UMK3 App Review

Outworld Imp

My brother and I recently downloaded the Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 app. This is the recently released 3D remake, and here is my review.

The Positives...
First off, the app does a great job graphically. While it isn't the original 2D game, the 3D graphics hark back to the latter days of arcades. They're not absolutely amazing, but they're detailed enough to do their job. Almost every stage from UMK3 returns and looks great! The character models are one in the same.

The original sound is mostly intact and sounds great through whatever Apple accessory you use. In this case, my bro's iPod touch.

The app comes with the original arcade mode (with Choose Your Destiny) along with some new modes such as Shao Karnage and Survival Mode.

The Negatives...
The roster has been cut significantly. There are only eleven Kombatants: Liu Kang, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Sonya, Stryker, Jax, Kitana, Nightwolf, and Sheeva, with Ermac and Jade as unlockables. Killer Kombatants such as Kabal, Cyrax, Kano, and Reptile have been left out.

The touch controls are unresponsive at times, mainly the directional pad. Attack buttons work out fine. You'll find yourself struggling to perform special moves.

The framerate gets choppy at times.

And that's pretty much it. 7/10