DLC complaints

Is DLC nickle and diming us to death or are we getting what we pay for.

• Total voters

whtillnvrb

I kind of went off on a rant over on Joystiq about people complaining about DLC and here is what I think about the subject.

I have been following this game since it was announced and you are getting well over $60 worth of game. 26 plus characters each with at least 2 real fatalities, to costumes and their own completely unique moves and stances. A huge number of classic stages that look beautiful and many having their on stage fatalities. Numerous game mode including a story mode much like MK vs. DCU only over 3 times as long and in dept. The most in dept fighting engine ever in a Mortal Kombat and the ability to fit any bugs on the fly with out having to wait for a patch and an online mode with several modes of play for it as well.

That is more than any other Mortal Kombat game that you have paid for and they are giving you a choice to download extra content after the game is out. They are not leaving anything out of the game they are simply add content after release and continuing to support the game after launch. How can people complain about that? They have even stated that if you don't download the extra characters they are trying to make it where you can still fight against them online if some one else has downloaded them rather force you to download the new content to play online like some other games. If anyone chooses to not download the DLC then that is their choice but this is one time that the game industry is not nickle and diming us.

Every one is entitled to their own opinion and that is mine. How do you feel about it? Is DLC nickle and diming us to death or are we getting what we pay for?

Wait a sec, who was complaining?

I'm all for DLC. Nothing wrong with it most of the time.

The DLC for SF4 however was ridiculous. Paying for something that was already on the disk.

The DLC for SF4 however was ridiculous. Paying for something that was already on the disk.

There has been a few on here but there is a lot of it on Joystiq and that is what got me started. I think complaining is a good thing. It keeps the game makers honest but I think Neitherrealm is doing it right. Just want to see what the TRMK community thought about the subject.

By the way totally agree with you about SF4 and SSF4. I bought a few new costumes when I first got it but then I realized that they where kind of cool to look at for a couple plays but they add nothing to the game really and cost way too much.

DLC is of course a good thing, I just don't feel we should be knowing too much about it, at least not yet.

DLC by way of tweaking minor in game bugs, is awesome.
As long as they don't chrage like $5 for ever single piece of DLC, I'm fine with it. LOL
I love the idea of DLC and the fact that other characters such as Rain and Robo-Smoke, may be added to the roster.

Hell if it wasn't for DLC .... Uh .... nevermind.
I won't mention the unmentionable.

Oh and I just want to say I hate console exclusive DLC. Not so much on this game but I hate it after launch. At least with this game you know before hand that one system will get something that the other wont. I hate it when they spring it after the fact. It's like well I guess you bought the wrong one, oh well buy another or miss out. At least you can decide what copy you want with this game and know what you are going to get.

Ed if you are listening some time down the line don't say well PS3 gets Rain and Xbox 360 get Robo-Smoke please.

My complaint for DLC is that things that are DLC most of the time are things that should have been on the disc already at launch. Companies hold things back just so they can charge extra for it at a later time.

My complaint for DLC is that things that are DLC most of the time are things that should have been on the disc already at launch. Companies hold things back just so they can charge extra for it at a later time.

THIS OH YEAH!
I mean: why "Toasty" isn't in standard game and I need to pay 5$ to download it? I pay 60$ for a complete game, not an incomplete one. Same thing for Sub Zero, Reptile and all the sh*ts are coming out in DLCs.

Anyway DLCs are nice thing ^^

People just see DLC as more stuff they have to pay for, without actually figuring in the value of what they are getting. Granted, there's some DLC in games etc. that is a rip off, or cases where stuff is on the disc but they lock it and make you pay to use it(Capcom SFIV outfits), but not all DLC is like that. There's DLC that is worth the amount it costs, and adds more to make the game last longer. Unfortunately, people just overreact and make it seem like everything should be in the game, and whatever isn't, should be free. It's ignorance really.

I agree with you, in that the game offers plenty to make it's $60 price tag, worth it. Any DLC that comes after, is up to the consumer to decide whether it's worth their money. Some people may value characters, fatalities, stages, and outfits more than others, thus find a small price worth it. Others however, think that small amount is too much. I'd say a couple characters for $5 is worth it. Or a few attires for $5 is worth it. It all depends on who you are, and how much you value these additions. That's what's important to realize, that many people refuse to accept, is this is just extras. It's optional. You are getting you're $60 worth in your initial purchase, but if you wish to add on to that stuff, you should expect to pay a little to get it. Content takes time and money to make.

To me personally, $5-$10 for quality add ons that will add an additional 5-10 hours of enjoyment to my game, is totally worth it. That's not a lot of money, and really it's 1 meal. Instead of eating out, have soup or something, then spend that money on the DLC. My point being, it's not like they are asking you to pay an arm and a leg for extra content if you wish. It's pretty minimal to anyone who has a job, or even an allowance.

if you're getting more hours of fun from that content, then it makes it worth it. 2 characters for $5-$10 will likely get you 5-10 more hours of playtime just using them. That's a 1 dollar per hour ratio, and that's really good when compared to other forms of media that you pay for, where the dollar per hour ratio is a lot higher. If you go to the movies you are paying $8 for 2 hours of entertainment. That's a $4 per hour ratio, not as good as simple DLC. Say you go to an arcade and spend $10 in 2 hours, that's a $5 per hour ratio. Say you go to an amusement park, laser tag, go-karting, sky diving, bungie jumping...whatever form of entertainment you like...it's not going to match up with 1 dollar per hour of entertainment. That's the way I see it anyways...

I think its nickle and diming us. Im not cully complaining about it but if the DLC was 50/50 on what was free n wats payable at at a reasonable cost i wouldnt care too much but every download is overpriced IMO.

I would personally rather pay and get something good than not pay and get something that might not be as nice. I mean I wouldn't buy extra costumes. I would buy extra maps and the characters better be individual. Because some I won't want unless it hindered my ability to kick ass online.

The $60 price tag applies to American consumers. Depending where you live, prices for newly-released video games can be significantly higher.

Knowing full well the possibilities of DCL, video game developers can plan or even start developing well ahead of time. Is locking content in a disc that much different than deliberately omitting data from the disk so they can be released later as DLC? Software companies are out there to make money after all. That being said, the whether you think it's worth the money depends on what you want to want to get out of the game.

Last edited:

I am generally against DLC since more often or not the content is either already on the disk or the final product is short changed so they can sell the rest for DLC. I want to get the DLC for MK but I have to be honest, if I feel like they are trying to nickle and dime me I will skip it.

I've said it before, but if this game is as awesome as I think it will be, I'll pay for any and all DLC they release for it, regardless of price or redundancy.

Still, I do hope they'll put in some effort to give us more value for our buck. (Super) Street Fighter IV DLC was absolutely valueless.

It was said in an interveiw thats some DLC would be free. I really hope we get some free arenas with stage fatality's let people decide if they want the (boring ) retro look costumes.

I've said it before, but if this game is as awesome as I think it will be, I'll pay for any and all DLC they release for it, regardless of price or redundancy.

Still, I do hope they'll put in some effort to give us more value for our buck. (Super) Street Fighter IV DLC was absolutely valueless.

thats just it, if there is no value for the price I will skip it regardless of how bad I want it. I hope that wont be the case with MK as with so many other games.

I dont mind DLC as long as its good and priced right. It doesnt matter if its on the disc or not, either way the company decided to make it DLC. Actually i prefer it to be on the disc because it saves space on my hard drive.

I love DLC. Obviously I would like the content to be free but it's a small price to pay for getting new characters (if they are of equal quality as the original roster, I will be so happy)

OK I understand that some games may hold content out to sell as DLC later but do you really think this is one of them? Let me break it down this way, there is more characters out of the box in this game than there is playable and unlockable characters in any other Mortal Kombat excluding MKT and MKA. There is 26 characters slots shown on the select screen so based on that 26 characters and 27 for PS3. Mortal Kombat had 7, MK2 had 12, MK3 had 16, UMK3 added 9 to give it 25 but you had to pay full price and buy a new game to get the extra content, MK4 had 18, MKDA had 24 and MKD had 25. So this Mortal Kombat has more content in it for your $60 than any other Mortal Kombat ever. Please correct if I am wrong on any of my numbers but that is my case for we are getting more than what we pay for.