Mortal Kombat 9 Fatalities-Better Perhaps?

MK3 certainly is no joke; it's quite a great game overall.

But you know, he does have a point. The percentage of fatalities in MK3 that are just plain silly is far greater than in previous MK's...

I can't disagree with that. And that's why we should never see those silly fatalities ever again. :p

So what!? Its the most ridiculous fatalities that we end up remembering for our entire life! Its the ones where we stood in awe the first time we saw it that hold a special place in our hearts, its THOSE fatalities that make Mortal Kombat the great fighting game that it is.

I would love to see some of the fatalities incorporate the skeleton, muscle tissue, and skin rotting (Shang Tsung).

For example:
I would like Sindel to have some variation of her scream fatality, where the skin and flesh rip off of the bone.
If Shang Tsung has his Soul Steal fatality back, the flesh should start rotting and turn green-ish, with the organs falling out of the body cavity.

I'm hoping that the fatalities have more of this type of variation, rather than them all being dismemberments.

Not true, mortalkombat. Humans, at least myself, play video games to escape reality. I'll play any RPG under the planet, and those certainly do not have "believable circumstances." But I still indulge myself in them.
It is so true! My point was that you can create many strange and unlikely worlds but as long as you can convince the person to forgo your own experiences and memories of your reality and assume under the certain circumstances that this story could happen in some world far off from your own that you have no experience or knowledge in.

Mortal Kombat has convinced us that this story could happen. MKI's story was on an isolated island that no one knew of... with martial arts competitions that were "underground" and had participants from secret societies. That's the beauty of it all... You can't disprove it so it's believable if you let yourself.

So when you have had two games where fatalities involved people getting sliced in half, getting their heads torn off, etc... it just breaks you from this immersion when you're trying to perform a serious fatality but then suddenly Liu Kang becomes a giant arcade and smashes their opponent to death..?

It is so true! My point was that you can create many strange and unlikely worlds but as long as you can convince the person to forgo your own experiences and memories of your reality and assume under the certain circumstances that this story could happen in some world far off from your own that you have no experience or knowledge in.

Mortal Kombat has convinced us that this story could happen. MKI's story was on an isolated island that no one knew of... with martial arts competitions that were "underground" and had participants from secret societies. That's the beauty of it all... You can't disprove it so it's believable if you let yourself.

So when you have had two games where fatalities involved people getting sliced in half, getting their heads torn off, etc... it just breaks you from this immersion when you're trying to perform a serious fatality but then suddenly Liu Kang becomes a giant arcade and smashes their opponent to death..?

Okay, I can see the point you were trying to make now. But can't I use the old atheist argument "If you can't prove it how does it exist?" :p When I'm playing MK, I don't feel as though I'm immersed in the game, like I'm Johnny Cage or something. I feel like I'm in real life, playing Mortal Kombat. :p

I've found the immersion quality is only prevalent in RPGs, at least to me personally. But I can see from your other threads that you are an avid story fan, so I can't exactly say what you are saying is wrong. It could happen, but it is obviously made up for the purpose of the game.

Obviously I am not a big story guy, though I do like a good one, but I really don't think it breaks me from the immersion when Liu Kang does his arcade drop fatality. It's just a stupid fatality, I don't feel like "Oh boy, I forgot I was playing a game! Luckily that unrealistic fatality reminded me! Oh yeah, and it sucks!"

I would be upset if Kitana's kiss of death of death didn't return. It's her trademark fatality, there hasn't been one game she was in that didn't use it as a fatality. They even used it in mK vs dcu even though it was one of the more violent fatalities. Plus it would be nice to see someone completely explode than just more dismemberment.

Also about the logicalness of fatalities... It's a video game.

Mortal Kombat Armageddon would like to have a word with you.

^ What does that supposedly to mean?

I would imagine a lot of video games are played after awhile once you get used to the mechanics then it becomes playing out of habit and the fun lies in exploring new ways to outwit your opponent and for more efficient killings. But I would have to ask what lured you to that game in the first place..

I think they're keeping the more creative fatalities in the shadows until we buy the game...i mean think about it, most of the ones revealed have just been a re-vamp's of the old fatalities or simply sword slice 'n' dice ones.

^ What does that supposedly to mean?

I would imagine a lot of video games are played after awhile once you get used to the mechanics then it becomes playing out of habit and the fun lies in exploring new ways to outwit your opponent and for more efficient killings. But I would have to ask what lured you to that game in the first place..

Cl2imson posted that every game Kitana was in, she had her Kiss of Death fatality, but she didn't have it in Mortal Kombat Armageddon..hence the 'Mortal Kombat Armageddon would like to have a word with you.'

hey i never knew a person had to enjoy a videogame by trying to prove it plausible, but hey if thats how you roll.....

if you think a game like mario (for example) is plausible you must of had too many shrooms

Do you expect Shao Kahn or Bowser to suddenly become good people? The games follow some line of reasoning. However, Mario is not a good example because it's original attraction was not obviously story... it was simply the challenge of jumping over obsticals and making it to the end point in time.

still a classic but do people actually buy and play games for it reasoning no because some of the most successful games of all time probably wouldn't sell and by "most successful" i mean games that have had a lasting effect ( mortal kombat, mario donkey kong, zelda, street fighter etc)

@Daryui

Well Clearly, no one had fatalities in that game I didn't think I would have to mention it. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that. But it doesn't count, because every game that incorporates fatalities, she has it. I though I could get that message even though I was vague.

Ok, I see what everyone's point is on the fact this is a fictional game and that sort of thing and as to questioning the fact if a video game makes sense or not, yeah ok I get you. I should have written it a LOT more carefully.

I suppose what annoyed me about some of the old fatalities is the unnecessary explosions of gore and blood and that sort of junk. Don't get me wrong, blood and gore are a treat, but it just seemed a bit desperate when you might have Li Mei doing a super combo that results in an explosion for no actual reason, (thats just an example). It just seemed desperate to get an actual kill out of her when she was another character who offered almost little to nothing.

So what!? Its the most ridiculous fatalities that we end up remembering for our entire life! Its the ones where we stood in awe the first time we saw it that hold a special place in our hearts, its THOSE fatalities that make Mortal Kombat the great fighting game that it is.

I agree and disagree. It is the ones where we stood in awe the first time... but those aren't the most ridiculous. The ones I remember aweing me were stuff like Sub-Zero's spine rip in MKI, Baraka's impalement in MKII, etc.... fatalities that are awesome, but not ridiculous. MKI and MKII's fatalities weren't necessarily realistic, but they weren't the nonsense that the MK3 fatalities were. In fact, I can't think of a single character who appeared in MK3 AND another MK game where they didn't have better fatalities in the other game than MK3.

still a classic but do people actually buy and play games for it reasoning no because some of the most successful games of all time probably wouldn't sell and by "most successful" i mean games that have had a lasting effect ( mortal kombat, mario donkey kong, zelda, street fighter etc)
I would say, though, that the reason fatalities were popular was, besides the first significantly shocking amount of gore in video game history, was because it was surprisingly realistic, at least for it's time.

Ok, I see what everyone's point is on the fact this is a fictional game and that sort of thing and as to questioning the fact if a video game makes sense or not, yeah ok I get you. I should have written it a LOT more carefully.

I suppose what annoyed me about some of the old fatalities is the unnecessary explosions of gore and blood and that sort of junk. Don't get me wrong, blood and gore are a treat, but it just seemed a bit desperate when you might have Li Mei doing a super combo that results in an explosion for no actual reason, (thats just an example). It just seemed desperate to get an actual kill out of her when she was another character who offered almost little to nothing.

I personally think Li Mei's Fatality was a form of brutality. Because they ended in explosions, and due to using her energy to quickly hit a bunch of sensitive points in a powerful short oamount of time caused them to explode. I thought it was really cool.....

I would say, though, that the reason fatalities were popular was, besides the first significantly shocking amount of gore in video game history, was because it was surprisingly realistic, at least for it's time.

And I would say it was because they were mindless violence. Can you prove me wrong?

MK1 became popular and was renown as one of the first games to produce shocking gory and (for the time) realistic deaths. That is close to the truth and it involved my point of a fair amount of realism to draw us in.