Shang Tsung

Jason St Germain

I think it would be SUPERTITS if Shang Tsung can FINALLY have his morphs back as a playable character. Just like in the days of MKII and MK3.

**fingers crossed**

I agree. The issue is how fast the character the morph into can be loaded off the DVD or Blu-Ray.

it wont happen, they said time and time again it wont, so lets leave it at that.

He's right. Boon said Shang can't morph anymore because of memory issues, They can't load full characters out of the blue.

Although now that I think about it they probably could do what they did in Trilogy where you select the characters you morph into before the fight. It might only work outside of tag mode though :(

Putting aside the technical issues of in-game morphing, I think Shang Tsung shouldn't be able to do that mid-fight since morphing is a magical ability which requires focus and more time than the average fight move. Kinda like resurrecting a character from the Netherrealm ;)

Wait... So it was possible in the original games... But isn't possible now?

How does that work? lol

I think i remember Boon saying because the original 3 were arcade based as opposed to dvd so there was no loading, or because the characters were small and simple. I don't remember it's one of those.:)
They can't do it now because you would have to wait for the character to load in and out and that would destroy the flow of the fight.

I'd love to see Shang Tsung's morphs again too, but yeah - I did hear that wouldn't be on the cards again. Still, even if they can't have him transform during gameplay, it would be cool to see his morphing ability enter into the story-line in some way. At least we could have him morphing in a cut-scene or something right? That'd be cool.

I think i remember Boon saying because the original 3 were arcade based as opposed to dvd so there was no loading, or because the characters were small and simple. I don't remember it's one of those.:)
They can't do it now because you would have to wait for the character to load in and out and that would destroy the flow of the fight.

Damn, you'd think the PS3 would be able to pull that off.

I asked this to Alexander Barrentine some time ago:

@acbarrentine hi alex, is there any chance for shang's morphs in this console gen? any kind of data dump to hd for fast loading or anything?
his response:
@interloko It's Alexander, please. We use a side-by-side caching scheme on both consoles. Can't talk about Shang Tsung.

He's right. Boon said Shang can't morph anymore because of memory issues, They can't load full characters out of the blue.

Although now that I think about it they probably could do what they did in Trilogy where you select the characters you morph into before the fight. It might only work outside of tag mode though :(

so how does m vs c do it?and smash bros?they be having all kind of shit popping on screen

Damn, you'd think the PS3 would be able to pull that off.

Another thing to consider is the format of today's games vs that of the early 90s. Cartridges (like those used by the Genesis and SNES) can load MUCH faster, but were also more expensive to produce. Modern games favor disks, which are cheaper and have a comparable if not better capacity. If you compare MK3 on the SNES with the PS, Shang Tsung was able to morph instantly while the PS version took about about a minute to load a character.

Last edited:
so how does m vs c do it?and smash bros?they be having all kind of shit popping on screen

Yeah. That's true. Doesn't Zelda morph into Sheik in Smash Bros? How is it that a Nintendo Wii can pull that off and not a PS3?

Keep in mind - I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to how these systems work. I just know that the Wii isn't as powerful as the 360 and PS3. So an explanation would be great.

it well be badass if he can morph on a tag on a tag team match and turn into shao kahn and uppercit his oppenent one time with the hammer and morph into himself and finsih the combo

or when he is just in there to help his parther and morph into shao kahn and just uppercut him and morph into himself and leave

Smash Bros Brawl is made on a special dual layer disk as it is a huge game (twice the size of most Wii games)

Now it's harder than ever for NR to do Shang's morphs since each character is modeled on the inside and out, if anything they should have him just "borrow" certain characters signature moves.
For example, Shang could do Cage's shadow kick (just an example) but instead of staying as Jhonny Cage for a set time, he just uses his "skin" for the duration of the special move

^^
Either that, or give him Shinnok's move-steal ability from MK 4.

I could also understand not being able to morph Shang Tsung, due to the internal and external modeling.

Last edited:
All i know is that since cartridge games had no load times, unlike CDs, DVDs and BDs it was no problem morphing because you can access the memory easily. With DVDs and BDs, there is load times, and since the character data is so huge now because of the graphics quality, it would take too long to load a characters data into the progressing game. What they could do is have all the character data loaded up fully when you choose shang tsung, before the fight begins, but then youre looking at a 30 minute load time probably before the fight actually starts.