. I wasn't sure at first whether it should be considered a port or simply the original arcade versions with a built-in emulator, but I guess it is indeed a port, because even though the gameplay itself is virtually "as is" from the arcades, they've added a lot of extras around it (move lists, network play, achievements).

In that sense, it is probably fair to call it the best port indeed, although I hate that it basically forces you to be connected to the gaming network (PSN, Xbox Live or GFWL) to play even the single player. However, it is definitely not "one of the early ports", and it wasn't even released by the time this thread was started. :)

I've never had any issues playing single player. Are you sure it's the Arcade Kollection?

But for anyone wondering, the Arcade Kollection is something I highly recommend. Three HD remastered classics with a lot of great extra features.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the Deception Kollectors edition and the MAT Deluxe edition used the same source for MK 1, and it had some missing audio. Still was a pretty good port, but not what I would consider proper.

I AGREE with your statement. Almost perfect... but not near complete.. good from far... but far from good. Lol

Yes, I played the PC DOS port of MK1, all three versions.

They are indeed, by far, the best ports. The gameplay is basically arcade perfect, with no content cut. The graphics are lower resolution, which means the characters are less detailed.

* The beta version has some bugs causing occasional game crashes, external setup program, and some moves that require 4 simultaneous keypresses are hard to execute on most keyboards.

* The final floppy version fixes most of the bugs (the game does not crash), simplifies Sonya's grab and Subby's slide (only need BL+LP+LK), adds an in-game setup screen to configure controls and audio, and secret DIP switches to control blood, fatalities, freeplay and a few other things. It has MIDI music instead of the digital audio of the arcade. Some sound effects appear to be missing as well.

* The CD version is basically the same as above except it uses digital music, adds back some of the missing sound effects and seems to run a bit faster. It's as arcade perfect as it gets.

Personally, I like the MIDI music better than I like the arcade music. Funny, but true.

I think the PC DOS port of MK1 was pretty much the real deal, minus the terrible audio problems.. but the MIDI music was great. One questions i have... howcome they couldnt fix the music in MK Arcade Kollection for Goros lair? Its one simple track to replace... jeeze :(

I've never had any issues playing single player. Are you sure it's the Arcade Kollection?
I didn't mean there are issues, just that you need to be connected (even if you don't intend to play online). Probably not an issue for console players anyways, it's just that the "Games for Windows Live" that the PC version is tied to is particularly annoying.

I think the PC DOS port of MK1 was pretty much the real deal, minus the terrible audio problems.. but the MIDI music was great. One questions i have... howcome they couldnt fix the music in MK Arcade Kollection for Goros lair? Its one simple track to replace... jeeze :(
The final MK floppy release have been running quite OK for me, both real hardware and DOSBOX. There are some issues with initializing the sound effects every once in a while, but restarting the game / DOSBOX usually fixes those. If the sound initialized fine, there are no issues later during gameplay.

Could you refresh my memory - what is the problem with the Goro's Lair track in the Arcade Kollection?

Why do people keep saying that its only the sound that are not arcade perfect in the dos version?

Its only 256 colors on all PC versions. So that are not close to the arcade version.

Could you refresh my memory - what is the problem with the Goro's Lair track in the Arcade Kollection?

Well on the PS3 version, on Goros lair, the music starts and completely cuts out after a few seconds... only on that stage. And the sfx work fine though....