Will there REALLY be a change in the story?

mortalkombat

I'm starting to think that this idea of "change" is merely an intentionally, distorted truth to increase the hype.

It was said that there "might" be possibilities of twists of things to occur in a way "we might not expect", but that actually doesn't mean it won't happen the same way... it could just be simply re-told in a perspective or interpretation that is totally different and surprising (for instance, Kuai Liang's motivation is revenge... many did not know this, but the game was able to reemphasize old plot details to surprise us with old details).

Even Raiden's distortion of the past could even be possibly part of expanding the original plot (not actually changing it). Please read this. I think it's possible that Raiden has already created a time paradox in the past and things are merely repeating themselves. We're all intentionally lead to "believe" Raiden can change things when in reality we're all pawns of destiny and doomed to repeat history no matter what we do... oh, and it's just another misconstrued propaganda to hype us up and get us talking.

If you think about Quan Chi's Armageddon ending, it was said that there was some source of distortion in the universe, and the Elder Gods have been trying to find it. Perhaps it's been Raiden all along...

Also consider: we actually know very little about the first three games because of limited technology and story telling. There is plenty to go off of with just the original story as it is.

Last edited:
Of course we would want to buy a new good with new graphics and a re-telling of older events. That is why the rumored MK HD was so popular, yes?

I REALLY hope that they overhaul the story, it gets kind of lackluster after MK3. This way they can introduce the post umk3 characters in new ways. Like instead of Havik being from the Chaos Realm, he is the resurrected leader of the Black Dragon Clan.

+rep for this thread. I love discussing alternatives to stories!

Of course we would want to buy a new good with new graphics and a re-telling of older events. That is why the rumored MK HD was so popular, yes?

The thing is, with this new information to the MK storyline so many things could happen but then might not.

Like Raiden tells Liu Kang about it, so he rushes headfirst amd impetously into battle and then might end up dying (which would suck) but in the same instance, characters like Sub-Zero and Scorpion could lose their relevancy later because maybe Raiden notes that Quan Chi was an active participant in the victory of Kahn so maybe he'll lock him up in the NetherRealm leaving him there so Scorpion never finds out that Quan really DID kill his family.

There's a potentiality so great that it could probably erase some favorite characters from the MK universe.

I REALLY hope that they overhaul the story, it gets kind of lackluster after MK3. This way they can introduce the post umk3 characters in new ways. Like instead of Havik being from the Chaos Realm, he is the resurrected leader of the Black Dragon Clan.

+rep for this thread. I love discussing alternatives to stories!
I think the story is just fine as it is. They could just make it even better be simply reemphasizing certain plot details and connect everything to make more sense. I think this is what they might be doing.

I dont think the STORY itself is going to change that much. Shao Kahn and all other villians are still gonna try n take over earthrealm while the heroes do their best to prevent it.
More than anything jist some key events that we know very well might change. I think things will still play out to the very end like in Armageddon but with the good guys having tuat advantage!

I believe there will be some significant changes to the core story, tons of things they can do with a butterfly effect.

It was said that while Raiden's changing things, he's screwing things up, so I expect some little and some drastic changes to the stuff we know.

Am I the only one that remembers interviews with Boon sometime around when Armageddon was first out (either right before or right after) where he said they were going to basically kill off most of the characters in the MK universe? Now I didn't play MK vs DCU, so if something happened in that game that is pertinent, then please forgive my ignorance (although I also seem to recall people behind Mortal Kombat saying that game wasn't canon to the story). So I guess my question is:

Whatever happened to that whole idea of Armageddon being the last appearance for most of the MK roster? Is the whole premise of this game a way of possibly circumventing that? If so that is a cheap way out IMO. I'm going to enjoy this hurrah of the classic MK 1-3 roster, but I really think after this NRS does need to consider starting fresh. I'm talking no Sub-Zero, no Scorpion, no Liu Kang, no Shao Kahn as boss, no Black Dragon, almost nobody from MKDA - MKA, almost a virtually clean slate (with few exceptions. I mean like a handful of unexpected characters at most make it through this game and into the next one in the line). I understand the desire of some fans to want to cling onto what they've known and loved for 20+ years, but for the betterment of the series everyone needs to let go of most of these icons so NRS can freshen the roster up for the next game and take the series in a new direction

(I know they tried this before with MKDA, and that served its purpose to reinvigorate the series after MK4 and the demise of the arcade almost sucked the life out of it. Liu Kang meeting his end at Shang Tsung's hands is still my favorite moment in the entire series, because I got sick and tired of him always winning every "tournament". They need another new approach. You can only tell so many stories with the same characters before it gets old. Do you really want to be playing Mortal Kombat in 2025 with Sub-Zero and Scorpion STILL fighting??? I don't).

I think their gunna go deeper into the story of the first 3 games and change up a few things along the way. We're going to see first hand what happened to all of these characters during these games instead of just bios and endings.

Am I the only one that remembers interviews with Boon sometime around when Armageddon was first out (either right before or right after) where he said they were going to basically kill off most of the characters in the MK universe? Now I didn't play MK vs DCU, so if something happened in that game that is pertinent, then please forgive my ignorance (although I also seem to recall people behind Mortal Kombat saying that game wasn't canon to the story). So I guess my question is:

Whatever happened to that whole idea of Armageddon being the last appearance for most of the MK roster? Is the whole premise of this game a way of possibly circumventing that? If so that is a cheap way out IMO. I'm going to enjoy this hurrah of the classic MK 1-3 roster, but I really think after this NRS does need to consider starting fresh. I'm talking no Sub-Zero, no Scorpion, no Liu Kang, no Shao Kahn as boss, no Black Dragon, almost nobody from MKDA - MKA, almost a virtually clean slate (with few exceptions. I mean like a handful of unexpected characters at most make it through this game and into the next one in the line). I understand the desire of some fans to want to cling onto what they've known and loved for 20+ years, but for the betterment of the series everyone needs to let go of most of these icons so NRS can freshen the roster up for the next game and take the series in a new direction

(I know they tried this before with MKDA, and that served its purpose to reinvigorate the series after MK4 and the demise of the arcade almost sucked the life out of it. Liu Kang meeting his end at Shang Tsung's hands is still my favorite moment in the entire series, because I got sick and tired of him always winning every "tournament". They need another new approach. You can only tell so many stories with the same characters before it gets old. Do you really want to be playing Mortal Kombat in 2025 with Sub-Zero and Scorpion STILL fighting??? I don't).

I don't like this idea bro. There are WAY too many questions left unanswered for them to start fresh with the roster. I hope that they erase the story that came in MK4. It all went to hell in MK4 story wise. The Sub-Zero and Scorpion Rivalry stopped pretty much completely, Reptile became EVERYONE'S *****, he was always looking for a master, that pissed me off so much! He was a leader in his old realm, and now all of a sudden he wants to suck everyone up! Not to mention all the booty characters they added. With the story they are introducing now, they may be able to save the Sub-Zero Scorpion rivalry. I think this change is gravely needed.

I'm not sure if people are understanding me point. Everyone's ideas of Raiden actually changing things is just that... an idea. They have said they will change the way things happen, but they could still technically happen the same way but, perhaps, in a new perspective.

It has been said that Raiden is "changing things", but what is he changing exactly? Maybe it's just an illusion that he's changing things and is really repeating the exact same cycle in the past. Look at Raiden's bio on the MK site... it's worded in a way that makes it seem like his main motivation was his visions of Armageddon. I have a feeling they might USE Armageddon AS the reason for creating Mortal Kombat and choosing Liu Kang as champion (and Raiden thinking he's changing things for the better by doing so).

It was said that while Raiden's changing things, he's screwing things up, so I expect some little and some drastic changes to the stuff we know.
Where did you hear the underlined?

It wouldn't make any sense for everything to stay the same. That would mean the same events would happen, thus MK4-MK:A would likely happen, and that's defeating the whole purpose. You've got to take into account the realistic reasoning of retelling the story and rebooting the franchise. Sure, the "storyline" reason is that Raiden needs to change some things in order to not have Armageddon happen, but the realistic reason is they painted themselves into a corner storyline wise. You can't go killing off 98% of your characters. The fans have come to love these characters, from the extremely popular to the small diehard fanbased ones. It would be insane to throw it all away because you failed to keep the story fresh and endless.

I see this is their way of saying "we ****ed up, now it's time to go back and fix the crap that led to this.". Plus, they have so much more capabilities and possibilities now with such advanced technology in comparison to old arcades and systems back in 1992-1994. They are going to rewrite the story, keep the same basics and characters, but this time it's gonna be much more detailed and fleshed out, and it's going to make sense. They can take the story wherever they wish, without worrying about space limitations. That's why certain characters will likely bypass certain aspects that were only created due to needing an excuse why they were simply a palette swap(Likely why Mileena no longer looks like Kitana, because she doesn't have to, so they'll likely drop that part of her in the story.).

Regardless, I expect plenty of changes, from big to small, important to non-important. They have a chance to remake their most favorited in the series, but make them using more time, more recources, and much better technology. Why would they just keep things the same? Why would they not revitalize certain characters that were unimportant before? Why would they not change certain story aspects or character traits that were simply done because they lacked the space or technology to make them the way they desired? It'd be very foolish of them to just keep things the same, besides all of the realistic reasons, even the storyline reason we were given warrants some changes. Nobody wants Armageddon to happen. I sure as hell don't want to play through the same events from MK4-MK:A. They need to change things and take the story down an alternate path, in order to keep fans interested and curious.

They have every reason to change things and make things better in every way possible. So to say it's all a marketing ploy is a bit odd. They get no benefit in doing that, in the long run.

It's probably going to be a mix of the original story and some new stuff to make it interesting and fresh.

With the story they are introducing now, they may be able to save the Sub-Zero Scorpion rivalry. I think this change is gravely needed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to this game. I'm stoked to see what elements change, and seeing all of my favorite arenas and characters coming back. But I really don't want to have Mortal Kombat 17 in whatever year that would be, 2030 or something like that, still featuring Liu Kang, Scorpion, Raiden, Sub Zero, Reptile, and everyone else trying to take down Shao Kahn and stop his "latest plot". They've really stretched that almost to death.

Plus, what's the point of having a game whose signature elements that separate it from every other fighter (I'm talking about the Fatality) never utilized in story mode? Nobody ever dies!!!!!! They keep coming back. NRS doesn't have the guts to stand up to fan demand and say "We realize you love these characters, but their stories are stale, we can only reinvent them so many times, we feel that they've run their course and its time to bring in some fresh characters, fresh storylines, and take the Mortal Kombat story in a new direction". This new time travel thing with Raiden is great, and a great way to go back and relive the glory games with a new story twist. My question is though, after this is done what's next?

They tried to kill Cage off after MK2, but wound up bringing him back with this ridiculous story of how his soul found his body. Similar with Liu Kang. They can't keep doing that. They need to have the guts to say "we're getting rid of these guys, permanently, because we think we can make a better game with new characters and a new story. Give us a chance to prove it." I guess at the end of the day there's no payoff, none of these rivalries get really settled because if someone gets killed, his soul can just wander around for a while until it finds his body again (or someone defeats Shang Tsung). It'd be nice if several of these rivalries got finished, for good, and some of these characters met their demise (permanently) so new stories and rivalries could be forged.

They have a chance to remake their most favorited in the series, but make them using more time, more recources, and much better technology.
This is exactly why I think they will keep the story the same. I never said I didn't think they wouldn't flesh it out. That is all the more reason to keep the story the same... to flesh it out more and make us appreciate it more.

I agree that they will change minor details to make the plot more connected and coherent, but overall, I think they might not change the whole story because they have a lot to off of from the original stuff as it is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really looking forward to this game. I'm stoked to see what elements change, and seeing all of my favorite arenas and characters coming back. But I really don't want to have Mortal Kombat 17 in whatever year that would be, 2030 or something like that, still featuring Liu Kang, Scorpion, Raiden, Sub Zero, Reptile, and everyone else trying to take down Shao Kahn and stop his "latest plot". They've really stretched that almost to death.

Plus, what's the point of having a game whose signature elements that separate it from every other fighter (I'm talking about the Fatality) never utilized in story mode? Nobody ever dies!!!!!! They keep coming back. NRS doesn't have the guts to stand up to fan demand and say "We realize you love these characters, but their stories are stale, we can only reinvent them so many times, we feel that they've run their course and its time to bring in some fresh characters, fresh storylines, and take the Mortal Kombat story in a new direction". This new time travel thing with Raiden is great, and a great way to go back and relive the glory games with a new story twist. My question is though, after this is done what's next?

They tried to kill Cage off after MK2, but wound up bringing him back with this ridiculous story of how his soul found his body. Similar with Liu Kang. They can't keep doing that. They need to have the guts to say "we're getting rid of these guys, permanently, because we think we can make a better game with new characters and a new story. Give us a chance to prove it." I guess at the end of the day there's no payoff, none of these rivalries get really settled because if someone gets killed, his soul can just wander around for a while until it finds his body again (or someone defeats Shang Tsung). It'd be nice if several of these rivalries got finished, for good, and some of these characters met their demise (permanently) so new stories and rivalries could be forged.

The only problem is, the MK team sucks at doing new things. That is why they are doing this reboot in the first place. They ****ed up when they said Armageddon was the last game. The next game was non-cannon, and the one now is a reboot. I also don't think that they'd ever permanently kill off any of the Klassic characters, that would alienate too many fans regardless of how awesome the new guys are. The fans would say "Oh he's cool but he's no Scorpion".