new ed boon interview 10/26/10

I'm happy that they're trying to create characters with different strengths. Something like that always adds extra thought and improvisation when fighting in different match-ups. Finally it seems like MK will be straying from "this is blank's best combo. the more you do this combo, the better you do" type feel.

im worried about this part,,

Shack: In the build I played, the X-ray move was rather simple to perform (two buttons). Is this final? It seems like for moves such as these, semi-difficult execution is often needed to help balance their damage output.

Ed Boon: While we are still in the process of developing and tuning the X-ray moves, we do feel that we want the move to be simple to perform so that players of all levels can experience the X-ray moves and we don't want anyone to be held back by complicated button sequences. There is some resource management involved as players will need a full meter in order to pull off the X-Ray moves (if they haven't been using it for Breakers or enhanced special moves) so the challenge will be in getting that full meter and deciding how to take advantage of it.

im not keen that they seem to want to make the game easy for everyone to play, ive seen lots of interviews where edd says its a fan service and hes always saying its more for the hardcore fans of the original MKs, but still they want to make it easy to play for newcomers??

i say just make the game for the advanced players who want to get really good at it, isnt that the whole point? i mean who buys a fighting game just to tinkle on once a week and not really master how to be the best?
me personally, i want to go all out and master a new amazing and advanced detailed game.
The game should be mainly focused on advanced fighting to me thats the whole point in this game

im worried about this part,,

Shack: In the build I played, the X-ray move was rather simple to perform (two buttons). Is this final? It seems like for moves such as these, semi-difficult execution is often needed to help balance their damage output.

Ed Boon: While we are still in the process of developing and tuning the X-ray moves, we do feel that we want the move to be simple to perform so that players of all levels can experience the X-ray moves and we don't want anyone to be held back by complicated button sequences. There is some resource management involved as players will need a full meter in order to pull off the X-Ray moves (if they haven't been using it for Breakers or enhanced special moves) so the challenge will be in getting that full meter and deciding how to take advantage of it.

im not keen that they seem to want to make the game easy for everyone to play, ive seen lots of interviews where edd says its a fan service and hes always saying its more for the hardcore fans of the original MKs, but still they want to make it easy to play for newcomers??

i say just make the game for the advanced players who want to get really good at it, isnt that the whole point? i mean who buys a fighting game just to tinkle on once a week and not really master how to be the best?
me personally, i want to go all out and master a new amazing and advanced detailed game.
The game should be mainly focused on advanced fighting to me thats the whole point in this game

I wouldn't worry TOO much rocky. Ed also said that he wants hardcore elements in the game, hinting towards frame specific actions. These types of things should definitely appear, and i'd bet money that they do. Besides, why make something harder than it has to be when everyone will know how to do it eventually anyway?

i mean who buys a fighting game just to tinkle on once a week and not really master how to be the best?

Probably 80 - 90% of a fighting game's user base.

I'm by no means hardcore, but I've owned every single MK there is because I like the story and the outrageous gore. Frame specific crap is beyond where I'm willing to bother going, it's a game, not a lifestyle.

Whatever floats your boat in the end, but the dollars come from casual gamers.