I actually think MKDA was a half way descent game.

It really is too bad you can't go online to play this game VS other players. The only thing that was lacking in the game were dynamic characters and Combo breakers.

The backgrounds and arenas were very good. The characters in MKDA were very good also. The gameplay, while a little slow, was also good. Combos were good. Should this game go online one day? But with some heavy modifications? A revamp if you will?

This game has a special place in my heart because it caught me by surprise. I knew literally nothing about this game, I went to Gamestop to buy a game with some money I just won and BAM, I was face to face with a new MK. Boner can not even begin describe what was in my pants that day.

Boner can not even begin describe what was in my pants that day.

Gosh - well that's interesting, ha! Ok well, no offence to Midway/NRS/Ed's team, but... In my opinion MKDA was the WORST in the series. To the point that thinking about it actually makes me angry. What didn't I like about it? Ughh, well the very anticlimactic boss fights, for one thing. Sure, Moloch was definitely a challenge but then we have either Shang Tsung or Quan Chi as the final battle and... they both sucked ass. As in, they were easy as hell. Not intimidating in any way and there was no gimmik or anything that gave the impression you were fighting an end boss.

Plus, there was a sort of konquest mode in MKDA too if I’m not mistaken which was just a sort of tutorial with ...*shudder* Bo Rai Cho leading the way. The new characters were uninspired, the intro was aesthetically... crap. The endings were lame too. Scorpion gets ripped apart by a soulnado?? Awesome! I feel so rewarded! 0_o

definitely the best of the PS2/Xbox 1 generation 3d games. Not saying a whole lot, but had they followed up this engine instead of basically abandoning it in MKD, things might had been different. :/ oh well.

definitely the best of the PS2/Xbox 1 generation 3d games. Not saying a whole lot, but had they followed up this engine instead of basically abandoning it in MKD, things might had been different. :/ oh well.

Not to mention that MKD had a lot of infinites and MKA was just plain horrible in many ways. They did abandon that good engine didn't they?

Not to mention that MKD had a lot of infinites and MKA was just plain horrible in many ways. They did abandon that good engine didn't they?

in essence, yes. as far as those 3 games go, DA had the most potential.

MKD blew, gameplay wise, but it still gave us probably the best non MK game side game thingy....the Konquest, not the MKDA training mode Konquest, but the almost RPG like MKD Konquest.

I'd still love to see something like that happen, but on a bigger MUCH BIGGER scale.

The only MK fighting game that exists to this day without Liu Kang and without the traditional uppercut.

Yeah, that definitely spells FAIL.

I liked it. I played through everything. including conquest for every character and unlocking all krypts at a friends house. The fact that Liu Kang died was a good move in my opinion. showing that it's actually "Mortal" Kombat. But the zombie thing was just awful. I could have liked it if they used his chain hooks for weapons... but no.

Deadly Alliance was the game that brought me back to MK (I had only played MK3 before) and made me fall in love with the series! I also think it had a great collection of new characters and one of the best rosters. Whilst the engine was far from perfect, I still loved the game and is probably the MK game I've played more then any other!

Well, on a personal note, MKDA did get me back into MK after a while away from the series, and it brought me to this site for the first time, so it has a special place in my heart for those reasons anyway...

I won't bother comparing it to the 2d MK's, because that's been done to death on these forums, but I will compare it to MKD, because before I came to this thread my prevailing opinion was that MKD was better

I didn't think they "went away from that engine" as you say, necessarily, but there were some changes between MKDA and MKD that I didn't like, come to think of it. Contrary to what one of you implied, the re-inclusion of the traditional uppercut in MKD turned out to not really bring much to 3d kombat like it did in 2d. I think 3d MK was better without it. Also, I much preferred MKDA's natural combo timing as opposed to MKD's "press them as fast as possible." I know they were trying to get back to the way combos were done in MK3, but at least in MK3 the characters on screen performed the combos almost as fast as you pressed the buttons. The lag time between the button-pushing and the on-screen animation in MKD was off-putting. MKDA was much better in that regard (in most cases, anyway *glares at Cyrax*). I didn't much like the impale moves in MKDA, though (especially Kitana's where you lose her fans even if it doesn't connect), and I'm glad they took those out of MKD.

Character-wise, there seemed to be more classic characters in MKDA than MKD, and I liked that. It was nice to see some MK3 characters return in MKD, but I didn't like that so many MK1-2 characters were missing unlike MKDA. I understand it had to be done with where they were going with the story, but still. Also, I actually liked the death of Liu Kang in MKDA, and not because I'm a Liu Kang hater like some of you. I just thought it was a great twist in the story. As far as new characters go, MKDA's new characters were much better story-wise, but not as good fighting-wise as the MKD new characters. It was nice to see that the few new characters that were actually good (Bo' Rai Cho, Li Mei, Kenshi) actually stuck around for MKD.

I didn't much like the idea of unlocking characters with koins. This is somewhat mitigated by the fact that I could go online and find out exactly which koffins had the characters, but it's still annoying. I much preferred MKD's idea of unlocking characters by performing specific tasks in Konquest.

One thing I didn't much like in MKDA was the fatalities. It's the only MK other than MK1 where each character only had 1 fatality. You would think that with so few fatalities, the quality would at least be good. Instead, we got Quan Chi's infamous neck stretcher. Ick.

Konquest mode was nice, but I much preferred MKD's version. It would be nice to see something like that one in an MK game again.

All in all, it appears from this examination that MKDA was actually better than I've been giving it credit for. I'm going to have to go play it again...

I enjoyed Deadly Alliance (as well as the other two) plenty when they came out originally, but man, after unlocking everything, I've just had no desire to go back to any of them. I haven't played DA since I got Deception, I haven't played Deception since I got Armageddon, and I haven't played Armageddon since I got MK vs. DC.

I enjoyed Deadly Alliance (as well as the other two) plenty when they came out originally, but man, after unlocking everything, I've just had no desire to go back to any of them. I haven't played DA since I got Deception, I haven't played Deception since I got Armageddon, and I haven't played Armageddon since I got MK vs. DC.

I actually played Deadly Alliance for 2 years after it came out non-stop. I regard it as kind of a classic now. MKD was flawed, but I still enjoyed playing against the AI and online for 2 more years. MKA and MK VS DCU I just could not get into. Let me hope that I could get into Mortal Kombat 9. I have a feeling that I will, but one could never know, I could be wrong.

My nephew let me barrow deception I've never played it before so I played it a bunch over the weekend It just doesnt feel like MK. The moves and combos are nothing like any MK Ive played. Im trying my best to like it but I just cant bring myself to do it.

My nephew let me barrow deception I've never played it before so I played it a bunch over the weekend It just doesnt feel like MK. The moves and combos are nothing like any MK Ive played. Im trying my best to like it but I just cant bring myself to do it.

You're right. It doesn't feel like MK. It's like a bad knock off.

i liked DA and D, but other than that, the others were crap, MKvDCU was again ok, but MKII is always the best, i liked the gore in DA the blood flowed in a realistic way, not blocky like in MKD,and MKA, it seemed unfinished for some reason

Who said it was a bad game? I thought most MK fans liked it. I think MKDA saved MK from going under from diasasters like MKM,MK4, and Special forces.