So do you think this game will have a nice competitive scene like SSF4?

The controls are different in street fighter you have your light,medium, and heavy attacks... in MK you have high punch, low punch, high kick, low kick...in MK9 your controling every limb...street fighter and MK are not the same game if it where street fighter motherf***ers would respect mortal kombat...MK never really had any big tournaments because of the depth and complexity it had,..MK9 is looking to change all that

what did I just read?

I don't think you'll see Tekken run well online until internet technology improves. .. *snip*

I would be very surprised if TTT2 is any better than the post-patch T6 net code.

Yeah, I played the games competitively until 2004... I stopped at T5 due to various issues that didn't have anything to do with the game. Throws aside, the controls are generally more frame sensitive intentionally and that doesn't work well online.

There is room for improvement over the post patch T6 code, but perfection is far off. Things can get bad enough to affect collision online for example.

@Aldo - Yea, I'm actually a HUGE KoF fan. Sorry I made a joke that you apparently find immature. I'll remember to take consideration for your sake from now on. ;]

1. Super ridiculously unbalanced(There is a God Tier)
2. Took away wavedashing, dash dancing, SHFFLing, and many things that made the game have a ton of options.
3. Lowered the speed of the game.
4. The stale move factor(if you use one move too much it gets weaker)
5. MLG, EVO, and WCG stopped taking it seriously
6. It was generally really nooby.

I have a past with Brawl of course because I was looking forward to it being good because Melee's standards. But in the end everyone learned that Nintendo could give a flying shit about the competitive community around the world for Melee.

Then what do they kare about? And thanks for keep explaining this stuff to me.

@Aldo - Yea, I'm actually a HUGE KoF fan. Sorry I made a joke that you apparently find immature. I'll remember to take consideration for your sake from now on, especially in topics where you yourself post such mature subject matter. ;]

Stop trying to be a smartass.

Stop trying to be a smartass.

You mistake me! I'm not trying at all but when I do, I actually do quite well. In all honesty, I simply had no idea that you would receive my little musing in such a light, and to maintain neutral standing with others that frequent this board, I will make an effort to appear less "immature" as to not arouse any negative feelings. The little shot at the end was a bit uncalled for and I have since edited it out, though I see you managed to view it beforehand. My apology is sincere, I can assure you I'll be less cavalier in the future.

In fact allow me to start by answering your previous question that I will admit I had missed before.
KoF is actually a sound tournament fighter. My personal favorite is KoF 2002 or KoF Unlimited Match 2002 for PS2. Though I haven't seen any official tournaments outside of Eastern countries I have had quite a few "Unofficial" tournaments with fans in the area. We've never actually met behind Burger King, sadly. The thing about KoF is that normally players will specialize exclusively in maybe one or two characters since some can be very complex and others want to use specific strategies against certain opponents. This obviously turns a lot of people off from the game but in some ways I suppose you could say that this isn't too dissimilar from fighters like Tekken. It can be a test of a players skill to master the fighting elements of the game and the action can become blinding on screen at times, so it is a fighter you need to invest time in to really become good at it.

I still know many who play KoF'98 as it seems to be the overall favorite and there are small online communities that play and exchange strategies and talk KOF. Mostly when you are dealing with people from the States it is those who are more framiliar with the MAME'd versions which upset SNK/Playmore to no end(Hence the WAREZ references in Neo Geo Battle Colliseum). I'm assuming you already know about the shortcomings of the newer itterations released on the Taito Type X2 and the reception it got and it's still not as accessible as the SF series. I know nothing about Brawl, so I can't comment on that. I missed the bus on that one.

I'm hopeful that MK will manage a strong and competitive online standing, and if what I've seen so far out of fans is any indication, I'm sure it will be long lasting and bring back some of the old time flavor of classic MK tourneys. With XBOX Live and PSN, we won't even have to go to the arcades now to compete! =] Still, I'm sure there will still be venues for it and live tournaments within the year. I think that some are even already being planned.

Last edited:
it all hinges on two things.

1. the hit boxes. based on the demo. no possible way...you can hit someone with an uppercut from a mile away. its retarded.
2. the things they change. they said they were keeping patching options ready to change things they dont like or w/e they see in tourney play...keep it from being broken. probably a good thing, but hardcore tourney players will get might pissed if they master a character, only to have a crucial ability changed or w/e.