Mad Catz "COMBAT" Edition Panels for TE sticks (w/ mini review)

Tim Static

You can pre-order them NOW, to ship March7th, for either 360 or PS3

I got one straight from MarkMan a couple days ago, and here is an example of what it looks like.

2uj0aw7.jpg

Soon we will have a template for custom artwork, and of course you can use any color buttons or ball top/bat top sticks (i am switching the ball to a bat ASAP, just dont have one for a sanwa stick yet).

This is a GREAT stick for a SF player who plays soley on a SF layout, who have never played on the old school MK layout or is just afraid of the old MK layout. THIS IS FOR YOU!

What about people who use the old school MK sticks? Will you like this more? How does it feel? Well, i was skeptical about it, but aside from using it with a ball top so far (i HATE ball tops! lol) it works very well. Its very natural. I tested it using MKT on my PS3 (its a PS3 stick, therefor its only good with a PS3) and it worked great.

I know everyone has preferences, but everyone who uses a stick needs to try this out. Storms will be at Winter Brawl with one for everyone to check out.

MAD PROPS TO LUCKDAY FOR COMING OVER TODAY AND DOING THIS MOD FOR ME!!! THANKS BRO!!

Last edited:
Awesome!!! What kind of custom artwork you want to use?
Also, I tought that the original MK button layout looks more like a cross. Here, it seems to be a good compromise between the MK and the SF Layout.

I saw this before some where. Pretty dope but i think I prefer the TE stick. This one is still a little slanted, not all the way "X" shaped like the old MK layout. Not for me but a cool panel nevertheless.

Wow. I guess it's a good sign that they're on backorder. Didn't realize those were links because of the color.

Did this myself today! i am so proud of me, even tho my kids coulda done it LOL

bat top, circle gate thingy and classic MK color scheme ACTIVATE!!

2ut0mkx.jpg

Gotta love the Bat-Tops. Makes me want my arcade stick so bad now. APRIL Y U SO LATE?

The button colours look so out of place though.

Yeah, I'm waiting for lizardlicks.com to get in the white screw-in buttons before placing an order and finishing up the stick... Definitely the blue that Sanwa offers isn't correct and the "dark blue" looks purple (plus they don't have dark blue in the screw-in style I prefer for mods). Can't wait to see the custom artwork that comes out... UMK3 would be great!

I'd just go with all-red buttons. That blue is so off that it really doesn't resemble the arcade controllers.

Come on peeps, especially you guys who use SF layouts or are afraid of the old school MK layout...get yours now!

How's the circle gate versus square? I'm thinking of getting a couple of the circle restrictors, because the Japanese style isn't doing it for me.

Did you keep the original Sanwa JLF stick, or switch it out for a Happ? The Sanwa stick is kinda loose for my tastes; my dashes aren't as tight as I'd like.

I switched my Square Gate out for the Octagonal Restrictor Plate. They make a true circle gate, but for MK fatalities you will want 8 points of contact to make it easier to pull off finishers... Also you can order a Seimitsu spring ( I really like the LS-33 spring, but if you like a LOT of tension you might want the LS-55) to augment the existing spring and increase the tension in your current Sanwa JLF stick. These mods (along with the bat-top - of course) have made a world of difference! Happy modding!

Last edited:
I switched my Square Gate out for the Octagonal Restrictor Plate. They make a true circle gate, but for MK fatalities you will want 8 points of contact to make it easier to pull off finishers... Also you can order a Seimitsu spring ( I really like the LS-33 spring, but if you like a LOT of tension you might want the LS-55) to augment the existing spring and increase the tension in your current Sanwa JLF stick. These mods (along with the bat-top - of course) have made a world of difference! Happy modding!

Nice. I've heard the octagonal plate increases the throw a bit on the JLF, but I'm certainly not a high-level player and I doubt the difference will affect my play. QCF motions are still incredibly awkward for me on the square, so that's the main reason I'd like to try an alternative.

Last edited:
I got my MK panel a week or so ago from MadCatz. The more SF like layout makes it much easier to transition between games (SF and MK) without being totally mind ****ed for a few minutes. Also, it does feel much more natural to hit multiple buttons since the button placement is much tighter. I'd say this panel is the way to go, especially if you prefer Sanwa or Seimitsu sticks and buttons. I'll probably be running this panel over my classic MK panel (Art's Hobbies).

Btw, just a little warning about those planning to use a bat top on a Sanwa stick. Since the Bat top is so much skinnier (than the ball top) it makes the throw range of the joystick seem a lot larger. The whole point of these sticks are to do quick, short motions. When you put on a bat top the stick feels way too losse, and the motions you have to make seem larger, which doesn't work well for precision. Adding a circle or octo gate with the bat top makes the throw of the stick feel even more ridiculous. Really, if you prefer American sticks I would go with another option that will let you use one. Trying to turn Sanwa parts into something they weren't designed for isn't the best option. Run square gate + ball top or just go with a different setup!

Btw #2, Art Hobbies (http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/) will have plexi covers for the MadCatz MK panel soon. They look great, and make it much easier to change art. This MK panel is hideous so I'm ordering one asap lol.

Last edited: