I have a great idea for Shang Tsung's moveset.

UncleRuckus

We have had the debate about wanting Shang to be able to morph and all but, utlimately it has been determined that the morping ability is to much for a disc to deal with in mid fight.

I propose an ingenius way to use the morping power. What if before you fight Shang Tsung he randomly turns into a specific warrior? And I am not talking about any of the characters in game. It never made sense to me that he could mimick all the characters exactly anyway, especially when his power is derived from the souls he has consumed. Instead he should turn into warriors who's soul he has consumed or, bosses that dont make the game. The original Kung Lao(would really make since), maybe even King Jerrod(even though Kahn probably has his soul), Kintaro, Moloch, the Dragon King, or even the dreaded Motaro. And he would also be able to stay in his true form if he chooses. All this would be decided randomly before each round or, if he ends up being playable the player decides before each round. What do you think of this idea?

No. You would have a choice of who you want to turn into before the battle and thats if Shang is playable.
@Immortal-Ok let me clarify. The point is to have an excuse to put other characters into the game that wont make the story, give a reason to show past characters(King Jerrod and The Great Kung Lao), to make sense of Shangs Tranformation powers/soul consuming, and of course to make the boss fight more epic using other warriors power. I hope that this cleared it up better.

Last edited:
So basically picking Shang Tsung would be the exact same as the random character select option.

No thanks.

I guess he meant kharacters which are not selectable in the character screen, but a warrior whose soul has been consumed by Shang.

Like Kenshi's ancestors, or the Great Kung Lao.

Instead he should turn into warriors who's soul he has consumed or, bosses that dont make the game. The original Kung Lao(would really make since), maybe even King Jerrod(even though Kahn probably has his soul), Kintaro, Moloch, the Dragon King, or even the dreaded Motaro. And he would also be able to stay in his true form if he chooses. All this would be decided randomly before each round or, if he ends up being playable the player decides before each round. What do you think of this idea?

I know Immortal Reaver doesn't seem to get it, but I get ya. Seems like a damn good idea to me.
I mean... there would be a transformation combination right? You wouldn't have to fight the whole fight
as the selected character, eh?

That's how it was done in the PS1 ports of MK3, but this game is supposed to be shooting for a cleaner finish, regardless of hardware issues, so who knows?

How about when Shang Tsung does his soul steal move instead of taking health away from his opponent Shang barrows the opponents moves for a bit?

Has it been absolutely, 200% confirmed that Shang wont have the ability to morph? If so, thats the worst news Ive heard about this game in a long time...

Shang Tsung being able to morph into my character is good enough for me.

He could serve as a boss & mirror match battle in one; an intriguing idea is to break up the battle with him into sequences:

First you would see him morph into your character. In this form he can only cause as much damage as you, but once you deplete his health bar, he would morph back into himself, regaining full health and able to deliver devastating attacks. There could be a quick transitional scene prior to each form, perhaps taunting followed by an elaborate morph.
So basically it's an endurance mode of sorts, and to compensate for losing his full morphing ability, emphasis is placed on the mirror match aspect and on the morph itself. This is with Old Shang in mind.

As a playable Young Shang (if that's the case), you would also only be able to morph into your opponent's character, but of course without the special transitions that Old Boss would have.

Also, I really hope that his old version 'floats' like in MK1.

Has it been absolutely, 200% confirmed that Shang wont have the ability to morph? If so, thats the worst news Ive heard about this game in a long time...

if thats the case dont make him playable,i rather fight him as a boss than use him like a regular character,what would be his purpose?his moves were the same as quan chi's when they took his morphing ability

i say shang tsung should have a few of the other characters moves in his move set. not too many, but a few of the good moves from popular characters. like scorpions spear, reptiles invisibility, and a few more. but he wouldnt need something like kanos knife throw or lui kangs fireball because he already has flaming skulls. like hed have his flaming skulls, his ground fireballs, and mabey like 8-10 other moves from other characters.

WOW NOW THATS A GOOD IDEA!!! if they cant fit him turning into everyone on the disk then YES when he uses soul steal you gain health BUT when using ENHANCED soul steal u gain the appearance of the fighter who you used it on and the moves for a limited duration<<<<THAT IDEA IS GREAT!!! Good Job SilentHunter!!!
^^^
This.
A Soul Steal where he takes your health, and an enhanced Morph Soul Steal are ideal.
That way you wouldn't have to memorize 26+ morphs, and it wouldn't take up disc space.
It would just load 3 character models before the fight (the opponent, Shang Tsung and Shang Tsung's morph).

i say shang tsung should have a few of the other characters moves in his move set. not too many, but a few of the good moves from popular characters. like scorpions spear, reptiles invisibility, and a few more. but he wouldnt need something like kanos knife throw or lui kangs fireball because he already has flaming skulls. like hed have his flaming skulls, his ground fireballs, and mabey like 8-10 other moves from other characters.

Agh, but then you'd be sending him down the road of Shujinko. And that guy was a shitpile. The idea of him being about to morph into his opponent is preeeetty cool

Agh, but then you'd be sending him down the road of Shujinko. And that guy was a shitpile. The idea of him being about to morph into his opponent is preeeetty cool

well i dont really mean to send him down that road. like if he did what silentkiller suggested, which isnt a bad idea, he would only be able to do the moves of that exact character. i feel like in the earlier mk's what made shan tsung so good was that he could do anyones moves to anyone (if he morphed into them of course). like he could freeze jax, or do the spear to lui kang, not have to be against sub zero to freeze him or be against scorpion to do the spear. i meant if they gave him a larger set of other characters moves not like a fireball and a stupid looking punch (or whatever it was) like shujinko did, it would be better because then you couldnt predict whos move he would use. like if you were fighting against him. thats how i was looking at it. but silentkiller's idea is still good to.

Last edited: