Which is your favorite Video Game Era?

Choose your Bit era!

• Total voters

GEO9875

Which is your favorite Video Game Era? Mine is the 32 era went the best mk's were create.

EDIT:thanks to jade for including the 8 bit to the pool, also 24 bit era existed one of the games are the fx snes games.

Last edited:
nice thread, I've voted for the 16 bit. the release of MK1 on the supersnes was probaly the hapiest day in my life. Besides that, ive played the most videogames on the snes. started with a atari 2600 waayyyy back in the day when I was a little kid..all the way now to the ps3. but the snes period was just too f*** great. too many great games, I rented 1 or 2 games almost every week too.....ahhh..driving thru memory lane.....sweet memories :D

nice thread, I've voted for the 16 bit. the release of MK1 on the supersnes was probaly the hapiest day in my life. Besides that, ive played the most videogames on the snes. started with a atari 2600 waayyyy back in the day when I was a little kid..all the way now to the ps3. but the snes period was just too f*** great. too many great games, I rented 1 or 2 games almost every week too.....ahhh..driving thru memory lane.....sweet memories :D

Yeah man! the good old days ahh great memories.

Overall, I have to say the 64 Bit because thats the era where I understood video games more. Sure I played MK in the arcades when I was like 5 years old, but my knowledge of gaming was not as sophisticated back then. My N64 and I have a lot of memories, and I still play N64 via emulator. 64 Bit is my era :).

100/200 bits.

I love the 8 and 16 bit eras but games these days are just incredible. When it comes to recurring fun factor, though, 8 and 16 wins but when it comes to jaw dropping games, 100/200.

I am old so I like the 8 and 16 bit ears the best I was like 7 when the first Nintendo came out. I thought that was the best thing ever. Games are too complicated for me these days, except Mortal Kombat. Mortal Kombat is the only game that I have kept up with from start to finish.

Kan someone show me examplese from each era please?

4 Bit - First Atari Systems
8 Bit - Old Atari Systems, NES maybe
16 Bit - Sega Genesis, SNES
24 Bit - Dont know any
32 Bit - Sega 32X add on for the Genesis
64 Bit - N64, PS1
100 Bit, 200 Bit - PS2, Xbox, PS3, 360

I've never heard of a 24bit game. Not saying that none exist, but there's certainly not enough to be called an era.

I'll picked 16 bit, but most of the 90s kicked butt since it had both the peak of the 16 bit era and the peak of the arcades.

It is hard to choose; based on pure nostalgia I'd say 16bit; man I loved how simple yet entertaining most of those games were. I especially liked the songs from those games; some of them I have on my Ipod now

I've never heard of a 24bit game. Not saying that none exist, but there's certainly not enough to be called an era.
Yeah the 24 bit era barely existet. the only one i cant think of are the super nintendo games with the Fx chip.

32 Bit Era was my jam, my first ever console was a Megadrive and I enjoyed it from time to time, but when my mother traded it over for a Playstation that's when I really got into gaming as a kid. The Playstation went on to have one of the damn best library of games ever, The Sega Saturn killed it with 2D Games and had some unique and overlooked games ( Nights, Burning Rangers ect... ) and the Nintendo 64 was such a blast to play with friends ( Many hours wasted on Goldeneye, Killer Instinct Gold and Mario Tennis to name a few ). I felt that Game's were taken more seriously in the 32 Bit era, when I had my Megadrive alot of people I knew always thought of it as a toy, but when the change to 3D occured it wasn't conceived as "Kiddy" anymore.

Current console CPU's are actually 32 bit. That doesn't matter anymore of course, and the PS2 was the only console with a 128 bit CPU (the Xbox was 32 bit).

Anyway, I think a better poll would be with decades, and 90's win it all IMO. My favorite consoles are the Genesis and PS1, and the decade overall is the golden age for console and PC gaming where creativity peaked. Not to mention the dawn and golden age of fighters as they exist today. 1998 in particular is still viewed by many as the single best year in gaming (RE2, MGS, Zelda OOT, Fallout 2, PS T3, Alpha 3, R4 etc.)

Clearly 16-bit era was the best IMO (SNES era particularly). Overall as Umon stated the 90' was the best decade for videogames. MK I/II/3, SF II/SSF2, Zelda link to the past, ... My only regret was SSFII Turbo was never ported to the Snes, I never understood why since the console was powerful enough to handle SF alpha 2.

Super SFII was a spectacular failure on SNES/Genesis, so they never bothered with SSFII Turbo (though the 3DO version was excellent). It hurt Capcom quite a bit actually, until a savior was released in 1996 in the form of a "survival horror" game (RE/Biohazard that is.. still the game that I own the most copies of at 9, including various versions)

After SFII Turbo on SNES, the only SF game (vs or otherwise) to hit a million was SF Alpha 3 on PS1 then the more recent SFIV.

@ Mastersys

I know what you mean. The transition to 3D from 2D wasn't exactly rosy, but there was a creative boom on PC and console and the tech jump was quite tangible (especially audio). It was an exciting time, be it at home or arcades.. which incidentally had the high tech games. Sega's VF3 in late 96 was unrivaled until 1999.

Last edited:
Clearly 16-bit era was the best IMO (SNES era particularly). Overall as Umon stated the 90' was the best decade for videogames. MK I/II/3, SF II/SSF2, Zelda link to the past, ... My only regret was SSFII Turbo was never ported to the Snes, I never understood why since the console was powerful enough to handle SF alpha 2.

Yeah I never got that as well, If not SFII Turbo then why not Alpha? Although I guess they didn't want to have a 3rd Street Fighter II game on the SNES, I think that would have pissed off alot of customers who bought SFII Turbo and SSFII.