Was MK vs DC a blessing?

BBBLP

Robot Rock
I wanted your opinions on how much MK vs DC helped or harmed the fabled martial arts tournament.

Its a common thought that DC was the worst thing to happen to MK. But I feel as if it (as Boon said himself) created a bloodlust from fans. I don't think I'd think the fatalities would be as exciting to me if MK8 was a regular violent game. The excitement would still be relatively high because of the 2d gameplay, but I believe its even higher because of them also returning to the gore.

Do you think this game's effect on the Mortal Kombat name was intentional? Kind of like holding a garden hose to stop the flow, but then let it go for a fat ass blast.

I'm pretty sure the team didn't really foresee MKvDC becoming such a flop. But I'm ALSO sure that upon realizing what a disgrace it was compared with good ol MKII that they needed to take a step back.

I feel that no other franchise fits the world of MK (hence no way MKvSF would ever happen). Unless they are willing to play by MK rules i.e. blood and gore and can deal with Ryu getting his head ripped off...MK will only be diluted by whatever franchise leeches on it. This is why I'm the only one in this entire forum that doesn't mind the addition of Kratos. At least he plays ball.

I'm actually glad about MkvsDC because it showed that MK needed to stay true to it's roots as a violent gory rated M video game.

all of the extras such as free fall combat, close combat, the intricate story line were pretty legit. i think that if that exact game were made into a real mk game minus all the superheroes and t rating it would have been a very successful title

no. if Midway didn't come up with MKvsDC as a gimmick to make fast cash, the MKSM sequel, Fire and Ice, wouldn't have been axed.

I feel that no other franchise fits the world of MK (hence no way MKvSF would ever happen). Unless they are willing to play by MK rules i.e. blood and gore and can deal with Ryu getting his head ripped off...MK will only be diluted by whatever franchise leeches on it. This is why I'm the only one in this entire forum that doesn't mind the addition of Kratos. At least he plays ball.

mk vs tekken or Dead or alive perhaps?

mk vs tekken or Dead or alive perhaps?

Hey I would love to see any cross over with MK-- dare I say it, MK v KI? But whom ever decides to go up against MK needs to play by MK house rules. Maybe this new MK game will change minds.

@B,B,B,LP: I don't think it was intentional, but I agree with you. It's always darkest before the light.

MK isn't the only fighting game with blood and gore.

Yeah I feel like it was something this game was made just to piss some of us MK fans bekause there was no violence, another 3d game, no unlockables, no alternative kostumes, slow ass chunky fighting, not being a orginal Mortal Kombat game due to the outsiders, no DLC, and no beefed up khacaters. But now, they are back with full violence, 2nd fighting plane, a shit load of unlockables, alternative kostumes, fast fighting, game full of kharacters MK1-UMK3, DLC and sizes that actually fit the kharacter. So yeah I do think it was like, " holding a garden hose to stop the flow, but then let it go for a fat ass blast."

Yeah I feel like it was something this game was made just to piss some of us MK fans bekause there was no violence, another 3d game, no unlockables, no alternative kostumes, slow ass chunky fighting, not being a orginal Mortal Kombat game due to the outsiders, no DLC, and no beefed up khacaters. But now, they are back with full violence, 2nd fighting plane, a shit load of unlockables, alternative kostumes, fast fighting, game full of kharacters MK1-UMK3, DLC and sizes that actually fit the kharacter. So yeah I do think it was like, " holding a garden hose to stop the flow, but then let it go for a fat ass blast."

Thats how I felt!

Fat ass blasts and Titties FTW!!!!

I'm actually glad about MkvsDC because it showed that MK needed to stay true to it's roots as a violent gory rated M video game.
^^
Here Here! The MK fans thought it was the final straw for the series, and wanted a game that went back to it's roots. If you ask me, they got a HELL of a lot more than they bargained for, literally going back to it's roots.

Thats how I felt!

Fat ass blasts and Titties FTW!!!!

Oh yes tittes. It is the number one golden rule in our TRMK ancient kode.

Serious side: I been thinking about this shit for weeks and wanted to start a thread about it but I didn't know what or start off what to say.

I'm not bugged out by stuff like that.
It still had the murder, just not the gore.
I can live without gore every once in a while.
Mortal Kombat didn't appeal to me due to killing other people, it appealed to me because it had a good storyline. THAT'S what I look for in video games.

I'm not bugged out by stuff like that.
It still had the murder, just not the gore.
I can live without gore every once in a while.
Mortal Kombat didn't appeal to me due to killing other people, it appealed to me because it had a good storyline. THAT'S what I look for in video games.

I agree - a good story really makes a great game. As far as MK though, I pop it in simply to dish out damage. Not so much the story. I have a feeling I'll be getting the best of both worlds with the new MK. We'll find out in the upcoming weeks when they preview the story mode!

I've always been enamored with the story.
Ever since I was a kid. Mostly since I wasn't around during the "golden age" of playing in the arcade. I had a Super Nintendo so the blood wasn't always present when I played.