So do you think this game will have a nice competitive scene like SSF4?

I will, I hate online.

Good shit. And you should hate online. No matter "how good or decent" it might be, a game isnt made in lag or delay, therefor any netplay should NEVER be taken seriously.

If you want the MK9 scene to be successful, its in the players hands. ALL OF YOU.

I go to at least 6-8 events a year, from East Coast Throwdown to my hometown Season's Beatings. I actually just booked myself for Evo 2011 last night. its a very serious thing for me. We UMK3, and will continue to do so, but now we'll have MK9 so the scene for MK is huge right now, and will only grow. Hasnt been this big since MK2. Real talk.

If you are interested in getting started in this scene, get ahold of me and i will get you the knowledge and love you need to do so.

Good shit. And you should hate online. No matter "how good or decent" it might be, a game isnt made in lag or delay, therefor any netplay should NEVER be taken seriously.

If you want the MK9 scene to be successful, its in the players hands. ALL OF YOU.

I go to at least 6-8 events a year, from East Coast Throwdown to my hometown Season's Beatings. I actually just booked myself for Evo 2011 last night. its a very serious thing for me. We UMK3, and will continue to do so, but now we'll have MK9 so the scene for MK is huge right now, and will only grow. Hasnt been this big since MK2. Real talk.

If you are interested in getting started in this scene, get ahold of me and i will get you the knowledge and love you need to do so.

i agree with most your points however - if you live in a place where there is no fighting game scene then online can be a great way to practice. I know that things are alot different OFF line, practicing online would be better then playing the same 1 or 2 people everyday.

but you are 100% correct about the difference between on/off line because ive played street figher both ways and it is definatley different

there is no kind of fighting game scene in NC to my knowledge which is where i live - unless you live in raleigh maybe

Indeed; Most people in my town seem to think Video Games start and end with Call of Duty.....

Tl;Dr: I would play offline if I could, but it's not going to happen.

I think it'd be a good idea after a while to have a forum on this site devoted to hosting offline tournaments by region. It's clear that this game will have a big scene so this site could further help us fans to network with each other.

This way we could also measure the progress of which characters are doing the best overall in the world and also who the top players. If done right this could be the hub for competitive AND causual MK throughout the web. I really hope the mods and Pat are up for it.

I think MK9 will have a competitive scene judging from how the characters are used in the game, street fighter characters all have strengths and weaknesses, if MK9 can balance the characters out the game will be the best in the biz..LOL the game aint come out yet and I say MK for game of the year!

It'll be a better fighting game than Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Sentinels. You can take that to the bank.

It'll be a better fighting game than Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Sentinels. You can take that to the bank.

I dont like that statment, even though they are in the same genre they are two totally diffrent fighting games.

I dont like that statment, even though they are in the same genre they are two totally diffrent fighting games.

Yea, I know that. MvC3 just isn't a good game. Way too much damage, X-factor, Sentinel, and easy ABC combos are some of the things that just make it too easy for casual players. Regardless of it being a "versus" fighting game, in the end it is a fighting game and it fails at it. It's pretty clear when 90% of the top players in the community all hate it for being so noob friendly. Mortal Kombat on the other hand is looking like it will at least take some ounce of skill to win at.

This... if more people travel to offline tournaments, MK will be a popular tournament fighter.

there is no kind of fighting game scene in NC to my knowledge which is where i live - unless you live in raleigh maybe

http://shoryuken.com/f20/nc-thread-liv-no-name-one-267405/

177 posts in less than a week. Looks like there's a scene in NC to me. Even if you have to drive a little bit, NC isn't all that big. Not sure where exactly you live, but you should be within a 2 hour drive of decent competition. That's doable at least once a month, and you may find several people in your city so you don't have to drive at all.

Indeed; Most people in my town seem to think Video Games start and end with Call of Duty.....

Tl;Dr: I would play offline if I could, but it's not going to happen.

Where do you live? Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, it's very possible there's at least a small scene very close to you.

I think it'd be a good idea after a while to have a forum on this site devoted to hosting offline tournaments by region. It's clear that this game will have a big scene so this site could further help us fans to network with each other.

This way we could also measure the progress of which characters are doing the best overall in the world and also who the top players. If done right this could be the hub for competitive AND causual MK throughout the web. I really hope the mods and Pat are up for it.

A tournament forum would be good, but a regional matchmaking forum should be the first priority. This allows people to find out who lives around them and organize local play sessions.

I think MK9 will have a competitive scene judging from how the characters are used in the game, street fighter characters all have strengths and weaknesses, if MK9 can balance the characters out the game will be the best in the biz..LOL the game aint come out yet and I say MK for game of the year!

Balance isn't as important and gameplay depth. MvC2 isn't the least bit balanced and it was popular in tournaments for over 10 years.

If you're still crying about Sentinel then you need to get better at the game. Sentinel is good, but he's far from beatable. Most high-level players don't even consider him in the top 5.

If you're still crying about Sentinel then you need to get better at the game. Sentinel is good, but he's far from beatable. Most high-level players don't even consider him in the top 5.

You really can't get better at that game. Just do the missions that teach you the combos and you're good. I'm pretty sure he is in the top 5 or 90% of the players wouldn't have had him on their team at Winter Brawl 2011. I'm not crying about the game. I don't even own the game. I just think the game likes depth and has no rewarding feeling when you win.

You really can't get better at that game. Just do the missions that teach you the combos and you're good. I'm pretty sure he is in the top 5 or 90% of the players wouldn't have had him on their team at Winter Brawl 2011. I'm not crying about the game. I don't even own the game. I just think the game likes depth and has no rewarding feeling when you win.

You dont play, and dont know much about the game. Therefor, please stfu about it. thank you.

You dont play, and dont know much about the game. Therefor, please stfu about it. thank you.

I do play the game the game. I've got a friend that owns it. I play Magneto, Wesker, Doom and probably know more about the game than anyone on this thread. Man, I hate you MK elitists on here always telling people to stfu.

I disagree with Gameplay depth being more important than balance. I think that they are both equally important tbh. An unbalanced game like MvC2 wouldnt fly as well these days.

I do play the game the game. I've got a friend that owns it. I play Magneto, Wesker, Doom and probably know more about the game than anyone on this thread. Man, I hate you MK elitists on here always telling people to stfu.

I been playin the game avidly and let me tell you something. It's fast, it is easily accessible, and the animation is fluid. Yes, the combos pull off ridiculous amounts damage but that's why you have 3 players to work with. I can pull off 100 hit combos no prob and none of them kill you off. It is like throwing a 30% juggle in Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter. If you keep dying easy at the game try to play a lot of arcade. Switch the difficulty when you find it getting to easy for you. When you can beat it on any difficulty then try online again. I agree with one of the comments above about fighting games having horrible lag time. You got to play a lot different online. Tone your skills down to be honest. I ranked #14 at Tekken Dark Resurrection for a while, and honestly I kept to basic moves. Lately I have been keeping away from online fighters. Call of Duty is good though.LoL

I been playin the game avidly and let me tell you something. It's fast, it is easily accessible, and the animation is fluid. Yes, the combos pull off ridiculous amounts damage but that's why you have 3 players to work with. I can pull off 100 hit combos no prob and none of them kill you off. It is like throwing a 30% juggle in Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter. If you keep dying easy at the game try to play a lot of arcade. Switch the difficulty when you find it getting to easy for you. When you can beat it on any difficulty then try online again. I agree with one of the comments above about fighting games having horrible lag time. You got to play a lot different online. Tone your skills down to be honest. I ranked #14 at Tekken Dark Resurrection for a while, and honestly I kept to basic moves. Lately I have been keeping away from online fighters. Call of Duty is good though.LoL

I wasn't complaining about losing too much. In fact, I win too much. The game is just too easy in my opinion. It just isn't fun to me I guess. I really hope MK is as rewarding as SSFIV is. That game requires strict timing and practice. Here's to hoping MK is as great as it looks!

Yeah but bro I am in Ontario, Canada, I have no idea where any tourneys and stuff are up here. T11 just finished, and thats about it.

I don't see why not. Back in the 90's I was one of those kids that hated SF simply because I love MK. I just feel that SF is unnecessarily complicated and to me complexity doesn't translate to a better game. Like Taj said, MK got accepted to EVO, so I think we're already there.

I agree 100% to do a special move in street fighter is like doing a fatality in MK, complexity doesn't translate to a better game because it turns the casual player away and the thing I like about MK is its fun for hardcore and casual players, like I said before street fighter best of all fighting games days are over come April 19th