Jade's Metal Thread

Re: XxJadexX's Metal Thread

Metalcore is alright in small doses. I end up getting bored of the genre after awhile. I used to listen the hell out of AILD, but I've lost interest with them recently. Frail Words Collapse was an awesome album.

Trivium, no thanks. Been there, done that. And they SUCK. :p

KSE, got super lame after The End of Heartache. Loved the old lineup with Jesse. And I still spin Alive or Just Breathing every now and then. Which brings me to this question, has anyone heard Times of Grace? They just formed this year I think, but its pretty much KSE with Jesse. Except.. not... if that makes sense. Its alright. Don't completely dig it myself.

Chimaira is the shit, yet they're not really Metalcore, just straight-up Metal. But I've seen them labeled as such, which is understandable. Had to mention them.

And.. Parkway Drive is ****ing awesome and I can't wait to see them in March. Very consistent band.

That's all I got.

I'm not much of a metal fan, but I am a huge fan of nu metal !!

\m/ Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit \m/

And.. Parkway Drive is ****ing awesome and I can't wait to see them in March. Very consistent band.

Their success is nothing short of incredible. Makes me proud. Having gone to their shows when they first started out, just a hype band in the hardcore scene, and by some freak occurrence, seeing them become Australia's biggest heavy music export. Barely any metal band even makes it outside our country.

I must admit that while I like the metal genre as a whole, I'm not quite educated in the many different styles or "cores" that are out there, and I think this is a good starter guide to get me in the know. Thank you Jade!

DOOM METAL

What is it?​

Doom metal is a form of heavy metal music. It consists of low tuned guitars and slower tempos, with a rather heavy sound. As the name of the genre suggests, the lyrical content usually revolves around despair, suffering, depression, anger, doom and dread. Black Sabbath are credited with influencing the genre, while American and English bands actually got the genre up on it's feet in the 1980's. Most of the vocals are clean, though other types of doom (which I will get into) consist of screaming, shouting, shrieks or growls.

Some examples of doom metal bands:

There are many different types of doom metal:

Funeral doom is the fusion of death metal, doom metal and dark ambient, with keyboards/synthesizers, slow tempo, depressing lyrical content, and heavily distorted electric guitars. An example of funeral doom:

Death/doom (taken from my what is...death metal section) is basically doom metal's slow tempos and melancholic atmosphere with the elements of death metal. An example of death/doom:

Stoner doom/stoner metal/psychedelic doom has a very heavy bass and guitar/bass effects are often used. This is personally my favourite type of doom metal. Some examples of stoner/psychedelic doom bands:

Drone doom consists of repeated chords/notes throughout the song with growled/screamed vocals, though vocals are not always included. Some examples of drone doom bands:

Traditional doom consists of low notes and the music is a little faster. The vocals are mostly clean and the music is heavy, while the lyrics are dark and eerie. Some examples of traditional doom bands:

Sludge doom is the fusion of doom metal, hardcore punk and Southern rock. Like most doom, the songs are slow and heavy. Lyrical content usually revolves around drug abuse, suffering, anger towards society and politics. Vocals are shouted or screamed. Some examples of sludge doom bands:

Black doom/blackened doom metal is black metal and doom metal together, with the vocals usually shrieks, like in black metal, combined with the slow, heavy sound of doom metal. An example of black doom:

Epic doom has clean, even 'opera-like', vocals with lyrics revolving around mythology/fantasy. Some examples of epic doom bands:

That site is a bit elitist

This is the problem I've run into with being a metal fan in recent years: I'm beyond done with being condescending towards people who don't like the music I like. I love metal, and I love the general togetherness of the community, but I hate the attitude that so many metalheads have toward "lesser" metalheads and non-metalheads. For that reason I find myself avoiding the vast majority of metal forums.

Metal-archives.com classifies them as Technical Post-thrash. Which I can't say I know EXACTLY what that means LOL.

Pfft, I don't have a clue what post-anything means. It's one of those terms that I see all the time yet never with an explanation. How the **** can you be "post-thrash" if thrash still exists? :shot:

None So Vile is a timeless classic and one of my all-time favorite death metal albums.

WP is my favorite, but yeah, I can't argue with that at all. NSV is absolutely a DM classic. I'm glad you get the whole Jon Levasseur thing, though, 'cause it seems a lot of others don't. I'll admit that I don't go as nuts for Lord Worm as most, but when I see people saying Cryptopsy needs him back in the fold above all else to make the band good again, I'm completely blown away. No matter how good a DM vocalist he was, he wasn't the one writing all those insane riffs that defined Cryptopsy's sound. Slapping Lord Worm's vocals on The Unspoken King would only result in a shitty album that just happens to have Lord Worm's vocals.

Okay, with all this Cryptopsy talk, I gotta post one of my favorites:

I love heavy metal!!!

my favourite band period is Disturbed!!

ps. how do i create a thread??

Sweet! To create a thread you go into the discussion forum you want your thread to be in. From there if you look at the top left, there is a blue oval button that says "Start a new Thread" or something like that.... Press that and you are good to go. Welcome to the boards! If you have any other questions you can send a private message to any staff member here on the forums.

I feel like I'm at home.

If you (the reader) wants to get into the genre:

Death: Sceptic (the best Technical Death I've ever heard. Jacek Hiro is a beast, and has developed his own style with no problems whatsoever. It's a tie between Blind Existence and Pathetic Being for the title of best album, imo);
Thrash(/Death): Holy Moses (Sabina Classen is the Queen of Metal, period. The song World Chaos ****ing thrashes my soul. The New Machine of Liechtenstein being the album I recommend the most)
Progressive Black: Opera IX (Cadaveria>>>>Everyone else. The Black Opera is my recommendation)
Blackened Death: Adorior (Author of Incest is pretty much the embodiment of a post-apocaliptic atmosphere)
Blackened Thrash: Destroyer 666 (any album will do, although I recommend Phoenix Rising)

Schuldiner died before I got the chance to meet him in person...
I believe he wrote Voice of the Soul gathering all the sorrow from the Metal community. Such a beautiful piece of art... Looks like the instruments are indeed showing some human emotion.

Edit: I forgot about Thrash lol. You can't go wrong with Death Angel. Straight-foward Thrash Bay Area-ish.

Last edited:

Anyone else like Dio? Rainbow in the Dark is one of the best songs ever made <3

I love heavy metal and other type of rock my favorite I'm listening to is Dir En Grey wicked band,cradle of filth and one that is not that heavy but entertaining is called Lordi
and I agree with xxJadexx I love Dio

^ Best song they had with Dio was Heaven and Hell, imo, but nothing will ever beat Ozzy with Sabbath.

*shrug*... Maybe I should make TWC's Musical thread or such. Or Klassical ;}
I've never understood the charm with metal... Or rap for that matter.
But everyone is entitled to their own taste. I'm all for that. ;}
I can enjoy some of it. but when someone starts scream/growl like they have an otter or a piece of christmas tree stuck in their throat I just turn it off. Maybe it's not very "viking" of me but still... Growling, young children/teens with Recorders and Rap.... That's about the only forms of music I can't stand.

Last edited:

NIN!
NINE INCH NAILS ALL THE WAY.....

Trent is a genius.

His 20 year career spans many many genres...

Ronnie James Dio FOREVER \m/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2n12113MJg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJMqVwnzpII&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEV4Tov1GBM

Dio was and will ALWAYS be the God of Metal and Voice of Thunder. he will be missed, one of the best dies suddenly due to stomach cancer. he recorded on final song,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBRsr7AAVbo

bring back the DIO and send all the crap we call music now to hell for this one time only god