Was MK vs DC a blessing?

It seems like the only crossover that would fit here would be Mortal Kombat vs. Killer Instinct. They're both very bloody, they both have finishing moves, and I seriously don't believe that Rare and Co. would mind if Sub-Zero ripps off any of their characters heads!

@Kamal

Lol. I like how you quoted me and truncated it to simply "lots of stuff".

And overall yes, MKvDC wasn't the best game. It was my favorite since MKII but it did fail to capture the true feel of MK. If ever they were going to do another (which I'm sure they will), I would actually look forward to the blended personalities hinted at in all the endings (Sony as a Green Lantern, Kano going Joker, Sub-Zero with the Batman cape, etc.). But honestly I don't really want to see another one...I just want more of what we're getting now in the future.

I actually think this game was awesome, maybe i'm a little biased because I'm a comic fan as well...but i thought this game brought back some life into the MK series...after Armageddon i was really skeptical about this series, but MK vs DC dispel all that for me and definitely with the upcoming game, my faith in this series is restored and then some.

MK vs DC was the best thing to happen to MK in a long time. Because WB was pleased with it. Which led to them purchasing the team that would become NRS. Which in turn, gave NRS the funding, support, and time to make the MK game they wanted (MK9), a game they never could make at Midway because of time and money constraints.

killer instinct?

no game fits mk, mk is as unique as a game can be and i mean no game not sf,ki, not even my beloved god of war.

if games were ment to belong together there wouldn't be licensing mk should be mk not mk v anything.

but if mk dev's want to put their knowledge in to other fighters thats a different thing.

i liked mk v dc darkseid was the hatemail equivalent to kratos in mk9 lol

Last edited:
In my opinion, MK vs DC is the best playing of the 3D Mortal Kombats, far superior to Deadly Alliance, Deception, and Armageddon, although I liked the story from Deadly Allaince the best. It felt like a 2D game more than a 3D game. The rage meter was a worthy precursor to the X-ray meter we have now. Some of the exact same animations in MK9 were created for MK vs DC. I think the multi-chapter story mode using most of the characters was fun and a good idea. Clearly this format was re-used for MK9 also. We were robbed of DLC, but that is most likely due to Midway's financial situation. Also, for those saying it flopped, to date (on both Xbox 360 and PS3) MK vs. DC has sold more than MK9!

MK vs DC was the best thing to happen to MK in a long time. Because WB was pleased with it. Which led to them purchasing the team that would become NRS. Which in turn, gave NRS the funding, support, and time to make the MK game they wanted (MK9), a game they never could make at Midway because of time and money constraints.

This is the only good thing about "MK" Vs DC.

maybe Midway had that planned all along,

all along...

This is the only good thing about "MK" Vs DC.

I'd have to disagree.

MK vs DC had the fastest gameplay of any fighting Mortal Kombat game since MK4.
The rest were so damn sluggish.

Sure it didn't have real fatalities.
But a fatality is only about 5 percent of the entire length of a match.
I'd rather play an awesome match and see Scorpion give Sub-Zero a kiss than play through a slow boring fight where it seems like the characters are moving in mud to see 5 seconds of someone getting their head ripped off.

hell mk vs dc was the shit captain marvel, subzero, darkseid and green lantern where the shit in that game. like it or not it was a decent game. the reason people say it was a bad game is because it was T rated not because it was an actual bad game.

I'd have to disagree.

MK vs DC had the fastest gameplay of any fighting Mortal Kombat game since MK4.
The rest were so damn sluggish.

Sure it didn't have real fatalities.
But a fatality is only about 5 percent of the entire length of a match.
I'd rather play an awesome match and see Scorpion give Sub-Zero a kiss than play through a slow boring fight where it seems like the characters are moving in mud to see 5 seconds of someone getting their head ripped off.

With all the respect, you do have a point but there was a reason why I put MK in quotes..THis game was more of a DC fighting game than Mortal Kombat.

no. if Midway didn't come up with MKvsDC as a gimmick to make fast cash, the MKSM sequel, Fire and Ice, wouldn't have been axed.

I agree with this 100%.

I STILL would have preferred MK: Fire and Ice, instead of MK vs DC.

They should have axed the MKvsDC idea, and should have done Fire and Ice.
If NRS made a sequel to Shaolin Monks, using the same gameplay but featuring Sub-Zero and Scorpion instead, chances are VERY high that I'd still be playing that shit today.

To make myself more clear, I'm not saying that the game itself is bad. The gameplay mechanics (except for some features) are solid and they were a step into the right direction. Even MK 2011, the game we all love and consider to be the franchise's return to glory borrowed most of the gameplay elements from MK Vs DC.
But here's the point I was trying to make, is this game more of a DC fighting game or Mortal Kombat?
Try to answer this honestly...

This game feels nothing like Mortal Kombat IMO.

but then mk would be no more but what ever. mk's, mk we all love it.

That's not really true though.
MK was bought out by WB, regardless of the crappy game that was MKvsDC.
If they would have made Fire and Ice instead, it doesn't mean that they wouldn't have bought the MK franchise.
We don't know that.
For all we know, MK: Fire and Ice could have been a huge success, and WB might have still bought the I.P.

MKvsDC wasn't the reason that Midway went bankrupt.

Midway was already going bankrupt, and MKvsDC was just a last attempt to be their "saving grace" from going under.

To make myself more clear, I'm not saying that the game itself is bad. The gameplay mechanics (except for some features) are solid and they were a step into the right direction. Even MK 2011, the game we all love and consider to be the franchise's return to glory borrowed most of the gameplay elements from MK Vs DC.
But here's the point I was trying to make, is this game more of a DC fighting game or Mortal Kombat?
Try to answer this honestly...

This game feels nothing like Mortal Kombat IMO.

Feels nothing MK how?
Gameplay or atmosphere?

Because for me the gameplay was spot on for a Mortal Kombat game.
Difficult homemade combos and the ability to run :love:

But as for atmosphere I completely agree.
I hated and I mean ****ing HATED playing on the Green Lantern's stage.
Fruity ass room with little blue dudes watching me throw down :x