Rethinking characters and how they play

kontankarite

BANALITY
So I've been thinking, and most of this will just be my imagining of retooling Scorpion to simply have a good reason to use things such as the spear move.

Now try to follow me on this, but when you play a lot of 2-D fighting games, each character does in fact have their own special style of playing. They all have their ways of controlling screen coverage and even certain mechanics of the game are more important to other characters as others. Take T. Hawk from Street Fighter. He's really a big dude with several throws and grappling moves, so parrying would be more important to him than say a character that relies heavily on striking.

Okay, so... I LOVE the spear move with Scorpion. It's iconic, really. But for something that's so integral to a character, he really doesn't use it for anything other than keeping a person close to him and it only really covers one plane of the screen.

Scorpion has always struck me as a guy who gets in close and punishes you close range. I'd like to see his teleport ability and spear to be played up on this even more. His spear needs to seriously be a huge threat. We're talking being able to go low, medium, and even high, maybe even using his spear as a good way for anti-air game. Plus, if we are to focus on that, there has to be a reason he'd use the spear so much. Maybe his better moves are really best done in close range. Maybe he has some serious throws or grapples that really punish the opponent.

I guess what I'm saying is if he's going to always have the spear move, this move should be expanded and his style of playing should really justify why his spear moves are so important.

And I think this really applies to every character. So if you were to consider how a character from Mortal Kombat would really play out on a 2-D plane, how do you think it would go? Oddly enough, I'd have a feeling that Sub Zero and Scorpion would be fairly similar in play style. Maybe sub zero would have stronger strikes or pop ups while he'd be lacking in grapple and throw strength.