Fatality

Re: Fatality!

How is it a stupid question? Historically, several MK fatalities do not end with the character's normal victory pose... usually in cases where it wouldn't make much sense after the fatality animation. I think it should stay that way. If it makes sense in context, they should do it. If not, then no.

Re: Fatality!

How is it a stupid question? Historically, several MK fatalities do not end with the character's normal victory pose... usually in cases where it wouldn't make much sense after the fatality animation. I think it should stay that way. If it makes sense in context, they should do it. If not, then no.

my bad.i miss read the post.

My only real concern regarding fatalities is that they're not going to go beyond the dismemberments we've seen so far. Given the fact that they went through the trouble of modeling the insides of every character, they could be so much more creative with this stuff.

Yes! I want to see intestines dropping on the floor when Johnny Cage rips off the torso in his fatality. Also, when Kung Lao holds up the two parts of his victim there are no internal organs falling out. I was wondering "Why not? That would be so impressive..." They don't really have to change the fatalities we've seen so far (except for Scorpion's 2nd and Reptile's fatality), just add some guts 'n gore to the ones that involve victims being cut in half. And yes, do something creative with the insides in unrevealed fatalities. Hang a victim from a tree in the living forest as a stage fatality. Rip out someones entrails, twist it around the neck and hang him/her from a tree to suffocate. Yes, it's over-the-top, but funny nonetheless.

But then i read some posts on YouTube (on the MKCommunityManager page) that got me a bit worried.

Some guy was saying that the fatalities weren't brutal enough and someone else replied:
"...you should also understand that they have to stck to a limit with fatalaties due to their mature rating"

Now, I'm a European guy who doesn't know much about the American rating system. I thought that the Mature rating was the highest rating you could get, but apparently there's also an AO (Adult Only) rating. And the AO rating is not just for sexual content but also for extreme violence (Mature rating= intense violence).
I guess this is common knowledge to Americans, but it was new to me.

Wanting to know more, I found some info about the AO rating and was kind of disappointed to read the following: "Companies like Sony Computer Entertainment, Microsoft & Nintendo have all of the many policies that they will not license an AO rated game for the Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, & PlayStation 3."
(The source of that statement is Wikipedia, so hopefully it is not true, but there are more sites stating the same.)

So, my question is this: Is it true that MK can never get a higher rating than Mature and therefore has keep the gore toned down to a certain level? Because, if they go AO, the game can never be published? (Not on consoles at least) Is that the reason why we don't get to see guts on the floor like previously mentioned?

Also, if this info is true, where do you draw the line between intense and extreme violence?
(Bah, that would be a horrible discussion, just give me extreme violence :twisted: )

But if i cannot get the level of gore that i hoped for graphically, i want them to at least put in really agonizing screams during fatalities. I'd like to see cops at my door, because my neighbours thought there was a massacre going on in my appartment. (Not really though, but you catch my drift)

Yes! I want to see intestines dropping on the floor when Johnny Cage rips off the torso in his fatality. Also, when Kung Lao holds up the two parts of his victim there are no internal organs falling out. I was wondering "Why not? That would be so impressive..." They don't really have to change the fatalities we've seen so far (except for Scorpion's 2nd and Reptile's fatality), just add some guts 'n gore to the ones that involve victims being cut in half. And yes, do something creative with the insides in unrevealed fatalities. Hang a victim from a tree in the living forest as a stage fatality. Rip out someones entrails, twist it around the neck and hang him/her from a tree to suffocate. Yes, it's over-the-top, but funny nonetheless.

But then i read some posts on YouTube (on the MKCommunityManager page) that got me a bit worried.

Some guy was saying that the fatalities weren't brutal enough and someone else replied:
"...you should also understand that they have to stck to a limit with fatalaties due to their mature rating"

Now, I'm a European guy who doesn't know much about the American rating system. I thought that the Mature rating was the highest rating you could get, but apparently there's also an AO (Adult Only) rating. And the AO rating is not just for sexual content but also for extreme violence (Mature rating= intense violence).
I guess this is common knowledge to Americans, but it was new to me.

Wanting to know more, I found some info about the AO rating and was kind of disappointed to read the following: "Companies like Sony Computer Entertainment, Microsoft & Nintendo have all of the many policies that they will not license an AO rated game for the Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, & PlayStation 3."
(The source of that statement is Wikipedia, so hopefully it is not true, but there are more sites stating the same.)

So, my question is this: Is it true that MK can never get a higher rating than Mature and therefore has keep the gore toned down to a certain level? Because, if they go AO, the game can never be published? (Not on consoles at least) Is that the reason why we don't get to see guts on the floor like previously mentioned?

Also, if this info is true, where do you draw the line between intense and extreme violence?
(Bah, that would be a horrible discussion, just give me extreme violence :twisted: )

But if i cannot get the level of gore that i hoped for graphically, i want them to at least put in really agonizing screams during fatalities. I'd like to see cops at my door, because my neighbours thought there was a massacre going on in my appartment. (Not really though, but you catch my drift)

Very impressive post my friend, but yes the retarded ESRB does give away an AO rating to games that have extreme violence, manhunt 2 was given an AO rating, and it had to be toned down due to the intense, graphic ways you can kill people in the game. So yes, MK does in a way have to tone down the blood and gore to a certain level in order for the game to be released with a mature rating in the US and Canada, because it is true, consoles do not allow AO games. The European system is more lenient than the ESRB, Deathstroke and Joker's fatalities were censored in Canada and America because the ESRB deemed them too violent for a teen rated game. In europe, the fatalities were uncensored.

The style of brutalities was always pretty lame, but I like the idea behind it. It's something that can be done by any character of the cast because its basically just beating the ever loving **** out the opponent with your bare hands. Obviously each character should have a unique brutality, but you see my point.
I think it'd be a great idea if they re-created Brutalities so that they looked more badass, and still provided the same gruesome feel of a fatality.

They should do away with the combo style attack ending with an explosion. Instead, they should make it one long x-ray attack even more bone splitting than the regular x-ray. That way, they can get away from the dismemberments and keep things fresh with a real beatdown leading up to the opponent's demise.

mmm i never really liked the brutalities, but that's just me

I'm kind of hoping each character will have 2 and 1 classic fatality
i hope they do a Dragon fatality for Kang

Very impressive post my friend, but yes the retarded ESRB does give away an AO rating to games that have extreme violence, manhunt 2 was given an AO rating, and it had to be toned down due to the intense, graphic ways you can kill people in the game. So yes, MK does in a way have to tone down the blood and gore to a certain level in order for the game to be released with a mature rating in the US and Canada, because it is true, consoles do not allow AO games. The European system is more lenient than the ESRB, Deathstroke and Joker's fatalities were censored in Canada and America because the ESRB deemed them too violent for a teen rated game. In europe, the fatalities were uncensored.

Thanks for your reply Taj, i appreciate that. But... wow.... that really sucks. Don't they understand that adults can judge for themselves whether or not something is "too violent"? To me, there is no such thing as "too violent" (in video-games or movies). That's like having too much money in your bankaccount, simply impossible.

But if i add up all the info i've got so far, this is not really the ESRB's fault, but Sony's (and Microsoft etc.) for banning these games from their consoles. I guess there's nothing wrong with having certain ratings for games, i can kind of understand that an 8 year old shouldn't play MK9. But banning all AO rated games from consoles?!... that's quite patronizing to everyone who is 18+.

Yet, i still hope that what we've seen so far is a toned down (U.S.) version and i will still get what i was hoping for. I really want NR to produce a version for Europe (and perhaps Asia? I don't know about their rating system either) that will include more guts and gore, but i doubt that.

Well, thanks again Taj... thanks for shattering my dreams. (Heheh, just kidding)

In my opinion there will be 3 fatalities for each character ( i hope so, it wouldn't be nice in this brande new awesome mk some characters have more fatalities than other )
Subzero has 3 fatalities so far:
Half Rip, half frozen
Head Rip
And frost body crushed ( in mk trailer it can be saw)

That's my opinio guys, later ;D

I think 2 will be available from the start, and 1 more via DLC.

Personally, I would love to see 2 original Fatalities on the disc from the start, and 1 Classic Fatality via DLC packages.

FOR EXAMPLE:

Ninja Classic Fatality package ===> (Sub Zero's Spine Rip, Scorpion's Toasty, Reptile's Head Eat)
Special Forces Classic Fatality Package ===> (Sonya's Kiss of Death, Jax's Arm Rip / Head Clap)
Shaolin Monks Classic Fatality package ===> (Kung Lao's Hat Decapitation / Body Split, Liu Kang's MK II Dragon)

I still think MK 9 WON'T be rated AO, regardless of Heart Rip (Kano), Stomach Rip (Reptile), Spine Rip (Sub Zero) etc, etc, etc.
This is what MK is known for.
For 19 years MK gore has been M-rated.

I don't see this game being any different, as far as the ESRB rating goes.

Last edited:
I still think MK 9 WON'T be rated AO, regardless of Heart Rip (Kano), Stomach Rip (Reptile), Spine Rip (Sub Zero) etc, etc, etc.
This is what MK is known for.
For 19 years MK gore has been M-rated.

I don't see this game being any different, as far as the ESRB rating goes.

Yeahhh i get what you mean, but what im saying is that they cant use the MOST GRAPHIC WAYS EVER for fatalities and such because of what happened to Manhunt 2. Its gonna be gory enough for us, obviously, but they really cant go intensely overboard, like manhunt 2 did, as well. Even Boon said that he was scared of MK9 getting an AO rating, so yeah its gonna be gory enough, what weve seen so far is M rated for sure, but my guessing is that they may have had more intense ideas.

Thanks for your reply Taj, i appreciate that. But... wow.... that really sucks. Don't they understand that adults can judge for themselves whether or not something is "too violent"? To me, there is no such thing as "too violent" (in video-games or movies). That's like having too much money in your bankaccount, simply impossible.

But if i add up all the info i've got so far, this is not really the ESRB's fault, but Sony's (and Microsoft etc.) for banning these games from their consoles. I guess there's nothing wrong with having certain ratings for games, i can kind of understand that an 8 year old shouldn't play MK9. But banning all AO rated games from consoles?!... that's quite patronizing to everyone who is 18+.

Yet, i still hope that what we've seen so far is a toned down (U.S.) version and i will still get what i was hoping for. I really want NR to produce a version for Europe (and perhaps Asia? I don't know about their rating system either) that will include more guts and gore, but i doubt that.

Well, thanks again Taj... thanks for shattering my dreams. (Heheh, just kidding)

Its not the fact that adults are able to judge what is too violent, but the fact that the ESRB doesnt want children exposed to such things. Which is definitely retarded, because if your kid is gonna go on a bloody rampage killing people just because of what they saw in a video game, then they shouldnt be playing games at all, its not the game's fault at all, clearly the child is not mentally stable enough to play. Its the parents responsibility to show know what your kid is like, the ESRB is just a guideline for them. I dont understand why consoles arent allowing AO games to be published for them, sure a kid might pick it up and play it, but thats not the console or the game's problem, its the parents problem and its up to the standards they set in the household that determine if its okay or not to play them. If the kid goes buckwild after, then its the parents' fault and the kid's to some degree as well for actually believing the game simulates real life. I remember in Toronto a few years back, some kid was completely obsessed with COD, that he would not get off his Xbox. His parents took away his Xbox, and then he ran away from home. On the run, the police tracked him down to a forest, and while he was hiding in a tree, he accidentally fell to his death. During the whole search, Rogers (the internet provider in Canada) and Microsoft were helping out with the search in hopes they wouldnt be sued. Companies should not be fearing stuff like that, it is not their fault that the kid was like that. I know its tragic and all, but still, companies cannot be blamed for that stuff, it is either yours or your parents responsibility to know whats good and whats not. But unfortunately we dont live in that society, so there is an ESRB and the gaming industry are scared as hell.

I doubt that europe is gonna have a more intense version because NR studios is an American publisher and if the game that theyre making right now gets a M rating, then theyre gonna leave the game like that for everyone.

And no problem buddy :p.

Last edited:
I doubt that europe is gonna have a more intense version because NR studios is an American publisher and if the game that theyre making right now gets a M rating, then theyre gonna leave the game like that for everyone.

Don't be so sure of that.
MK vs DC (PAL) got uncensored Fatalities while America, it's HOME country, got screwed over with a T-rated (NTSC) game.

We (US) always get screwed over when it comes to violence standards.

I agree 100% with you though, Taj.
Parents should watch what their kids are playing, and stop blaming the gaming industry for their children's inadequacies.

Maybe i misread something somewhere before but are each characters having 3 fatalities for real or will some characters have that privilage.
Also when u think about it most characters already have 3 if u count stage fatalities.
I like the idea of 2 new fatalities plus 1 classic in their fatality list.

Don't be so sure of that.
MK vs DC (PAL) got uncensored Fatalities while America, it's HOME country, got screwed over with a T-rated (NTSC) game.

We (US) always get screwed over when it comes to violence standards.

Yeah but they were under the impression that the original cut of the game they made would accomplish a T rating. It unfortunately didnt, so they censored it for America and Canada, and left the game the way it is for Europe. What I am trying to say is that if THIS cut of MK9 makes the M rating, WHICH IT SHOULD, then they wouldnt make an ultra gory, super sized european version, because of their high violence standards. It would be impractical because it would piss the shit out of the American and Canadian fans. The only reason why they didnt censor the european version is because that was the original idea, and why screw over the europeans by censoring their game as well, when its perfectly okay in Europe.

I don't want any Friendships or Babalities in the new Mortal Kombat. I would be extremely happy with 3 Fatalities per character.

Sub-Zero currently has 4
Freeze lower body and then Half Rip
Head Rip
Punch into the chest pull out their spin, with skull attached; Freeze body with other hand and brake with frozen spin/skull
And frost body crushed with Ice Sword

Scorpion has 2 currently
Body Slice, Head Decap, Head Sliced in half

Leg Sliced at the knees

I'm also hoping for a classic Fire Breather fatality.

I don't want any Friendships or Babalities in the new Mortal Kombat. I would be extremely happy with 3 Fatalities per character.

Sub-Zero currently has 4
Freeze lower body and then Half Rip
Head Rip
Punch into the chest pull out their spin, with skull attached; Freeze body with other hand and brake with frozen spin/skull
And frost body crushed with Ice Sword

Scorpion has 2 currently
Body Slice, Head Decap, Head Sliced in half

Leg Sliced at the knees

I'm also hoping for a classic Fire Breather fatality.

Where have you ever seen a "frost body crushed with ice sword" fatality from sub zero in this game... please show your source if you can!

personally I would love for this game to go the george nicotero route and have guts spilling, arteries squirting, and brains leaking. unfortunately we can't have that kind of supreme awesomeness in any game. sure we can buy unrated dvds and see all kinds of glorious violence not suitable for the theaters but we can't play games with too much violence or nudity.

personally I blame the parents. if anyone has the audacity to ask why I will simply reply with, go to the toy isle in walmart. these people have no control over their children. they try to negotiate with a 6yo! I have also seen parents buying these games with their kids present. if you see a parent buying an M rated game and there is a kid present with them chances are the kid is gonna end up either seeing it or playing it at some point because the parents don't want to be hypocrites, these people don't know how to say no. I want to know when did any parent have to explain themselves to a child? last I knew they I hear these lil brats screaming at the top of their lungs "I hate you, I wish you were dead!" I wish I had the gall to say something like that to my parents. they would have made sure that I couldn't sit for a week. bottom lines parents need to grow some backbone and take their houses back. they need to draw the line and say" LOOK! this is for adults, this is for children. stop giving them everything they want when they want it.

I remember when I was a kid when parents told you NO and that was it. no back talk no negotiations the parents knew their place and the kids knew theirs what happened? we shouldn't have to tone down what we like as adults. we have lived this long and made it this far to decide for ourselves what is proper and what isn't. and not trying to exclude anyone but I can't stand seeing these kids come into these posts and talk about how they have been playing since they were seven. don't you realize that that is just the kind of shit the media loves? they can't wait for someone like you to say that. then they can bring back the argument that these products are not being moderated and are falling into the hands of minors. GO PLAY STREET FIGHTER *****ES!!! MK is for older teens and adults. not snot nosed prepubescent welps.

Where have you ever seen a "frost body crushed with ice sword" fatality from sub zero in this game... please show your source if you can!

Well I can't say it is confirmed there was a picture
2w4fdsm.jpg

I also found this on Youtube

In The E3 Fatality Montage Scorpion cuts a kombatants legs at the knee Check it out it's at 1:06 but that's all it shows.

umm taj gill if the UK does not ban the new MK game then I do not think that this game will get the AO rating in the US, Manhunt 2 got the AO rating over 3 years ago and had a sexual kill like the castration.Try making more sense.Of course someone just has to bring up the AO rating if there is a fatality topic

And the reason why Ed Boon got scared about the AO rating is because of AO obsessed morons that kept asking him if he is afraid of the AO rating.When Manhunt 2 got the AO rating that sure enough caused alot of morons now to keep on talking about.And morbyr why would Europe get a more violent version of Mortal Kombat when alot of games out there are censored while they are uncut in the US?

Please use the edit button located in the bottom right corner of your posts if you have something further to add to your current post. Thank you, K1LL - TRMK Staff

Last edited by a moderator: