Why is Best Buy giving people who buy the KE and TE the shaft?

Matt Dawley

The only reason I waited the extra month to pre-order my TE was so that I could pre-order at Best Buy and get the Sub-Zero stuff. Now I read all over the place that I'm going to get the shaft on that. I don't even buy video games from Best Buy. There isn't one conveniently nearby, I mainly deal with GameStop. I'm pretty irritated with the whole situation. I called their customer service and they basically said oh well, we don't know why it's like that, too bad. So mad. I don't even want to give them my $160 but I can't go elsewhere now because the TEs are gone. ARGH!

Amazon isn't really an option for me for 2 reasons, I'm not a Reptile player and I want to be able to pick up the game on release day, not pay extra for shipping and hope it gets to me release day.

I don't know, but it's a BAD move on their part.

You'll still get Ermac's Klassic Costume with the KE and TE from best buy, as Pat mentioned to me on twitter (due to it being in the package from WB), but it makes no sense NOT to have Sub-Zero's Klassic Costume and Fatality for KE and TE.

I figure most corporations don't want complaints and stuff like that, I know, I work for a corporation. So if I complain enough I'll probably get something. I'm really disappointed. This will be the last time Best Buy gets my money.

I checked Best Buy's forums and they have one of their mods checking as to why it's like that but he hasn't responded.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't care less about reptile's costume, but I'm counting on the DLC. Sub-Zero is the most interesting player in the game. His story line alone is hard to get straight.

I posted this on their forums:
There's some real deceptive stuff going on here. Every version of the new Mortal Kombat whether it be for PS3 or Xbox 360, Standard, Kollector's, or Tournament Edition has that wonderful red check mark next to it saying "Special Offer." If you click on said check mark it brings you to the list of all the gaming special offers. Once you get to Mortal Kombat's Best Buy Exclusive and click on that, it brings you to a list of ALL of the versions of the game, which ALL have the special offer mark next to them. You are the ONLY retailer who has an exclusive character and is not offering it for all versions. However your website sure makes it look like you are. I am very irritated at this and this exclusive content was the only reason I pre-ordered my Tournament Edition from Best Buy. Now I'm not even getting the content that lured me to buy here. It's bad business and if I don't receive it come launch time, I will not be shopping at Best Buy again and I will be filing formal complaints with every person in a management postion that I can get a hold of.

All the retro costumes are coming out as DLC later on trust me.
DCP, that's not the point. The point is these retailers are using these exclusives to draw sales to their businesses. I chose Best Buy for the exclusive that they had and now I'm going to have to plunk down more money for content I should have received free in the first place for choosing to do business with that specific company. It's bad business on their part and I plan on being a pain in their asses if it ends up that way.

I posted this on their forums:

DCP, that's not the point. The point is these retailers are using these exclusives to draw sales to their businesses. I chose Best Buy for the exclusive that they had and now I'm going to have to plunk down more money for content I should have received free in the first place for choosing to do business with that specific company. It's bad business on their part and I plan on being a pain in their asses if it ends up that way.

I'm pretty sure they'll come out on the PS Store/Live Marketplace for free. That's how it was for MAG when it came out. Either way I can probably hook you up with a Sub Code, my friends dad works at Best Buy.

I pre-ordered the TE from Bestbuy as well to get the Sub-Zero exclusives. I could be wrong but personally I believe we will get content codes for our TE and KE orders from them. I think its just a matter of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing at BB.

It just doesn't make sense for them to be the only retailer to not offer the codes for all editions. Its been mentioned before that all the exclusives will be available as dlc later down the line and they'll all be peddled on ebay as well at day one. So worst case scenario, there will be other options.

For what its worth here's a mention of this on the MK twitter.

I pre-ordered the TE from Bestbuy as well to get the Sub-Zero exclusives. I could be wrong but personally I believe we will get content codes for our TE and KE orders from them. I think its just a matter of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing at BB.

It just doesn't make sense for them to be the only retailer to not offer the codes for all editions. Its been mentioned before that all the exclusives will be available as dlc later down the line and they'll all be peddled on ebay as well at day one. So worst case scenario, there will be other options.

For what its worth here's a mention of this on the MK twitter.

Good find.
If the guys at NRS say that's false, I'd take their word for it.

It's been on Bestbuys web site for months now. If It's not changed by now then It won't.

Yeah, but if NRS themsleves are saying that the Sub-Zero Klassic Costume will be included regardless of what Best Buy version you Pre-Order, then they might be putting the code inside the game case.

Here's the big point: Best Buy isn't seeing a dime of the money from DLC, so they really SHOULD hope its included in with the TE/KE versions to try to push those as that results in more margin for them. NRS is the only one with a financial stake in the Sub costume DLC though, so they really should be the ones controlling which version does or does not get it.

Given the above, I'm pretty sure they're putting it in the packages ahead of time though for all versions and this is just a false rumor.

Okay well, because I'm a serious MK dork I had a plan to do this:

Best Buy - TE which I was going to keep
Gamestop - Pre-order standard, redeem scorpion code I get, return the game
Amazon - KE to sell so I can gouge everyone who wanted one but couldn't get one (sorry, but that's capitalism). I was going to redeem Reptile code, of course.

If anyone had a similar stupid idea, know this:

Best Buy has a tendency to have their exclusive content PACKAGED WITH THE GAME. I have purchased three different games from Best Buy over the past 2 years. Each one had "Best Buy Exclusive Content", and all of it was packed into the box with the game. Best Buy policy is that you can only trade back your opened copy for the same item, so if you plan on doing something similar to that ridiculous idea I previously had, I would recommend you wait to see what the deal is with the content. If you're just looking for standard edition + sub-zero, then just get your copy at best buy. Otherwise don't follow my example and try to be a cheap dope :D

I never really understood the "buying 3 copies of the game and sell 2 back" mentality.
The MK Community manager even said that all 3 Klassic Costumes / Fatalities will be available via DLC.

I'd rather just get 1 KE, and DLC the other 2 Klassic Ninja Costumes / Fatalities.
It'll be cheaper in the long run anyways.

lol all of these costumes will be on DLC soon anyway. That is stupid to buy 4 or whatever to get all the costumes and return 3. Jesus christ people, just buy the one wherever.