MK2 Cab Project

EricP

I have wanted a MK2 cabinet for years. They were always to expensive or looked like the fell down a flight of stairs. So after years of searching I said screw it and decide to built it from scratch.

Here is some of the progress:

I was working on the side art last night, and waiting on more parts to come in like the coin door. Will be posting more pics soon. There is an arcade expo here next weekend and we want to have a MK2 tournament at the expo with this cab.

Looks fantastic. My friend just bought a dedicated mk2 cabinet a couple days ago. He also has the non-dedicated version which we have played the crap out of.

He payed 750 for the dedicated and it is in great shape.

So did you order all the art work or did you print them off yourself?

Thanks

I was able to print off all of the art work myself, I have a HP DesignJet 1050 in my office. I did purchase the CPO, it has a polycarbonate layer over the top to protect it. I would like to see when it goes to the Expo how many will be able to tell that it is a scratch built cab. I based my design on the original Midway dedicated cabinet.

I am probably in for $350 so far.

That looks great! I wish I had the patience and the skills to build my own MK II cab.

I had some rough dimensions and some pics to go off of. 3 4'x8' sheets of 5/8" MDF a tape measure and a saw, plus a lot of patience. I added a few 2x4 braces. The hard part was cutting the slot for the T-moulding. By the end of the weekend I hope it looks almost complete. Hope to put up some more pics in a couple days.

Another pic of the cab in my game room. Like I said hopefully the MK2 cab will look more complete soon.

It's... it's beautiful...
How do you get the game to actually operate?
I'm looking to build my own actually and I'm deathly curious.
(UMK3 ftw.)

I am running a 3.1 ver board, its Jamma+ so it is not that hard to wire up. However I am using a 21" PC monitor instead of a 25" Standard monitor. I am using a video up-converter to run the board on a PC monitor. I already had the PC monitor so I decided to just use it for now. If I run across and good 25" monitor that doesn't cost $500, I may install it instead. I will get some shots of the inside and the wiring this week.

A few more pictures of today's progress. More paint, all the T-Moulding installed and the coin door installed. The board is mounted and ready to install. Just waiting on a couple more parts to come in the mail. Hopefully it will be powered back up and fully complete by the end of the week.

The Cab was a big hit at the Louisville Arcade Expo in March. We had a big Mortal Kombat 2 tournament and the cabinet worked flawlessly. I still have a bit of cleaning up to do with the wiring and I want to put plexglass over the bezel. I plan on putting up some more pics of the wiring when it gets cleaned up.

i would give you good $$$$ for this badboy damnnnnn bro.... nice work......your really skilled man. msg me maybe you can help me out on touching up my cabinet im buying....

Its time for the Louisville Arcade Expo again this weekend, the cabinet was a huge hit last year. I have put some finishing touches on it for this year. There is a MK2 sournament scheduled for Saturday. I am taking my Street Fighter 2 as well and it will be used for a tournament on Friday.
SF2_MK2.jpg
LAExpo.jpg