MK2 Rev 4.2

ElderGodRy

Hey guys. First post here! I bought an MK2 arcade and it was delivered today (finally!). It is in amazing shape! Original deticated cab. This game is rev 4.2 . . I know close to nothing about this.. It's a hack right? Is there any history about it anywhere? Did Midway make it? It seems close enough to 3.1 that I don't mind keeping it in there. The deadpool glitches are fun and it's cool that Noob Saibot and pong are a lot easier to get to. I was wondering how rare this rev is? Is it worth any money? All I know about it is the small list of changes from 3.1 . So if anyone could help me with any info about this revision that would be great! Thanks!

Also if anyone knows if there is any truth to the Liu Kang red dragon and Kung Lao bones in hat(???) fatalities that would be awesome! If there is anything you guys would want me to try out on this game I'd be happy to do so!

Thanks all!
Ryan

P.S. Does anyone know if this is like an upgrade card I can just pull out to bring the game back to 3.1? I don't know too much about arcades but I plan on learning.

Those Liu Kang and Kung Lao rumors are not true.

Welcome to TRMK:DD.

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah I'm fairly confident that those fatalities are just rumors as well as all the other unconfirmed changes. I just don't understand why there is no history to this revision.. I really want to know why it was made. It's not a huge difference to 3.1. I was thinking maybe midway was half way through with another revision and decided to scrap it and 4.2 was the unfinished revision? Or if it was just some guys in their basement screwing around?? Hahaha Man this is going to frustrate me till I find out. Does anyone here know Ed Boon personally? I'd love to be able to ask him about it..

Hi Ryan and welcome!

I've found some info about MK II rev 4.2:

REV. 4.2 (hack) :
* Faster Uppercuts.
* Jax has a faster Face Smash.
* Jax's Face Smash has Liu Kang's sound FX.
* Cages Shadow Kick goes twice as far.
* Cage has full time Red Shadow moves.
* Multiple Dead Pool Fatality (Normal Uppercut will knock the person in, then you can continue to hit them while they're in the acid).
* Play against Noob Saibot after 6 wins.
* Play Pong on battle 16 instead of 250.
* Fight Smoke whenever you catch the "Toasty" guy (not just the portal stage)

Check out this link (All changes for every revision are listed here, I hope it has some usefull info for you):
http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=mortal-kombat-ii&page=detail&id=1676

Hi Ryan and welcome!

I've found some info about MK II rev 4.2:

REV. 4.2 (hack) :
* Faster Uppercuts.
* Jax has a faster Face Smash.
* Jax's Face Smash has Liu Kang's sound FX.
* Cages Shadow Kick goes twice as far.
* Cage has full time Red Shadow moves.
* Multiple Dead Pool Fatality (Normal Uppercut will knock the person in, then you can continue to hit them while they're in the acid).
* Play against Noob Saibot after 6 wins.
* Play Pong on battle 16 instead of 250.
* Fight Smoke whenever you catch the "Toasty" guy (not just the portal stage)

Check out this link (All changes for every revision are listed here, I hope it has some usefull info for you):
http://www.arcade-history.com/?n=mortal-kombat-ii&page=detail&id=1676

Thanks! I've seen this on a few websites but thats the extent of it. Noone has any other information it seems. Pong is fun now that I can actually play it (250 matches is just ... too much.. haha)

One other thing I found on 4.2 ... When you get to Jade, weather you win or lose to her, you end up at the second to bottom of the ladder.. You can keep doing this over and over for the longest one player game of Mortal Kombat 2 you heve ever seen. Haha..

By the way.. here is a shot of the game... Picture quality isn't great because it was taken from my phone. Everything original. Even the original buttons and original Wico P360 joysticks. All working. Not bad for a 20 year old machine.. I just ordered all replacement buttons and some Happ competition red joysticks for it yesterday. Its nice these lasted 20 years but I wan't some parts that I know will last 10-20 more.

180458_1699990791791_1598573261_31534258_5774864_n.jpg